Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dune (B+)

Finally got around to it...Visually stunning, amazing sound and great acting, but its an incomplete movie. I'll revisit the grade once I see Part 2 and there is a complete film to actually judge. This was 2 and a half hours of building plot and ending in a really awkward spot. I enjoyed it for what it was, but cant go higher until I see the finished product.

Comment

• Originally posted by JTrain View Post
      Dune (B+)

Finally got around to it...Visually stunning, amazing sound and great acting, but its an incomplete movie. I'll revisit the grade once I see Part 2 and there is a complete film to actually judge. This was 2 and a half hours of building plot and ending in a really awkward spot. I enjoyed it for what it was, but cant go higher until I see the finished product.
      That's higher than I would have graded it considering how they chose to end it; especially after it wasn't confirmed that there would be a part 2. Special effects were good, and the fight scene with Duncan was better than the previous movie and Sci Fi series, I just couldn't understand why they ended it there. It didn't make sense to the story. They should have ended as they're escaping after the Duncan fight imho.

Comment

• The Tragedy of Macbeth (B)

This shares a lot of the same DNA as Orson Welles' adaptation, although it's quite a bit pulpier. This serves the pacing very well but I don't think it totally aligns with this particular text. Denzel and McDormand provide a weariness to the characters that feels fresh, but it's Kathryn Hunter as the witches who easily gives the most inspired performance here. The cinematography and all the sets they built all feel very Dreyer influenced and that spareness is a little at odds with the condensed screenplay that mostly focuses on the more famous scenes without much connective tissue.

Comment

• Now that the embargo is up on films I saw over the summer...

Don't Look Up (C)

Think this is where I reached the breaking point with McKay. The Big Short worked really well for me (probably because of my lack of knowledge on the subject) and while Vice is obviously a mixed bag, I was captivated by Bale's soulless performance and thought the Oliver Stone of it all was appropriate for the subject. This one while very watchable is also kind of a trainwreck. The stunt casting doesn't work - everyone is too famous for their role sans Jonah - and watching this collection of celebrities lecture you about climate change starts becoming tedious about 45 minutes into this exhausting 2.5 hour film. There are a few gags that work but on the whole the comedy is way too broad and the satire is woefully poor in comparison to stuff like Veep and Succession. I was rolling my eyes basically every other scene. I can see why Leo did this because he gets a big Howard Beale style monologue and got to finally make a movie about climate change, but it's a rare mistep for him. JLaw is a complete zero in this and really needs to stick to strong actors directors like DOR.

Comment

• Being the Ricardos (C)

Sorkin really had to go and make his own Trumbo. Mildly enjoyable in the moment when he's not doing dumb flashbacks or faux documentary stuff or reverse engineering his bullshit rousing moments. But it evaporates quickly and still looks like shit. Please stop directing.

Comment

• Originally posted by JTrain View Post
              Dune (B+)

I agree with this review more or less. I don't think the ending was awkward though. It's been years since I read the book, but it's hard to imagine a logical stopping point for a two part movie, so they just went with what they thought worked best.

I also want to say I really enjoyed the form of story telling they used, which I thought was perfect given the source material. They managed to capture the essence of what Paul is going through without doing too many exposition dumps and making it too in your face.

Comment

• Haven't yet seen Dune but a good break would be where Paul and Jessica disappear into the storm.

Comment

• West Side Story (A-)

Is it possible to think this is clearly better than the 1961 version and still not see much justification for it existing? I guess the best reason is it woke Spielberg up because this is the most compelling filmmaking he's done since the early 2000s. It's still a bit too glossy and square for me, but that comes with the territory with late period Spielberg. The dancing/choreography isn't as strong as in Wise's film but almost everything else about this is a step up. The cast is very winning with the two major standouts being Ariana DeBose (duh, she's Anita) and Mike Faist, who has got to be the best Riff ever. Like the original film it still has a Tony and Maria problem, but I don't think there's any fixing that part of the material. Zegler has an amazing voice but really has no chemistry with Elgort at all. I do wish Kaminski toned down the sheer volume of lens flares, but otherwise this was just a very well assembled film that I enjoyed a ton even if it doesn't feel super fresh.
                  Last edited by worldofx; 12-25-2021, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Dear Evan Hansen (C-)

Ben Platt went to the beach that made him old.

Comment

• Benedetta (C+)

Not as clever as most Verhoeven films but still kinda fun.

Comment

• The Harder They Fall (C)

Great cast but this thing looks like shit. Kinda stuck between a Netflix prestige project and their assembly line of originals.

Comment

• The Hand of God (C+)

Wouldn't mind if Sorrentino stopped writing his films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresneck View Post
                            Red Notice B (Netfrix)

Remember The Rundown with The Rock and Stifler? Super fun, adventure, heist blah blah movie?

Well, replace Stifler with Van Wilder...Throw in some obvious Aviation and Terramana product placement...Add an "it" broad who's not the slightest bit comparable to Rosario Dawson...Then extrapolate that 20 years later with the charisma and star power of the current cast...Add a little Indiana Jones (the subtle reference to Indiana Jones is actually quite good, if you catch it)...And, that's Red Notice. At no point did I expect to be overwhelmed and awed, but I did want a good fun flick. It's a bit drawn out, but as the biggest budget movie in Netfrix history, it makes sense they'd try to prove the value of $200M along the way.

I'm not gonna' say the twist is predictable, but it's not exactly well-hidden.

A fun way to kill two hours. Nothing more, nothing less. It would've been better with an R rating, although Deadpool's "FUCK" was perfectly placed.

Comment

• Spider-Man: No Way Home (C)

Same issues as all the Avengers sequels, which this is conceptually drawing from. It all feels way too calculated and contrived. Doctor Strange is also a woeful fit for the scale and tone of this franchise. And of course it's shot almost entirely in the dark, which adds to the cheapness of Watts' already bland aesthetic. The only reasons to see this are steeped in nostalgia and a reminder of how much better Raimi's films were.

Comment

• Saw Spider-Man last night, I really did enjoy it, but my e-friend pretty much hit the main points above ^.

On a purely Marvel scale I would put it near the top.

On a pure Cinematic movie, it's a B-/C+
                                Last edited by boomie; 12-17-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X