Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Far Cry 5

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Far Cry 5

    What a wasted opportunity. I can't even finish this game. The story line is just so brutally bad.

    Which sucks, because I kind of like everything else about it. But holy shit that story line is bad.

  • #2
    Well glad to hear it from you, and I'll remove it from my purchase list......

    What is the story line? You go to redneck land, they come after you and you have to slay jo bob cooter, and cletus?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
      Well glad to hear it from you, and I'll remove it from my purchase list......

      What is the story line? You go to redneck land, they come after you and you have to slay jo bob cooter, and cletus?
      Eh, the story is that a bunch of crazy Christian cultists take over a county in Montana using propaganda and this drug called "bliss". They are led by 3 brothers and an adopted sister. You have to kill 2 brothers and a sister to get to the "father", the 3rd brother.

      Ignoring the obvious plot holes of this county somehow being secluded from the rest of the country despite having cell phones and airplanes, it commits a video game sin that I absolutely hate: being captured against your will. No matter how good you are, you will be captured. Multiple times. Over and over. And seemingly at the will of the Cult. In the middle of a side mission? Nope. Captured. Messing around in the open world? Captured. And the capture sequences aren't exactly short things either. They can take 20-30 minutes of game play when all you wanted to do was fish for some bass as a quick side trip.

      I looked up the ending and it's so stupid that I don't even want to finish the game.

      The pro's are that the open world is pretty cool, graphics are great and the gun for hire system is actually useful. In other games, cough Fallout cough, your companion can't do much other than expose your position. In this one, a sniper companion can take out an entire outpost for you.

      The cons are obviously the story line being so retarded it hampers even open world game play and I think the guns available are limited and mediocre. The flamethrower is the most worthless weapon in any game I've played.

      Comment


      • #4
        Also, the storyline cut-scenes are soooo cringey, especially Faith's. I've played a lot of games that are a bit "out there" but some of these are so awkward that I had to skip or mute the tv.

        If they simply cut the story out of it entirely and just let you roam around Montana this game would be substantially better.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the info, I watched all of those cut scenes..... Ugh.

          They are corny like Assasin's Creed, but not nearly as well done.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
            Thanks for the info, I watched all of those cut scenes..... Ugh.

            They are corny like Assasin's Creed, but not nearly as well done.
            Yeah, it's too bad because I think there could have been a great opportunity here if they trimmed up the storyline and made the cutscenes and ending suck less.

            Also, chain takedowns seem infinitely harder to do than in games past. I used to be able to group 4-5 guys together for 1 chain takedown in FC3 but it's nearly impossible in this one. At best you get a double and even those are rare.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, this was a wasted opportunity. I enjoyed it for the first 15 hours or so, but then I realized that I wasn't invested in the story and I'd already done all of the cool stuff I wanted to do. The fishing mini game needed a serious tune up, too.

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't think of a scenario of when I could be surrounded by a bunch of armed Christian nut jobs with guns and want to go fishing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
                  I can't think of a scenario of when I could be surrounded by a bunch of armed Christian nut jobs with guns and want to go fishing.
                  You don't love fishing like I do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
                    Yeah, this was a wasted opportunity. I enjoyed it for the first 15 hours or so, but then I realized that I wasn't invested in the story and I'd already done all of the cool stuff I wanted to do. The fishing mini game needed a serious tune up, too.
                    I started with John Seed's area and then finished Faith's area. I got up to Jacob's and I just quit after the first interaction with him. It was incredibly cookie-cutter. Take over some outposts, blow up some supply vans, get captured, talk to the herald who won't just kill you despite killing countless others, be released/saved and then blow up some more vans, take over more outposts, captured again, etc.

                    And I know it's a video game, but I just couldn't ever get past the ridiculousness of this cult's power despite being within the borders of the United States. Or that they'd send a single marshal to apprehend the leader of a cult that has apparently thousands of followers and has amassed thousands of guns, attack helicopters, planes and produces copious amounts of a powerful hallucinogenic drug.

                    I can believe a remote island in FC3 would have this. Or a rogue mountain nation in SE Asia in FC4. But Montana? Come on.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DPR View Post

                      I started with John Seed's area and then finished Faith's area. I got up to Jacob's and I just quit after the first interaction with him. It was incredibly cookie-cutter. Take over some outposts, blow up some supply vans, get captured, talk to the herald who won't just kill you despite killing countless others, be released/saved and then blow up some more vans, take over more outposts, captured again, etc.

                      And I know it's a video game, but I just couldn't ever get past the ridiculousness of this cult's power despite being within the borders of the United States. Or that they'd send a single marshal to apprehend the leader of a cult that has apparently thousands of followers and has amassed thousands of guns, attack helicopters, planes and produces copious amounts of a powerful hallucinogenic drug.

                      I can believe a remote island in FC3 would have this. Or a rogue mountain nation in SE Asia in FC4. But Montana? Come on.
                      I feel you, I think they could have made it work had they put a little more effort into it. Something like this is a lot more feasible if they were using some kind of jammer to prevent outside contact and there were no aircraft, but they didn't seem to want to sacrifice those elements to make sense.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Storywise, pretty nonsensical. That said, if you played this game after watching that netflix series "Wild, Wild Country" (like I did) it made it a little easier to just go with the flow on some of it.

                        The sandbox feel and open world was pretty cool to play through. Visually it was a really pretty game...but yea, if you are playing it for a concrete story that isnt completely nuts, its not going to work for you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JTrain View Post
                          Storywise, pretty nonsensical. That said, if you played this game after watching that netflix series "Wild, Wild Country" (like I did) it made it a little easier to just go with the flow on some of it.

                          The sandbox feel and open world was pretty cool to play through. Visually it was a really pretty game...but yea, if you are playing it for a concrete story that isnt completely nuts, its not going to work for you.
                          The open world wasn't that fun either since you have to try and avoid earning RP otherwise you'll get scooped up for the story line. And even if you avoid outposts and shit you still randomly encounter VIPs who earn you RP. I guess if you go back to an area after liberation it's less tedious.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DPR View Post

                            The open world wasn't that fun either since you have to try and avoid earning RP otherwise you'll get scooped up for the story line. And even if you avoid outposts and shit you still randomly encounter VIPs who earn you RP. I guess if you go back to an area after liberation it's less tedious.
                            Yeah, forced story progression belongs in the video game graveyard along with forced stealth sections and weapon durability. Some shit just isn't fun, and if you're selling me an open world game, you shouldn't break my flow every hour or two with shit I don't want to do.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I played this for 5 hours and gave up..I just can't get into the story, and I need a good story anymore to play single player games.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X