• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by riker7 View Post
    Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/us/jo...rnd/index.html
    Sad day for a branch of my family, who wrote many of his songs. RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

Why can't we transport Covid patients to outlying hospitals or heartland hospitals which are basically barely hitting capacity?

What we need is an app that should show which hospital can accept patients. We have a ton of ambulances and fire engines.

We do this for emergency cases - route ambulances to the nearest ER / Trauma center.

The idea is to quarantine these infected people. If at all possible you should isolate them where they are and minimize their contact with other people as much as possible. It would not make sense to introduce a COVID patient into an area with fewer cases and risk spreading it to another area that has not yet reached its peak. It is much more efficient/reasonable to build temporary hospitals or rent entire hotels for people who have COVID to temporarily house them if they are only requiring nasal cannula oxygen. Some of these people improve and come off oxygen and can go home to self-isolate. Others seem to be doing well for several days and then out of nowhere just crash and need emergent intubation and transfer to an ICU on ventilator support. What is scary is that there is no real rhyme or reason as to who does well and who does poorly. Some old people with COVID are doing well. Some 40-50 year olds crash and end up intubated. Having certain comorbidities do put some at higher risk for poor outcomes.

Hospitals do accept sick patients, if they have the capacity, in transfer under EMTALA law. My hospital accepted a patient needing an ICU bed about 1-2 weeks ago for instance. Unfortunately, now my hospital is starting to get more critically ill COVID patients and this rise has literally occurred over the last 1-2 weeks. We don't really know where we will peak with the numbers of critically ill but we have to prepare for the worst.

As for an APP that shows open hospital beds, that is not really how the process works. The number of open hospital beds is always changing as people get discharged and new ones get admitted simultaneously. To transfer a patient from one hospital to another it requires a physician to physician discussion. Sometimes it is straightforward and other times it is not. Sometimes large academic centers accept patients and they are placed on a bed log to transfer when a bed becomes available. There are people who coordinate transfers in hospital transfer centers that speak with each other and connect doctors to have the discussion about hospital transfer.
      Last edited by samnite; 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• John Prine critical.

Fucking a

Comment

• Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post
          John Prine critical.

Fucking a
          What could you possibly have against John Prine?

Comment

But but but we're out of Ventilators - we're out of Masks - we're out of PPE!. We need to get autoworkers to start making ventilators.....we need to get anybody with sewing skills to make masks. Anybody with a 3D printer should make shields.

FUCK THIS HYPERVENTILATING! FUCK BLAMING THE FED FOR ANY SHORTAGES - EVERY COUNTRY HAS BEEN BEHIND THE 8 BALL - SO CHILL.
            The Dems need to stop acting like drama queens and stop making Trump look like a genius when he says there's no need for the War Time Production Orders.
            https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...=2328340&faf=1

PPE survey

Comment

• Originally posted by daCat View Post

Think he is saying he is surprised that he is ill

Comment

I like John Prine. I had no idea who the other sick country guy was.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post

I like John Prine. I had no idea who the other sick country guy was.
                  I first heard the expression "fucking A" in the late 80s in Chicago. It was used as an exclamation of joy there. I guess it means something different in Atl?

Comment

I first heard the expression "fucking A" in the late 80s in Chicago. It was used as an exclamation of joy there. I guess it means something different in Atl?
                    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=fucking%20a

Comment

• It's become a non-committal statement with all the flavor of a plate full of plain grits.

Comment

• Originally posted by samnite View Post

The idea is to quarantine these infected people. If at all possible you should isolate them where they are and minimize their contact with other people as much as possible. It would not make sense to introduce a COVID patient into an area with fewer cases and risk spreading it to another area that has not yet reached its peak. It is much more efficient/reasonable to build temporary hospitals or rent entire hotels for people who have COVID to temporarily house them if they are only requiring nasal cannula oxygen. Some of these people improve and come off oxygen and can go home to self-isolate. Others seem to be doing well for several days and then out of nowhere just crash and need emergent intubation and transfer to an ICU on ventilator support. What is scary is that there is no real rhyme or reason as to who does well and who does poorly. Some old people with COVID are doing well. Some 40-50 year olds crash and end up intubated. Having certain comorbidities do put some at higher risk for poor outcomes.

Hospitals do accept sick patients, if they have the capacity, in transfer under EMTALA law. My hospital accepted a patient needing an ICU bed about 1-2 weeks ago for instance. Unfortunately, now my hospital is starting to get more critically ill COVID patients and this rise has literally occurred over the last 1-2 weeks. We don't really know where we will peak with the numbers of critically ill but we have to prepare for the worst.

As for an APP that shows open hospital beds, that is not really how the process works. The number of open hospital beds is always changing as people get discharged and new ones get admitted simultaneously. To transfer a patient from one hospital to another it requires a physician to physician discussion. Sometimes it is straightforward and other times it is not. Sometimes large academic centers accept patients and they are placed on a bed log to transfer when a bed becomes available. There are people who coordinate transfers in hospital transfer centers that speak with each other and connect doctors to have the discussion about hospital transfer.
                        What does it matter if a hospital is treating 2 patients - if you're setup to treat covid patients you treat covid patients. And so does it make sense for one area to go totally insane and not shift the load to another area?

That's how we computer people handle traffic and load - if one server goes down we shift traffic to another server. That's what we call load-balancing.

You medical people need to take some lessons from Uber on how to manage hospital beds. Let them write an app that manages all the issues you bring up . The problem is you doctors are so fucking technology averse it just fucking bothers me that why telemedicine hasn't taken off or why do we not use AI to diagnose people. You guys want the gravy train running so you prohibit computer scientists from developing any practical solutions.

Here's another problem with the fucking FDA and the medical industry. The FDA now says it's ok to use masks that are sterilized. Then why the fuck don't you allow it in normal times? The FDA requirement that you change a mask each time you see a new patient feels like waste. seems that you can relax the standards a bit and still deliver quality healthcare.

Wastage in the medical business is fucking the reason we have such high costs.
                        Last edited by sctrojan; 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

What does it matter if a hospital is treating 2 patients - if you're setup to treat covid patients you treat covid patients. And so does it make sense for one area to go totally insane and not shift the load to another area?

That's how we computer people handle traffic and load - if one server goes down we shift traffic to another server. That's what we call load-balancing.

You medical people need to take some lessons from Uber on how to manage hospital beds. Let them write an app that manages all the issues you bring up . The problem is you doctors are so fucking technology averse it just fucking bothers me that why telemedicine hasn't taken off or why do we not use AI to diagnose people. You guys want the gravy train running so you prohibit computer scientists from developing any practical solutions.

Here's another problem with the fucking FDA and the medical industry. The FDA now says it's ok to use masks that are sterilized. Then why the fuck don't you allow it in normal times? The FDA requirement that you change a mask each time you see a new patient feels like waste. seems that you can relax the standards a bit and still deliver quality healthcare.

Wastage in the medical business is fucking the reason we have such high costs.
                          There is a role for newer technologies and most younger doctors embrace them but the decisions regarding how new technology is implemented are made by hospital administrators and insurance companies. I don't think you realize how little power the actual doctor who is taking care of you has in terms of how a hospital is run. Most of the time there isn't enough money for a hospital to afford these new technologies anyway or the administration doesn't feel it is worth it.

As for learning from Uber, I don't use it so not sure how that applies to medicine. A lot of things are being researched, like AI, in medicine but until they become well-studied and affordable you are unlikely to see large hospital systems or offices or insurance companies go along with implementing them. It is hilarious that you think doctors have some personal vendetta against computer technology though. The generation of doctors not used to computers is largely phased out at this point since the government mandated everyone move to electronic health records under Obama.

As for the masks and sterilization, I honestly don't know if they are relaxing these rules more out of necessity due to shortages or if the evidence proves it is safe. The novel Coronavirus does have the potential to be airborne if someone is actively coughing/sneezing or using a nebulizer or being intubated so in those situations an N95 mask offers the best protection. If no N95 mask is available then the surgical mask is the next best thing.

Changing a mask between patients is the safest thing to do to minimize healthcare providers spreading disease between patients. This is just common sense.

Comment

• Thank you Samnite for fielding questions here. I hope you are well.

Comment

But but but we're out of Ventilators - we're out of Masks - we're out of PPE!. We need to get autoworkers to start making ventilators.....we need to get anybody with sewing skills to make masks. Anybody with a 3D printer should make shields.

FUCK THIS HYPERVENTILATING! FUCK BLAMING THE FED FOR ANY SHORTAGES - EVERY COUNTRY HAS BEEN BEHIND THE 8 BALL - SO CHILL.
                              The Dems need to stop acting like drama queens and stop making Trump look like a genius when he says there's no need for the War Time Production Orders.
                              https://www.mediaite.com/donald-trum...the-back-door/

One example given was a hospital in New York that would normally use “roughly 10,000 to 20,000 masks a week” but was now was using up to 200,000 to 300,000 a week.

Part of the reason for the increased use is that patients infected with Covid-19 are highly contagious, and the virus is transmitted through aerosolized water droplets in a patient’s breath. Recommendations from the CDC and other health experts say for that every single interaction with a suspected coronavirus patient, a medical provider should wear a new mask and other PPE. Under normal circumstances, not all emergency room or intensive care patients would require such equipment.

Comment

• Downtown and midtown Atlanta just need to shut down the parks and BeltLine. Everyone is treating this like an early summer vacation and going out and doing everything they shouldn’t be doing. Crews put up tape blocking the exercise stuff and kids park stuff and people just ripped it down. They closed one hiking trail and put up barriers and people just parked and moved them. The BeltLine is too small for people to walk and jog without being too close to each other.

It’s so stupid to not just shut everything down for a month and get done with this. Newsflash, small business is already hurting horribly and this skeleton crew stuff to avoid shutting to down to make Trump happy is getting old.

People are too stupid and selfish for their own good.

Comment

Working...
                                X