Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for 2 while up 7

I never see this done late, and it irritates me, because it makes too much sense.

You get it, the games over. Youre up 9, two possession game. You dont get it, worst that happens is they score a TD and tie it with the PAT.

From a risk/reward standpoint it seems far better than making it a tougher 1 posession game.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Pollaski View Post
    I never see this done late, and it irritates me, because it makes too much sense.

You get it, the games over. Youre up 9, two possession game. You dont get it, worst that happens is they score a TD and tie it with the PAT.

From a risk/reward standpoint it seems far better than making it a tougher 1 posession game.

Thoughts?
    As a general rule, I oppose "chasing points". I only want to see going for 2 in do or die situations.

A 2 point conversion is still a tough play. I say take the 1 and force them to make one more play to tie.

It pisses me off when teams go for two in order to go up by 3 or 7, unless there is less than 5 minutes to go in the game (give or take a minute or two depending on the pace of the game).

Comment

It’s slightly less than 50/50 that you make a two pointer. Because of that going for it means you have less than a 50/50 chance of sealing with a better than 50/50 chance of having a TD tie it.

Better to make the other team make the less probable play.

Comment

Thoughts?
        Always make them go for two. Two point conversions are notoriously difficult for some teams to convert, especially spread offenses that lack beef up front.

Comment

Here's my pet peeve.

Unless you absolutely, positively NEED the points, I think you should always go for it on 4th down inside the five yard line. Assuming your defense isn't complete garbage, they're not scoring on a drive that starts that deep inside their territory if you don't get it. You also open up the possibility for a safety and a good 80% of the time, you'll get the ball back on your side of the 50 in a few minutes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
            Here's my pet peeve.

Unless you absolutely, positively NEED the points, I think you should always go for it on 4th down inside the five yard line. Assuming your defense isn't complete garbage, they're not scoring on a drive that starts that deep inside their territory if you don't get it. You also open up the possibility for a safety and a good 80% of the time, you'll get the ball back on your side of the 50 in a few minutes anyway.
            I don't like inside the 5. 4th and 5 is pretty tough, and an under center QB won't be taking the snap in their own end zone if you don't get it, which opens up the playbook.

Inside teh 2 or 1, especially with the QB sneak being effective more often than not, I'm with you.

I'm also vastly for going for it on 4th and 1 or less if a first down wins you the game. The Rams did that to the Seahawks and it was beautiful.

Comment

I don't like inside the 5. 4th and 5 is pretty tough, and an under center QB won't be taking the snap in their own end zone if you don't get it, which opens up the playbook.

Inside teh 2 or 1, especially with the QB sneak being effective more often than not, I'm with you.

I'm also vastly for going for it on 4th and 1 or less if a first down wins you the game. The Rams did that to the Seahawks and it was beautiful.
              It's less of a risk than you think, because worst case scenario, you still have a massive field position advantage. A field goal inside the 5 is a straight up pussy move in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

It's less of a risk than you think, because worst case scenario, you still have a massive field position advantage. A field goal inside the 5 is a straight up pussy move in my opinion.
                I would say it depends on how the flow of the game is going. If points are hard to come by, or it is really early in the game, okay FG. If it's Biiiiiiig Tweeeelve footbaaawl, then yeah pussy move.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

I would say it depends on how the flow of the game is going. If points are hard to come by, or it is really early in the game, okay FG. If it's Biiiiiiig Tweeeelve footbaaawl, then yeah pussy move.
                  Well, obviously everythings situational.

Comment

I wouldn't keep a college kicker on my roster if I was a coach (at least for XP's or FG's)
                    I'd go for 2 every freaking time.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post
                      I wouldn't keep a college kicker on my roster if I was a coach (at least for XP's or FG's)
                      I'd go for 2 every freaking time.
                      So you'd also go for it on 4th and 20 on the opponents 25 yard line?

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

Pshh. All you have to do is go hard count and get them to jump offsides. Four times.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

kicker=/=punter

Punter's are extremely valuable.

Soccer has ruined the college kicking game as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post

kicker=/=punter

Punter's are extremely valuable.

Soccer has ruined the college kicking game as we know it.
                            You'd punt from the opponents 25 yard line?

I don't even think Ferentz does that.

Comment

I misread that...I was thinking "own" 25 yard line.

Yes, I'd go for it on 4th and 20 from the opponents 25 yard line. That's a 40+ yard FG, and kickers aren't reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X