Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Team Playoff: How it should work

We've argued and debated for years, but this is how it should be when it happens (my fantasy land of no auto bids will never happen)

1. 8 Teams (duh)
    2. The Power 5 conference champions receive an automatic bid
    --There is a minimum win requirement to be in the playoffs for the power 5, and it is 9 wins.
    --If the winner of the conference championship does not meet the 9 win minimum, then it goes to the highest ranked team in the conference with 9 or more wins. If no team qualifies, their bid becomes an at large
    3. 3 At Large Bids
    --2 Highest Ranked teams, regardless of conference
    --Highest Ranked Group of 5 team, with a minimum of 510 wins, and must have won their conference
    --If a group of 5 team does not qualify, then it goes to the 3rd highest ranked team otherwise
    4. All group of 5 teams move to a 9 game conference schedule (bleh)
    5. All group of 5 teams must play at LEAST 2 schools who are group of 5 members
    6. The 3rd OOC game can be against anyone, but if they choose to play an FCS school, it does not count towards their win totals for the playoffs, or bowl game.
    7. Any team that makes the playoff who is not a conference champ automatically gets the 8 seed. In the event of multiple teams qualifying in this manner, then the lowest ranked gets the 8th, next the 7th, etc. They would also take a lower seed to a qualifying non group of 5 conference champ who meets the 10 win requirement and qualifies.

8 Teams
    5 - Power 5 champs - must be ranked in Top 15
    1 - Group of 5 Champ - top ranked must be in Top 12
    2 - At-Larges - top ranked teams
    If no Go5, add a 3rd at-large
    Notre Dame can join the ACC or hope for an at-large
    Max of two teams per conference

Schedule rules are dumb. Ranking rules are dumb.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post
      8 Teams
      5 - Power 5 champs - must be ranked in Top 15
      1 - Group of 5 Champ - top ranked must be in Top 12
      2 - At-Larges - top ranked teams
      If no Go5, add a 3rd at-large
      Notre Dame can join the ACC or hope for an at-large
      Max of two teams per conference

Schedule rules are dumb. Ranking rules are dumb.

Carry on.
      I'm fine with a "final ranking" over "minimum wins"
      Making the group of 5 into the top 12...eh. I thought that was low for the BCS, as they never get any love. I'd say make it top 15 all around.
      There should be no conference limits. It was stupid in the BCS, and it is stupid now.
      I think schedule rules are more important now than ever. I also don't think a team should EVER get credit towards a bowl by beating an FCS school.
      Agree 100% with ND. There should be no special rules for them or any independent. They have to hope for an at large.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post
        I'm fine with a "final ranking" over "minimum wins"
        Making the group of 5 into the top 12...eh. I thought that was low for the BCS, as they never get any love. I'd say make it top 15 all around.
        There should be no conference limits. It was stupid in the BCS, and it is stupid now.
        I think schedule rules are more important now than ever. I also don't think a team should EVER get credit towards a bowl by beating an FCS school.
        Agree 100% with ND. There should be no special rules for them or any independent. They have to hope for an at large.
        Schedule issues are taking care of by going by rankings rather than wins.

Conference schedules aren't affected b/c we're putting in conference winners. OOC only helps to boost your resume. Win big games = get the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Speaking of, I spent down time over the weekend working on my 6 - 10 team conference relegation layout to balance regionally with winning percentages and wins over past 10 years.

This is the real solution. Each conference plays 9 game round robin tournament plus three OOC games with two guaranteed rivalry match ups. 6 conference winners plus two at-large teams are seeded by committee for 8 team playoff. Relegation at the bottom of the conference. Can be filled all the way down to NAIA levels.

Comment

Considering Group of Five teams only play 12-13 games,that 510 win threshold's gonna be really hard.

Comment

Hope this doesn't happen in my lifetime..though it realistically probably does...then we'll have a stupid regular season than means nothing and the hottest team at the end of the year with the fewest injuries will win.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post
                Hope this doesn't happen in my lifetime..though it realistically probably does...then we'll have a stupid regular season than means nothing and the hottest team at the end of the year with the fewest injuries will win.
                So, we'll have CBB.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

So, we'll have CBB.
                  No. Although it's a bit amusing considering Boucher's injury cost Oregon the hoops title last year...CBB has a lot fewer injuries and you can run a 64 team tournament in 3 weeks with relatively little attrition.

Also, College basketball has a much more robust conference schedule to weed out and flesh out the best teams for said playoff.

By far my biggest beef with the current system is 8 vs 9 conference games.
                  Last edited by General_Grantlocks; 12-04-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

No. Although it's a bit amusing considering Boucher's injury cost Oregon the hoops title last year...CBB has a lot fewer injuries and you can run a 64 team tournament in 3 weeks with relatively little attrition.

Also, College basketball has a much more robust conference schedule to weed out and flesh out the best teams for said playoff.

I was being mostly facetious, especially with the "hot team" bit.

My biggest beef with CFB is the lack of uniformity across the leagues.

Comment

I don't get the complaint on this. An additional conference game does not automatically mean a tougher schedule.

I mean it sucks b/c Clemson & FSU are only in Blacksburg like once every 10 years or something but that's a completely different angle of argument.

Comment

I don't get the complaint on this. An additional conference game does not automatically mean a tougher schedule.

I mean it sucks b/c Clemson & FSU are only in Blacksburg like once every 10 years or something but that's a completely different angle of argument.
                        Automatically? No.

However, it inflates your conferences overall records and rankings, considerably. Simple math that your conference is going to have 6 extra losses across the board(assuming 12 team conference).

Not to mention..imagine tOSU didn't play @ Iowa or USC didn't have to go to Wazzu where the hills have eyes?

Comment

Im sorry the NFL takes its division champs regardless of their record so we do get 9-7 teams making the P/Os.

All Power-5 conference champs get an auto bid. Even if you're not ranked in the top-25 (ofcourse the chances are slim that a sub-division champ is not ranked)

Comment

Going on that other angle, to take it away from the context of the playoff door a moment...

Under the SEC's current format, a 4 year player will play in 10 of the 16 league stadiums, includong their own.

Before aTm and misery came in, a 4 year player would play in 11 out of 12.

Not relevant from the context of a playoff, but it presents that angle.
                            ​​​​
                            ​​​​​

Comment

Automatically? No.

However, it inflates your conferences overall records and rankings, considerably. Simple math that your conference is going to have 6 extra losses across the board(assuming 12 team conference).

Not to mention..imagine tOSU didn't play @ Iowa or USC didn't have to go to Wazzu where the hills have eyes?
                              I already proved Triplethreat that this take was wrong last week. The ACC for example had a much stronger conference OOC SOS and overall SOS than the B1G did this year.

Your logic assumes all conference teams win all OOC games and conference games are always tougher than all OOC games. Neither of which are ever true. A schedule stands on its own no matter how many conference games you play.

Your logic is akin to saying a P5 OOC game is more significant than a Go5 OOC game. Which is patently false.

Imagine if Wisky had played Penn State and UCF instead of Maryland and Indiana

Originally posted by ibleed View Post
                              Going on that other angle, to take it away from the context of the playoff door a moment...

Under the SEC's current format, a 4 year player will play in 10 of the 16 league stadiums, includong their own.

Before aTm and misery came in, a 4 year player would play in 11 out of 12.

Not relevant from the context of a playoff, but it presents that angle.
                              ​​​
                              This is the angle that bothers me.

A strong schedule is a strong schedule if you play 9 conference games or are an Independent.

Comment

Working...
                              X