Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why college players should stop playing as soon as they are on the map

https://sports.yahoo.com/stanfords-b...174329554.html

Would have been a first round pick easily. Now who knows.

Fuck playing for free. Get paid.

It depends what your goal is. Not sure if you've checked the cost of an education at Stanford recently.

That said, I don't fault any college football player for going pro or skipping bowl games. College basketball is a bit different.

Comment

Nah he wouldn't have been anywhere near a 1st round pick. Day 3 pick before the injury, now might go undrafted. His stock fell off a cliff this season.

Probably would've gone 2nd-3rd round in last year's draft though.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post
        It depends what your goal is. Not sure if you've checked the cost of an education at Stanford recently.

That said, I don't fault any college football player for going pro or skipping bowl games. College basketball is a bit different.
        Unless you're doing engineering, science, medicine or law a degree from Stanford isn't worth more than a degree from UC Merced.

The solution is every college football player needs to take out a huge insurance policy - like a 5M dollar policy paid by the college.
        Last edited by sctrojan; 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

1) The NCAA should forget this bullshit amateurism rule. Players can hire agents from the get-go. However, agents cannot talk directly with coaches (no "negotiations") and players will still not be paid directly by the universities. However, the individual will have free reign to profit off of their own image via endorsements, branding, etc, and have access to that money immediately. And declaring for the draft should have zero effect on eligibility.

2) The NFL should change their rules so that they can draft players after their freshman year, or one year out of high school. They don't have to play them immediately, but they can still draft them. Let it be like college baseball or hockey where a kid can get drafted, then decide if he needs to develop or mature more, or if they are game-ready. They can participate in training camp but can't play preseason if they are to remain eligible. Once you make the jump to pro, you can't return to play college ball...but you can test the waters all the way up to preseason (of course, your college coach might have some input on this....).

There's probably some more tweaking that needs to happen, but these are the things that stick out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post
            1) The NCAA should forget this bullshit amateurism rule. Players can hire agents from the get-go. However, agents cannot talk directly with coaches (no "negotiations") and players will still not be paid directly by the universities. However, the individual will have free reign to profit off of their own image via endorsements, branding, etc, and have access to that money immediately. And declaring for the draft should have zero effect on eligibility.

2) The NFL should change their rules so that they can draft players after their freshman year, or one year out of high school. They don't have to play them immediately, but they can still draft them. Let it be like college baseball or hockey where a kid can get drafted, then decide if he needs to develop or mature more, or if they are game-ready. They can participate in training camp but can't play preseason if they are to remain eligible. Once you make the jump to pro, you can't return to play college ball...but you can test the waters all the way up to preseason (of course, your college coach might have some input on this....).

There's probably some more tweaking that needs to happen, but these are the things that stick out to me.

A farm team like Baseball doesn't work for football because it's just a violent game - its purely bad luck if you get injured in college - lots of guys get injured in the 1st year of NFL and you're done.

The solution is to have a 1-5M dollar insurance policy taken out in the junior-senior year of college and the college pays the premiums - which isn't a whole heck of a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post

#1 could be tricky. I might be ok with some type of branding controlled through the school athletic department. You are going to have a hard time keeping agents from talking with coaches. If players go out on their own for endorsements they are going to have to be very careful. They won't be able to use any images tying them to their school and I don't see too many of them making much headway without school association.

Comment

The insurance angle also presents an interesting challenge. Who would be eligible and for how much? Would it depend on some independent draft analysis? I could see a player with poor draft stock taking an intentional shot to the knee to cash a $5 million check and splitting the money with the guy who laid the hit.

Comment

I say we get rid of college football and the NFL starts up a minor league. They do a much better job of managing things and evening them out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
                    I say we get rid of college football and the NFL starts up a minor league. They do a much better job of managing things and evening them out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                    Pro sports lack passion. It's all just so business like in the NFL. Pro teams have no loyalty to the city. If pro teams were more like premier league football teams in England - maybe I could get behind them through thick and thin.

College teams are here to stay for 100s of years. USC gives me membership - the Rams and Chargers don't.....they are here just for the money.

Comment

I feel like TE Jace Amaro should have stayed at TTU longer. It didn't go well for him in the NFL. He got picked in the 2nd round 49th pick though so hopefully he made a little money.

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

Pro sports lack passion. It's all just so business like in the NFL. Pro teams have no loyalty to the city. If pro teams were more like premier league football teams in England - maybe I could get behind them through thick and thin.

College teams are here to stay for 100s of years. USC gives me membership - the Rams and Chargers don't.....they are here just for the money.
                        I hate to say it, but other than the Lakers and Dodgers LA is an outlier of passionate sports cities. You aren't going to see a team leave Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Dallas, etc. anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X