Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major changes to Redshirt rule in College Football

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-opportunities

I like it. Teams that aren't going to make the playoffs can start working freshman in late in the season and it should give players the opportunity to compete for position on the field early in the season.

Comment

Like the concept, not a big fan of the execution.

I think there should be a play limiter for redshirts. Like maybe max 15 plays in four games each, or 60 plays throughout the entire season. With a generious medical exemption policy.

Comment

Another rule that didn't need to be changed, but that department of the NCAA had to show that they were doing something in the off season.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
          Another rule that didn't need to be changed, but that department of the NCAA had to show that they were doing something in the off season.
          Anything to avoid having to actually pay players.

Comment

One thing that's nuts about this is it doesn't seem it's limited to freshman...you could have a senior blow his ACL out in game 3 and then come back and play another season.

Comment

I wish they would have cut it off after week 8.

I picture a situation where either a team that has already locked up a spot in the CCG (but is not a playoff contender) plays all their freshman the last two weeks of the year to basically rest their starters amd those feshman get to keep their redshirt.

Or similarly, a team like Alabama last year could have played all their freshman against Auburn, rested their starters, and they are in the playoff win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

I picture a situation where either a team that has already locked up a spot in the CCG (but is not a playoff contender) plays all their freshman the last two weeks of the year to basically rest their starters amd those feshman get to keep their redshirt.

Or similarly, a team like Alabama last year could have played all their freshman against Auburn, rested their starters, and they are in the playoff win or lose.
                As well as hurts a team that needs Auburn to lose for some reason......(or a scenario like that).

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

As well as hurts a team that needs Auburn to lose for some reason......(or a scenario like that).
                  I would have preferred free eligibility in September and all post season games (except CCGs)

Comment

I think it needs to be tweaked further, but I like the idea.

Comment

When has a college football team EVER just played the backups not caring if they won the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post

When has a college football team EVER just played the backups not caring if they won the game?
                        I dont recall of any example where it has happened under the current format. But when the playoff ultimately expands to 8, you will definitely start to see it happen.

I'm looking ahead as well.

Comment

If Auburn had beaten UGA and got in the playoff we probably wouldn't have made it. Either way that would have been a huge gamble although the outcome of the game couldn't have been worse had Saban sat out the starters. It might have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by riker7 View Post

If Auburn had beaten UGA and got in the playoff we probably wouldn't have made it. Either way that would have been a huge gamble although the outcome of the game couldn't have been worse had Saban sat out the starters. It might have been better.
                            I think if Auburn wins the rematch, Bama and Auburn are in and UGA is out.

Comment

Still LMAO @ UGA for blowing that Title game.

Comment

Working...
                              X