Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNYDER CUT

ALMOST THERE!

worldofx you can keep your trap shut on your closet love for Zack Snyder.

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post
    ALMOST THERE!

worldofx you can keep your trap shut on your closet love for Zack Snyder.

I will give it a shot next week.

Comment

Originally posted by worldofx View Post

I will give it a shot next week.
      4 hour comic movie...someone make sure to check in on Waldo next week to make sure he survived...

Comment

I'm not remotely excited about this, but I'll still watch it once I get my HBOMax set up after I move next week...I doubt it'll move the meter for me at all...Some of the worst comic characters in history, and now I have to watch bad CGI, weak storylines, and shitty characters for four hours?!?

Fuck...This must be how bellefay feels about all movies

Comment

Will Superman's CGI upper lip make the cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post
            I'm not remotely excited about this, but I'll still watch it once I get my HBOMax set up after I move next week...I doubt it'll move the meter for me at all...Some of the worst comic characters in history, and now I have to watch bad CGI, weak storylines, and shitty characters for four hours?!?

Fuck...This must be how bellefay feels about all movies

Snyder, for all the things people hate about him, does pretty good looking CGI. If the movie blows, it won't be because his CGI is bad. He makes amazing looking movies. The rest, well that's to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by riker7 View Post
              Will Superman's CGI upper lip make the cut?
              That was all Whedon. None of that in the Cut.

Comment

I’m about to turn this on now and I’ll report back with my opinion. I’m not much of a DC guy, but I don’t hate it on principle or anything. I’m hoping it’s good.

Comment

Okay, I tried. Sorry in advance theBHMAguy, but I have to do this.

The Bad:

1.) This movie is shot extremely poorly and the 4:3 shit is beyond retarded. Several scenes are cut off or otherwise obscured, if not downright irritating to look at because of how bad the shots are. Seriously, how can anyone consider this amateur bulls bit worthy of a budget this large?

2.) The lighting or I guess just the overall visual style is exhausting to look at. Everything is brown, grey, black, and overcast all the fucking time. I have an excellent TV that produces one of the best pictures on the market, and this movie looked like absolute shit. I have no idea why DC keeps making movies that look like this, but it’s not fun to stare at for long periods of time. It’s like a washed out 300 or something.

3.) The pacing of the movie is kind of jarring, and you’re never really sure where you are in the story. They try and build relationships between the characters and set up Darkseid the same way Marvel did Thanos, but it doesn’t work for a variety of reasons. There isn’t enough run time to make anything that happens between these characters or in the world generally feel like it matters, so any time they interact beyond a base, advance the narrative level, it just feels stilted and weird.

The Good:

1.) I really liked the way some of the characters costumes were designed and the more simplistic action scenes were actually shot very well. I won’t go into any detail here because of potential spoilers, but there’s a few scenes in the middle of the movie that are VERY well done. The problem is, Snyder seems to favor unnecessarily elaborate (and awkwardly choreographed) action scenes more often than not, so you don’t get the good stuff too often.

2.) Wonder Woman is awesome 99% of the time, Aquaman is based, Batman is Batman. The characters largely act and behave as they should, but they all needed a lot more on screen development with each other to make this movie work.

3.) I was actually able to finish it, unlike the original cut of the movie which I had to turn off 45 minutes in.

Comment

Oh and another thing: The sound is also awful. I spent a lot of money and did a lot of research to ensure I had a great home theater set up, and I listened to this movie using four different kinds of audio (surround, headphones, tv speakers, separate sound bar I used to use) and it all sounded horrible. Even my Fidelio X3’s that make everything sound anazing couldn’t save this movie. I just can’t for the life of me figure out why the production quality is so poor for a movie that was this expensive to make. These aren’t stylistic choices, they’re outright failures.

Comment

Responses: Bad then Good

1. I disagree whole heartedly. Again, say what you want about Snyder as a director, but his visuals are among the best in the business. And doing what he did, with what he was given, IMO was awesome. I do agree about the 4:3 ratio, as I was not a fan, but Snyder intended this as an IMAX piece. It is what it is.
                      2. I don't disagree with you here. It was that way from Man of Steel on, and it's his style (Look at 300 and Watchmen). I don't dislike it, but on my new Epson 6050, the color as presented still looked solid. As far as you having one of the best TV's on the market you can drop me what it is and I'll give you my .02 on that. Movie looked great on my projector. But like you, can't say I'm the biggest fan in the color tone.
                      3. I want to watch it again to respond to this. At no point in the movie did I feel like it was dragging, and I actually couldn't believe it was over as soon as it was. Another thing to remember is that Snyder was NOT trying to set up Darkseid like Marvel did Thanos. If you feel like they were trying and failed, it's because he wasn't trying (that's something you may not be aware of depending on what you read). He finished this movie as if it was the one that was going to be done 3 1/2 years ago and that he was going to get to do JL2 and JL3.

The Good

1. As I said above, I think he makes some of the best looking movies in Hollywood. The slow motion was a bit annoying, but I think he's a slam dunk with visuals.
                      2. Screen development was planned in other movies. They were not intended to get a lot of time. It's one reason why Flash & Cyborg got so much more time than the others, as they all had movies in development already. I also think part of the piece was to show that they didn't know each other well and would struggle to work well together. IMO, I think that would've been a focal point to JL2 when they lost to Darkseid. They weren't united enough to fight off the big bad Darkseid.
                      3. The original cut was horse crap. I honestly believe WB decided to eat the loss and wanted to cut ties with Snyder. They've spent almost 5 years trying to ruin the dude.

Your final sound thought: Maybe it's because I'm spoiled, but I don't know what you are talking about here. I have a full 7.2 channels going, and it was crisp and clear. I'm actually VERY picky with watching movies on streaming vs physical disc due to video and audio resolution loss. If I have a physical copy of a movie I will NEVER stream it. I actually thought about waiting on this to hit disc before watching, but couldn't hold myself back. As far as your HT setup, I'll make my own recommendation as to whether you have a good one or not when you tell me what you have. My audio was very well done for something via steam, which as I said, I'm very picky about. Even my wife commented about how well she thought it sounded and she was sucked in. And she never makes comments like that. I've read a lot of reviews, and even intentionally read ones I know are bad, and I don't recall anyone complaining about sound. Might be a lot more to it than the movie, but I don't know how your system is setup. I will say I've seen a lot of people with good systems...not utilize them right, or not do other stuff right. I also know I've streamed movies before and stopped them...because something wasn't right. Started again and it was fine. So I don't know what to say.

I would like to see what his 3 hour and some change cut looked like that he said he showed WB back in the day. I never felt bored, but I would've been fine with 3 or 4 good scenes cut out, and maybe nuking about 25-30% of the slow motion. I also like how Darkseid was much more prominently feature. And how you got a true Wonder Woman (what she did to Steppenwolf, amazing).

Comment

Also, if you're wondering if I straight up called you out on your sound and TV, yes, yes I did.

Comment

Also, if you're wondering if I straight up called you out on your sound and TV, yes, yes I did.
                          Lol haven’t read the big post yet, but feel free. It’s an objectively excellent set up that has performed extremely well with a wide variety of content. Games on various systems, movies, tv shows, you name it have all done extremely well. This movie just looks like dog shit.

Comment

Responses: Bad then Good

1. I disagree whole heartedly. Again, say what you want about Snyder as a director, but his visuals are among the best in the business. And doing what he did, with what he was given, IMO was awesome. I do agree about the 4:3 ratio, as I was not a fan, but Snyder intended this as an IMAX piece. It is what it is.
                            2. I don't disagree with you here. It was that way from Man of Steel on, and it's his style (Look at 300 and Watchmen). I don't dislike it, but on my new Epson 6050, the color as presented still looked solid. As far as you having one of the best TV's on the market you can drop me what it is and I'll give you my .02 on that. Movie looked great on my projector. But like you, can't say I'm the biggest fan in the color tone.
                            3. I want to watch it again to respond to this. At no point in the movie did I feel like it was dragging, and I actually couldn't believe it was over as soon as it was. Another thing to remember is that Snyder was NOT trying to set up Darkseid like Marvel did Thanos. If you feel like they were trying and failed, it's because he wasn't trying (that's something you may not be aware of depending on what you read). He finished this movie as if it was the one that was going to be done 3 1/2 years ago and that he was going to get to do JL2 and JL3.

The Good

1. As I said above, I think he makes some of the best looking movies in Hollywood. The slow motion was a bit annoying, but I think he's a slam dunk with visuals.
                            2. Screen development was planned in other movies. They were not intended to get a lot of time. It's one reason why Flash & Cyborg got so much more time than the others, as they all had movies in development already. I also think part of the piece was to show that they didn't know each other well and would struggle to work well together. IMO, I think that would've been a focal point to JL2 when they lost to Darkseid. They weren't united enough to fight off the big bad Darkseid.
                            3. The original cut was horse crap. I honestly believe WB decided to eat the loss and wanted to cut ties with Snyder. They've spent almost 5 years trying to ruin the dude.

Your final sound thought: Maybe it's because I'm spoiled, but I don't know what you are talking about here. I have a full 7.2 channels going, and it was crisp and clear. I'm actually VERY picky with watching movies on streaming vs physical disc due to video and audio resolution loss. If I have a physical copy of a movie I will NEVER stream it. I actually thought about waiting on this to hit disc before watching, but couldn't hold myself back. As far as your HT setup, I'll make my own recommendation as to whether you have a good one or not when you tell me what you have. My audio was very well done for something via steam, which as I said, I'm very picky about. Even my wife commented about how well she thought it sounded and she was sucked in. And she never makes comments like that. I've read a lot of reviews, and even intentionally read ones I know are bad, and I don't recall anyone complaining about sound. Might be a lot more to it than the movie, but I don't know how your system is setup. I will say I've seen a lot of people with good systems...not utilize them right, or not do other stuff right. I also know I've streamed movies before and stopped them...because something wasn't right. Started again and it was fine. So I don't know what to say.

I would like to see what his 3 hour and some change cut looked like that he said he showed WB back in the day. I never felt bored, but I would've been fine with 3 or 4 good scenes cut out, and maybe nuking about 25-30% of the slow motion. I also like how Darkseid was much more prominently feature. And how you got a true Wonder Woman (what she did to Steppenwolf, amazing).
                            It seems like you and I disagree a lot on the stylistic aspect of the movie, and that’s just a difference in taste. I loved Watchmen and to a lesser extent 300, and I thought both of those movies looked much better than this. I actually watched the extended cut of Watchmen on this same set up not too long ago, and I loved every second of it. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

On the equipment: You may be on to something about the quality of the stream, because that is something I’ve noticed with other things I’ve watched. I’m also a strictly physical guy if I can help it for many of the same reasons you listed. Hopefully this will see a physical release so I can try it out again later, because I was extremely disappointed in the overall presentation. I don’t know if you’ve ever used X3’s or not, but these things make EVERYTHING sound great, even old ass call of duty games, and it sounded like shit on those too.

A lot of what you posted here is stuff I didn’t know about the movie’s production, and I guess it makes sense that it turned out the way that it did given all of the issues. I do feel like there was a core here that could’ve went somewhere, but I just don’t like the visual style and they didn’t have enough time/movies to make it work how it should have. I’m willing to chalk the audio issues I had up to the fact that it was streamed, because it’s not the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

It seems like you and I disagree a lot on the stylistic aspect of the movie, and that’s just a difference in taste. I loved Watchmen and to a lesser extent 300, and I thought both of those movies looked much better than this. I actually watched the extended cut of Watchmen on this same set up not too long ago, and I loved every second of it. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

On the equipment: You may be on to something about the quality of the stream, because that is something I’ve noticed with other things I’ve watched. I’m also a strictly physical guy if I can help it for many of the same reasons you listed. Hopefully this will see a physical release so I can try it out again later, because I was extremely disappointed in the overall presentation. I don’t know if you’ve ever used X3’s or not, but these things make EVERYTHING sound great, even old ass call of duty games, and it sounded like shit on those too.

A lot of what you posted here is stuff I didn’t know about the movie’s production, and I guess it makes sense that it turned out the way that it did given all of the issues. I do feel like there was a core here that could’ve went somewhere, but I just don’t like the visual style and they didn’t have enough time/movies to make it work how it should have. I’m willing to chalk the audio issues I had up to the fact that it was streamed, because it’s not the equipment.
                              Yeah, it's rumored he got as much as 70 million to finish it, but I'm not sure I buy it. If you go around and read some stuff the last 3-4 months, I think Warner Bros wanted this to fail. They did not want something to be better than what they ended up green lighting years ago. AT&T bought WB and then own HBO Max, and they are the ones who struck up this deal (President and pieces at DC also came in and that helped with this). I became a Snyder fan after Watchmen, and I feel he gets a bad wrap. And it was almost like weeks after they brought him in to start this Universe they regretted it, and instead of fixing what they thought was their problem then, they just let it keep going. I am super encouraged though by the overall reviews from Critics and the general audience.

I'm a big fan of the Watchmen, and I actually prefer the movie over the comic (which is extremely rare). But I wonder (for you)...if it had been in a 2:35.1 aspect ratio how much of your distaste would be improved? One thing I'd like to go back and do is look at Snyder's scenes from the Whedon version, and see if Whedon changed the color tones up much. But his darker, "non shiney" palate isn't something most people hop on. As I said while not my favorite, I don't dislike it. But a brighter movie would've been fine too.

As far as equipment and streaming, that's just straight up facts man (quality, degredation, etc). But I don't think the visual color palate will be fixed by the physical version of this. I'm hoping the physical version will have a wide aspect ratio as well, because we know at least some of the scenes he did that way (via the first time around). It did bug me last night that I have that 158 inch 2:35.1 wall and I had to watch it in 4:3. But 10 minutes in I let it go because I really was enjoying myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X