Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik

Anyone here had lasik? Just got my yearly bonus in and considering doing it. Now seems like a good time to take a couple days off work.

Yes, I did it about 5 years ago and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. Over time it’ll pay off in glasses/contact savings and you can use your HSA if you have money built up in one.

It’s pretty painful for a few days, and visions was very odd for a week but once that went away I can no complications at all.

Comment

I still have 20/20 vision at 39 so I'm not a beta like you guys but the thought of them holding my eyes open while they cut them gives me extreme anxiety.

Comment

6 years ago. Pretty much what City said. Very happy with the decision.

I had to get PRK in one eye(essentially peeling off the outer layer of your eye like an onion and then it regenterates) and got Lasik in the other. The Lasik eye, I was good after a day off and was 20/20. PRK eye took about a month to fully heal, but ended up at the very good 20/15.

I would say over time the negative has been I have dry eyes more often than before, so I just carry eye drops during winter months.

The procedure itself only takes a few minutes.

Comment

I want to do it, but I"m almost 40 now. Not sure the trade off at this point.

Comment

PRK here. Was legally blind before it. Thank God I got it done

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post
              I want to do it, but I"m almost 40 now. Not sure the trade off at this point.
              Seeing vs not seeing. I dunno

Comment

Originally posted by Hamp View Post
                Seeing vs not seeing. I dunno
                As you get older, you will need stuff for nearsightedness. I actually have phenomenal nearsighted vision. Lasik can jack with that.

Comment

I had it done right before I left for college, great decision. They overcorrected both of my eyes, to where I have 20/15 vision. Outside of the issues immediately following the procedure, it's been smooth sailing.

Comment

I got it done 2 years ago. Best $2500 I ever spent.

The day of it, I looked out the window outside the doctors office without my glasses on... I couldnt see shit beyond the reach of my arm.

The day after, when I went back for the follow-up, I looked out the same window.... I could read billboards 6 blocks out. I literally cried.

Comment

Originally posted by theBHMAguy View Post

As you get older, you will need stuff for nearsightedness. I actually have phenomenal nearsighted vision. Lasik can jack with that.
                      You should go get a free consultation and see what they say about it(if you haven't already). You're right about how it can fuck up other vision (farsightedness actually, which means your ability to see close objects/reading) if you're getting older. It depends on the person though and a good doc will let you know about that and there's ways to test it.

My mother was in her 50's when she got it and it's been great for her. My co-worker opted against it after the initial tests and for her, she would have needed reading glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post

You should go get a free consultation and see what they say about it(if you haven't already). You're right about how it can fuck up other vision (farsightedness actually, which means your ability to see close objects/reading) if you're getting older. It depends on the person though and a good doc will let you know about that and there's ways to test it.

My mother was in her 50's when she got it and it's been great for her. My co-worker opted against it after the initial tests and for her, she would have needed reading glasses.
                        The one thing I was told was that I would ultimately need reading glasses, but the timeframe was long enough to warrant the cost. I was already about to spend $1000 renewing my eyeglass/contacts at the time I got Lasik and that renewal only lasts about 2-3 years. I'm good for the next 15 years now.

Damn it feels good knowing I can just step out and not have to worry about contacts if I ever wanted to wear sunglasses.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

The one thing I was told was that I would ultimately need reading glasses, but the timeframe was long enough to warrant the cost. I was already about to spend $1000 renewing my eyeglass/contacts at the time I got Lasik and that renewal only lasts about 2-3 years. I'm good for the next 15 years now.

Damn it feels good knowing I can just step out and not have to worry about contacts if I ever wanted to wear sunglasses.
                          Biggest time I still notice is when packing for long vacations and swimming.

And yes, sunglasses aren't a big thing in the NW most of the year, but for those 3 months of sun that we get, it's nice. I did at some point in childhood have those ridiculous clip on shades.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post

Biggest time I still notice is when packing for long vacations and swimming.

And yes, sunglasses aren't a big thing in the NW most of the year, but for those 3 months of sun that we get, it's nice. I did at some point in childhood have those ridiculous clip on shades.
                            My dad bought me a pair of Oakley sunglasses when I was in 8th grade ($200 at the time). I felt like a damn pimp. A few months later, I had to get eyeglasses and I could never wear them and I was pissed about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

My dad bought me a pair of Oakley sunglasses when I was in 8th grade ($200 at the time). I felt like a damn pimp. A few months later, I had to get eyeglasses and I could never wear them and I was pissed about it.
                              Lol at being able to keep sunglasses without losing them in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                              X