Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your BBQ hot takes here!

http://dining.blog.austin360.com/201...lin-barbecues/

I never call out other food writers and restaurant critics. There are several reasons, but mostly because I respect the hard work that all my peers put into their jobs (we’re something of a tight-knit community), and everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. Unless that opinion is that brisket in Washington D.C. made at a restaurant that until a year ago was using a gas-assisted smoker is better than the brisket at Franklin Barbecue. The Washington Post’s Tim Carman listed his top 10 barbecue places in the D.C. Metro area and ranked Hill Country barbecue as the area’s

The most astonishing thing he wrote?
    I wrote something in my notes that I never thought I’d utter about Hill Country: The “brisket is as good or better than Franklin’s.”
    Yea, and Austin has better crab cakes than Baltimore.

Look, I’ve never been to Hill Country barbecue in D.C., or the flagship in Manhattan opened by a man with Texas roots who modeled his restaurant on Kreuz Market in his family’s hometown of Lockhart. But I don’t need to to know that the brisket there, or anywhere in D.C., can’t touch that at Franklin Barbecue.
    Now I've never had Franklin's brisket before but I can tell you this, fucking Hill Country doesn't even have top 5 brisket in the DMV and we're shit for BBQ.

This food blogger should kill his or herself.

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post

Now I've never had Franklin's brisket before but I can tell you this, fucking Hill Country doesn't even have top 5 brisket in the DMV and we're shit for BBQ.

How does someone write "I've never tried the thing that someone says they like more than my favorite thing, but I'm still pissed about it" and never once say to themselves "Hey, maybe I'm wrong?"

I don't know anything about the places he's talking about, so I'm going to do what he should have done and not give an opinion.

Comment

DC is probably considered top notch compared to what we have here. There is only one BBQ place I've had around that was amazing. It's a place called Pork Chop and their pulled pork sandwich with jalapeno slaw was amazing. I know, I know, jalapeno slaw isn't traditional BBQ, but I don't care...it was good.

Comment

We recently had a place in KC open up called Q39 that is fucking awesome. I normally don't like the newer places, and like the old school places here like Arthur Bryants that has the 90 year old smoker, etc...

But I would certainly send someone here if they are in town. That is if they can find a parking spot, the place is always crowded....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/q39-kansas-city-5

Of course I eat BBQ about twice a year anymore.

Comment

Can you imagine the soul-draining conversations beamer has with his sewing circle on a daily basis?

Comment

Originally posted by riker7 View Post
            Can you imagine the soul-draining conversations beamer has with his sewing circle on a daily basis?
            Bryce Harper, craft beer, gay sex, etc.

Comment

It's quite a statement...Many in Austin will have their own favorite place other than Franklin's, but Franklin's is still always the reference point. It's quite a take to suggest that joint in DC is already better.

As an aside, yet very much related...https://www.eater.com/2017/6/29/1587...s-rodney-scott

Comment

The pics for Federalist Pig are not very appealing...

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post
                  The pics for Federalist Pig are not very appealing...
                  Yea, noticed that. Was surprising to me b/c it's probably top 2 or 3 in the DMV.

Comment

Well, one thing that both DC and Austin have in common is they are overrated shitholes.

/hot take

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post
                      Well, one thing that both DC and Austin have in common is they are overrated shitholes.

/hot take
                      You forgot liberal

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post

/hot take

Comment

All BBQ best of lists are stupid. They always try to hit all corners of the country always include some weird place and always have some hot take.

Comment

Richmond VA has some good BBQ. Buzz & Neds is solid. Pierce's is good if you're near Williamsburg. Norfolk has a few good spots. I can't say the BBQ in D.C. is bad, but it's not world class either.

Comment

St. Louis has some great restaurants. Can't remember the names of the places I went to. Memphis is another one. I went to Joe's in Kansas years ago. Bangin. I think it was called Oklahoma Joe's back then. Bryant's as well. I like their spicy sauce. Austin is a BBQ Mecca. Franklin won a James Beard award.

Personally, I'm a fan of North Carolina style, so I like Allen & Son and The Pig in Chapel Hill and Skylight Inn in Ayden.

Comment

Working...
                              X