Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gator View Post
    Or we can just have 4 teams, and being undefeated gets you an auto bid, and not winning your conference automatically eliminates you from consideration.

There is literally zero case for a team who didn’t win their conference to be included.

If you weren’t #1 conference, you can’t possibly be #1 in the country. Logic, get some.
    This logic works great if the bowl games don't count. But we have a post season, and we are looking for the 4 best teams. #2 in the conference might be #2 in the nation.

I've said it 298374932874 times, auto bids are stupid. Winning your conference should entitle you to no more than a banner in your stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post

OK, good, now you've got the 6-6 part.

Let's look at the replacement opponents in those sec games:

While the B1G and Pac were playing conference opponents: Mercer(W), Louisiana-Monroe(W), Wofford(W), UAB(W), Louisiana(W), New Mexico(W), UMass(W), Western Kentucky(W), coastal carolina(W), SMU(W),Idaho(W), Troy(L), (11-1).

So read what Shaw said again.
      I kind of find this a logical fallacy, that the additional nonconference game automatically means the lesser quality opponent. Its not like the Pac-12 and Big Ten don't play FCS or Sun Belt teams either. More than likely Alabama's "Fourth" OOC opponent was either Colorado State or Fresno, not Mercer.

It should be a nine game conference schedule because its absolutely idiotic that you can have an entire graduating class come and go without playing some teams in your conference.

Comment

Christ almighty with two threads on this.

Fuck outta here with that Soccer-ish pyramid style.

Comment

Hope this doesn't happen in my lifetime..though it realistically probably does...then we'll have a stupid regular season than means nothing and the hottest team at the end of the year with the fewest injuries will win.
          No at large bids. Only take the top 8 conference champions. Show me how that cheapens the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post

This logic works great if the bowl games don't count. But we have a post season, and we are looking for the 4 best teams. #2 in the conference might be #2 in the nation.

I've said it 298374932874 times, auto bids are stupid. Winning your conference should entitle you to no more than a banner in your stadium.

The entire weak case for including non-conference winner is based on the “they might be the 2nd best team” argument.

But what you’re really doing, is including a team that we already saw on the field, wasn’t the best team in the country.

Alabama for example, is the third best team in the SEC.

That is not an opinion. That is a fact. They finished third.

I need you to explain to me why a team who finished third in their conference deserves the chance to play for the right to call themselves #1 in the nation.

Didn’t we just prove they aren’t the best in the country over the course of a 12 game season by way of their 3rd place SEC finish?

Basically, you want wildcard teams. Wildcard teams are the most ridiculous, illogical thing in all of sports.

Comment

Six teams, all 5 conference champs, one at large, top two seeds get first week byes....

First round is played at higher seeds home.

Comment

..and for the record, while I think a 9 game schedule is better, I think the PAC and B1G are stupid as hell for playing 9 when other conferences play 8.
                It does guarantee 6 teams (PAC) or 7 teams (B1G) an extra guaranteed loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post

The entire weak case for including non-conference winner is based on the “they might be the 2nd best team” argument.

But what you’re really doing, is including a team that we already saw on the field, wasn’t the best team in the country.

Alabama for example, is the third best team in the SEC.

That is not an opinion. That is a fact. They finished third.

I need you to explain to me why a team who finished third in their conference deserves the chance to play for the right to call themselves #1 in the nation.

Didn’t we just prove they aren’t the best in the country over the course of a 12 game season by way of their 3rd place SEC finish?

Basically, you want wildcard teams. Wildcard teams are the most ridiculous, illogical thing in all of sports.
                  Because we have a system where more than 2 teams get a shot.
                  On top of that...we've seen teams turn around a beat teams they just lost to 3-4 weeks prior.

I don't want wildcard games. I just want the rest of the nation to see conference championship(s) or conference championship games for what they are worth: Not a damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
                    Six teams, all 5 conference champs, one at large, top two seeds get first week byes....

First round is played at higher seeds home.
                    This is what I've pushed for from the beginning. Reward the regular season. Still expands the playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy

So happy medium
                      1. Every conference (power 5) goes back to 8 game schedule
                      2. 2 Non conference OOC games must be against power 5 opponents

Then you still have plenty of FBS non power 5 OOC games to schedule.

I also think you throw out an FCS game for counting towards bowl eligibility.
                      Smaller schools would lose a lot of revenue though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, good, now you've got the 6-6 part.

Let's look at the replacement opponents in those sec games:

While the B1G and Pac were playing conference opponents: Mercer(W), Louisiana-Monroe(W), Wofford(W), UAB(W), Louisiana(W), New Mexico(W), UMass(W), Western Kentucky(W), coastal carolina(W), SMU(W),Idaho(W), Troy(L), (11-1).

So read what Shaw said again.
                        Now we are getting somewhere. Admitting you are wrong is the first step.

Now, let's get you to the next stop of stopping cherry picking OOC games and assuming all OOC games are lesser than all in conference games and we'll make real progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollaski View Post
                          I kind of find this a logical fallacy, that the additional nonconference game automatically means the lesser quality opponent. Its not like the Pac-12 and Big Ten don't play FCS or Sun Belt teams either. More than likely Alabama's "Fourth" OOC opponent was either Colorado State or Fresno, not Mercer.

It should be a nine game conference schedule because its absolutely idiotic that you can have an entire graduating class come and go without playing some teams in your conference.
                          He's just cherry picking to make an argument and not doing a very good job of it.

Comment

The only solution is to divide up the non power 5 into another division. They will never allow them in anyways so have them play their 2 team championship in the month of December. People will watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post

Because we have a system where more than 2 teams get a shot.
                              On top of that...we've seen teams turn around a beat teams they just lost to 3-4 weeks prior.

I don't want wildcard games. I just want the rest of the nation to see conference championship(s) or conference championship games for what they are worth: Not a damn thing.

Just because 4 teams get a shot, doesn’t mean we have to include the 3rd best SEC team. Even with 8, that’s absurd.

Comment

You get 12 weeks to prove you’re the best team in your conference. Can’t do that? Bye. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X