Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision Blizzard

Stock has dropped from averages in the low 80s to the mid 40s in the span of a few months. Reports of layoffs coming from numerous locations. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 selling well but below expectations. Battle for Azeroth selling well initially but losing subscribers like wildfire. Is there anything that can save this company at this point, or are they just going to keep spiraling?
    Last edited by tOSUfanboi2; 12-28-2018, 11:24 AM.

It's not just them. The AAA developers are taking a beating across the board.

The bubble is bursting on their constant attempts to mometize every fucking aspect of their games.

Their titles are getting stagnant. We're seeing Assassins Creed, CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, and Madden over and over and over again.

Their titles keep coming out at launch and they arent fucking finished... or (in BFV's case) intentionally cut out finished content just to plug it in later under the guise of new contemt post-launch.

They fuck over people who buy at launch or pre-order by slashong the proce two weeks agter launch because the game didmt meet sales expectations.

This isnt an Activision Blizzard problem.... it's AAA across the board... and they all did it to themselves.
    Last edited by ibleed; 12-30-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post
      It's not just them. The AAA developers are taking a beating across the board.

The bubble is bursting on their constant attempts to mometize every fucking aspect of their games.

Their titles are getting stagnant. We're seeing Assassins Creed, CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, and Madden over and over and over again.

Their titles keep coming out at launch and they arent fucking finished... or (in BFV's case) intentionally cut out finished content just to plug it in later under the guise of new contemt post-launch.

They fuck over people who buy at launch or pre-order by slashong the proce two weeks agter launch because the game didmt meet sales expectations.

This isnt an Activision Blizzard problem.... it's AAA across the board... and they all did it to themselves.
      I would agree with you, but we don't see these same patterns from all developers. Japanese developers are FAR less aggressive with monetization on average, instead going the merchandising/collectors edition route. EA and Activision are currently drowning in their own greed, and unless substantial changes are made at the top, I can't see it getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

I would agree with you, but we don't see these same patterns from all developers. Japanese developers are FAR less aggressive with monetization on average, instead going the merchandising/collectors edition route. EA and Activision are currently drowning in their own greed, and unless substantial changes are made at the top, I can't see it getting better.
        I contained my point to the Americans. EA, Activision, T2, and Bethesda. You could even throw Ubisoft into that boat too.

The Japanese guys took their bath already several years ago. But they adapted and seemed to have stabilized themselves via merch and capitalization of the retro games niche.

Comment

EA getting ass blasted. BFV was a disaster in sales, FIFA got their card packs banned in Belgium, and Anthem is getting mixed news coming out.....

And I fucking love it. EA can burn in hell.

Comment

EA getting ass blasted. BFV was a disaster in sales, FIFA got their card packs banned in Belgium, and Anthem is getting mixed news coming out.....

And I fucking love it. EA can burn in hell.
            I'm actively boycotting EA and Activision Blizzard at this point. I don't care what they release or how good said release may look, they've lost all credibility with me.

Comment

I'm actively boycotting EA and Activision Blizzard at this point. I don't care what they release or how good said release may look, they've lost all credibility with me.
              I caved and bought BFV.... I really thought EA learned their lesson.

They did....at least for a few minutes.... but they squandered it by fucking up something else......before deciding they wanted to focus on unlearning their lesson instead of improving the product.

I stopped playing BFV about 3 weeks ago. When the January patch fixed a few things but not the major things, and I learned that they were focusimg on getting the MTX store up... I gave up.

Comment

Activision Blizzard on Tuesday reported record profits and record revenues.... and fired 800 employees the same damn day.

Eat a dick

Comment

Activision Blizzard on Tuesday reported record profits and record revenues.... and fired 800 employees the same damn day.

Eat a dick
                  Jim Sterling's videos on this have been great. It's insane how these companies consistently claim to perform below expectations despite making more money every year and use it as justification to fire people.

Comment

Jim Sterling's videos on this have been great. It's insane how these companies consistently claim to perform below expectations despite making more money every year and use it as justification to fire people.

Often it catches up with them eventually. They're thinking way too short term, especially with the industry evolving to a micro transaction (for cosmetic) revenue model. It's a shame Blizzard is associated with Activision. Blizzard still makes good games...just not enough of them. Overwatch was a homerun.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

Often it catches up with them eventually. They're thinking way too short term, especially with the industry evolving to a micro transaction (for cosmetic) revenue model. It's a shame Blizzard is associated with Activision. Blizzard still makes good games...just not enough of them. Overwatch was a homerun.
                      I see what you're saying, but I think the evolution is more complex than that and the industry will be very diverse in years to come. Look at what's happened to TV and movies in recent years as an example. You have major theater releases which later go to blu ray, you have subscription services that produce content like Netflix, and you have made for TV/mini series shows on cable and network TV. All of those models have been proven to exist and be profitable within essentially the same space, because people like the variety that comes with it.

If I had to guess where games are going to go in the future, I think it'll be broken down into these categories:

1.) Subscription based models supported by console makers and PC gaming services like Steam that are primarily used to sell hardware. Xbox is already trying something like this with the XB1 and the public response has been very good. They won't have every game, but they'll be able to deliver first parties they own outright and use it as a vehicle to get people to come on board. The other advantage of this is the ability to farm out the actual nuts and bolts of the system, so instead of mass producing a physical product, you can let people stream the games at insane settings remotely. The only thing stopping this from becoming a complete reality right now is internet speeds, but that bottleneck won't exist forever. For more info on this, look into companies like Shadow.

2.) Free to play microtransaction based games in the mold of Fortnite and League and Legends. These games are already making a killing and the chances of them slowing down any time soon are next to non-existent. Kids LOVE being able to play games with any and all of their friends, regardless of income level or hardware.

3.) Premium products made by top notch studios that will release on every platform and for every system known to man. This is where your Elder Scrolls type games come in. People would gladly pay $100 a copy for an absurdly high end game with countless hours of gameplay, especially if it's completely detached from the trappings of the rest of the industry as it moves forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X