Assistants to keep an eye on

OC Colorado State Will Friend
      OC Auburn Chip Lindsay
      LB Georgia Will Sherrer
      TE FSU Tim Brewster
      DL FSU Tracy Rocker
      OC ASU Billy Napier
      UAB Brian Williams
      Tracy Rocker seems to move around a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamster

Tracy Rocker seems to move around a lot.
        Yeah but only in like a 300 mile radius. Lol

Comment

• Will Friend has started following UT and OL recruits so I'd assume he's signed up.

Comment

• I think Pruitt has potential but honestly what an underwhelming hire.

Other than Georgia (where you know Kirby was their #1 target plus he was coming home) and USC (bad hire) what other power program has hired a guy with zero head coaching experience recently? This could be a complete disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky_Johnson
              I think Pruitt has potential but honestly what an underwhelming hire.

Other than Georgia (where you know Kirby was their #1 target plus he was coming home) and USC (bad hire) what other power program has hired a guy with zero head coaching experience recently? This could be a complete disaster.
              Oklahoma - Georgia off the top of my head

Dabo at Clemson, USC with Helton.

Auburn - Malzahn

Stanford - David Shaw
              Last edited by Hamp; 12-07-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky_Johnson View Post

Sabans coaching tree has done OK. Jimbo won a natty. Muschamp couldn't handle Florida but turned Carolina around. Kirby is doing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheaterMichael

Sabans coaching tree has done OK. Jimbo won a natty. Muschamp couldn't handle Florida but turned Carolina around. Kirby is doing well.
                  Dooley was awesome!

The one thing about Pruitt is that he's balls to the wall with recruiting and a players coach. I like his upside but obviously he's a risk. I don't know any coach we could have hired that wasn't and that includes Dan Mullen.

Sabans defensive coaches seem to fair better than the offensive ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamp View Post
                    Dooley was awesome!

The one thing about Pruitt is that he's balls to the wall with recruiting and a players coach. I like his upside but obviously he's a risk. I don't know any coach we could have hired that wasn't and that includes Dan Mullen.

Sabans defensive coaches seem to fair better than the offensive ones.
                    I like it all things considered. Leach would have been interesting but I can't imagine what kind of staff he could get in the South's.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheaterMichael

I like it all things considered. Leach would have been interesting but I can't imagine what kind of staff he could get in the South's.
                      Yeah I would have loved to have seen Leach in the south. Would have been entertaining for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky_Johnson View Post

If Pruitt was the hire instead of Schiano, fans would have bitched and moaned, but not outright revolted. So in the context of firing Butch Jones and wanting an "upgrade" over Jones, yes it's an underwhelming hire.

Fan expectations were pretty clear:
                        -We have big money, so use it to lure a big name. Don't go the budget route and get a mid-tier coach.
                        -Find someone that can COACH. Not just a motivational speaker or program builder. A coach, and a player developer.
                        -Prefer someone with SEC ties or at least in the South.
                        -Prefer someone with a very different personality than Butch Jones, who is basically a shitty life coach.

Greg Schiano did not fit the bill. The fans felt like John Currie, who was very secretive in the "coaching search," betrayed them. They felt like Jimmy Haslam was pulling the strings and making awful decisions (see: Cleveland Browns), and that Currie was just a puppet.

The outrage certainly hurt UT's chances at landing a coach that fit the above criteria...but Currie did even more damage with his overly desperate, awkward, and seemingly directionless coaching search after that.

Despite more or less "failing" at the original goal of hiring a top tier, sitting coach, I think the majority of UT fans are happier with the current situation than the potential situation from a week and a half ago.

11/26/17
                        HC Greg Schiano
                        AD John Currie
                        Haslam's pulling the strings

12/7/17
                        HC Jeremy Pruitt
                        AD Phil Fulmer
                        Haslam's power greatly reduced

In the grand scheme of things, it's a better situation, because we feel like we took the university back. We felt like too many non-UT people were in leadership positions. Fulmer being in a leadership position is a good thing for the university IMO, because you don't question his motives or dedication.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash

If Pruitt was the hire instead of Schiano, fans would have bitched and moaned, but not outright revolted. So in the context of firing Butch Jones and wanting an "upgrade" over Jones, yes it's an underwhelming hire.

Fan expectations were pretty clear:
                          -We have big money, so use it to lure a big name. Don't go the budget route and get a mid-tier coach.
                          -Find someone that can COACH. Not just a motivational speaker or program builder. A coach, and a player developer.
                          -Prefer someone with SEC ties or at least in the South.
                          -Prefer someone with a very different personality than Butch Jones, who is basically a shitty life coach.

Greg Schiano did not fit the bill. The fans felt like John Currie, who was very secretive in the "coaching search," betrayed them. They felt like Jimmy Haslam was pulling the strings and making awful decisions (see: Cleveland Browns), and that Currie was just a puppet.

The outrage certainly hurt UT's chances at landing a coach that fit the above criteria...but Currie did even more damage with his overly desperate, awkward, and seemingly directionless coaching search after that.

Despite more or less "failing" at the original goal of hiring a top tier, sitting coach, I think the majority of UT fans are happier with the current situation than the potential situation from a week and a half ago.

11/26/17
                          HC Greg Schiano
                          AD John Currie
                          Haslam's pulling the strings

12/7/17
                          HC Jeremy Pruitt
                          AD Phil Fulmer
                          Haslam's power greatly reduced

In the grand scheme of things, it's a better situation, because we feel like we took the university back. We felt like too many non-UT people were in leadership positions. Fulmer being in a leadership position is a good thing for the university IMO, because you don't question his motives or dedication.
                          Well stated

Comment

• Also, I should add, I've heard pretty much non-stop criticism from the national media chastising UT fans for their outrage (I will agree that they went too far with Schiano), and I feel like they just don't get it. The fans weren't upset with Schiano the person (the Penn State thing was mainly a convenient excuse). They were upset that the university (AD, Chancellor, Haslams) were tone deaf and just telling us what we need. Since Mike Hamilton took over the AD job, there has been a growing rift between fans and the athletic department. Too much about money. Too corporate. Not enough about the VOLS. They were using a brand to enrich themselves, and the fans felt like they weren't good stewards of that brand, which is more like a family for some of us.

This was much bigger than just being pissed off over hiring some asshole Yankee to coach our football team. National guys either don't see the big picture, or they feign outrage to keep in the good graces of Jimmy Sexton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash
                              Also, I should add, I've heard pretty much non-stop criticism from the national media chastising UT fans for their outrage (I will agree that they went too far with Schiano), and I feel like they just don't get it. The fans weren't upset with Schiano the person (the Penn State thing was mainly a convenient excuse). They were upset that the university (AD, Chancellor, Haslams) were tone deaf and just telling us what we need. Since Mike Hamilton took over the AD job, there has been a growing rift between fans and the athletic department. Too much about money. Too corporate. Not enough about the VOLS. They were using a brand to enrich themselves, and the fans felt like they weren't good stewards of that brand, which is more like a family for some of us.

This was much bigger than just being pissed off over hiring some asshole Yankee to coach our football team. National guys either don't see the big picture, or they feign outrage to keep in the good graces of Jimmy Sexton.
                              And those same national guys posted shit about Schiano and the sex scandal. Pretty funny watching UT fans bring up their old tweets.

Comment

• I'll fill in staff as I get the probable hirings

HC - Jeremy Pruitt via Alabama
                                OC - Tyson Helton - USC
                                QB - Tyson Helton - USC
                                OL - Will Friend - Colorado State
                                RB - Gillespie - Holdover
                                WR
                                TE

DC - Kevin Sherrer - Georgia
                                DL - Tracy Rocker - Florida State
                                DL? - Chris Rumph - Florida
                                LB
                                DB - Terry Fair - Colorado State
                                Last edited by Hamp; 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X