X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresneck
    replied
    Originally posted by Gyle View Post

I had a friend drag me to Maurice's when I lived in Columbia. I never really cared for it. I remember being very amused by the Confederate flag tube socks in the gift shop, though
    I never visited that one. The comp in Jan/Feb had their welcome brunch there, and I chose not to go to the comp. I didn't know the family history until I saw this story a few hours ago. I realize things have changed drastically, but I still wouldn't support them...And, now I have a better reason to avoid the ones around here.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied
    Originally posted by Fresneck View Post

I didn't find that quote in the write-up, but he was a staunch supporter of the stereotypical previous generations' beliefs on segregation and the treatment of humans based on their skin color.
    Dumb cracker.

Leave a comment:

• Gyle
    replied
    AMERICA’S MOST POLITICAL FOOD

The founder of a popular South Carolina barbecue restaurant was a white supremacist. Now that his children have taken over, is it O.K. to eat there?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...political-food

I actually find this an interesting read. I tried Bessy's (as it's locally known) again last summer, and I wasn't a fan. Lewis, Home Team, Scott's, Swig & Swine...We're lucky to have world class spots throughout the city, so the traditional (if you wanna' call it that) aspect of Bessigner's or Melvin's doesn't really compare to the ones understanding the evolution of food in this city. I find the title of the piece the most intriguing, because I think it's a title most of us in our highest levels BBQ snobbery find accurate, regardless of location throughout the country.
    I had a friend drag me to Maurice's when I lived in Columbia. I never really cared for it. I remember being very amused by the Confederate flag tube socks in the gift shop, though

Leave a comment:

• Fresneck
    replied
    Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post

Ohh I didn't even read it. He really believes a little bigotry builds flavor? Ouch. I'll read it later.

I used peach wood yesterday and just peach wood. Real light but sweet flavor on chicken thighs. Might be good on fish or seafood but I wouldn't use it as a primary for something big.

I didn't find that quote in the write-up, but he was a staunch supporter of the stereotypical previous generations' beliefs on segregation and the treatment of humans based on their skin color.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it appears the OG Bessinger felt that way.
    Ohh I didn't even read it. He really believes a little bigotry builds flavor? Ouch. I'll read it later.

I used peach wood yesterday and just peach wood. Real light but sweet flavor on chicken thighs. Might be good on fish or seafood but I wouldn't use it as a primary for something big.

Leave a comment:

• Fresneck
    replied
    Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post
    Racism adds flavor. It's science.
    I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it appears the OG Bessinger felt that way.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied
    Racism adds flavor. It's science.

Leave a comment:

• Fresneck
    replied
    AMERICA’S MOST POLITICAL FOOD

The founder of a popular South Carolina barbecue restaurant was a white supremacist. Now that his children have taken over, is it O.K. to eat there?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...political-food

I actually find this an interesting read. I tried Bessy's (as it's locally known) again last summer, and I wasn't a fan. Lewis, Home Team, Scott's, Swig & Swine...We're lucky to have world class spots throughout the city, so the traditional (if you wanna' call it that) aspect of Bessigner's or Melvin's doesn't really compare to the ones understanding the evolution of food in this city. I find the title of the piece the most intriguing, because I think it's a title most of us in our highest levels BBQ snobbery find accurate, regardless of location throughout the country.

Leave a comment:

• Fresneck
    replied
    Originally posted by PokesBo View Post

That's fine. I'm just saying cookin ribs like that does actually taste good. I'm not saying it's the best or it's even close to Q but if you ate it and just said, "this isn't real BBQ." Your fine. You'd still probably say it taste pretty good.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/leos-barbeque-oklahoma-city

Best BBQ I've ever had. Back in 2011 I lived across from this place. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zom...wnee%3Famp%3D1

Every fucking day I'd smell the fire in the morning as I lit up a j before work. Smell them cooking in the afternoon(I got fat because of them). Then on weekends I would sometimes get dinner there. Fuck it was good.

Leave a comment:

• PokesBo
    replied
    Originally posted by CheaterMichael

I have had BBQ where someone just threw some stuff in a crock pot and covered it with sauce.

It tasted like overly caramelized meat stuff. You don't cook something in sugar for hours.
    Well we'll agree to disagree then.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied
    Originally posted by PokesBo View Post

That's fine. I'm just saying cookin ribs like that does actually taste good. I'm not saying it's the best or it's even close to Q but if you ate it and just said, "this isn't real BBQ." Your fine. You'd still probably say it taste pretty good.

Best BBQ I've ever had. Back in 2011 I lived across from this place. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zom...wnee%3Famp%3D1

Every fucking day I'd smell the fire in the morning as I lit up a j before work. Smell them cooking in the afternoon(I got fat because of them). Then on weekends I would sometimes get dinner there. Fuck it was good.
    I have had BBQ where someone just threw some stuff in a crock pot and covered it with sauce.

It tasted like overly caramelized meat stuff. You don't cook something in sugar for hours.

Leave a comment:

• PokesBo
    replied
    And honestly the best BBQ I've ever had that wasn't an actual place was this old retired navy guy in Richmond Virginia. He decided to make one of those huge ass trailer grills(I think my buddy's dad might have made it for him) he'd just park in a parking lot and server BBQ. Only place you'd ever see a priest and a pimp sharing a meal.

Leave a comment:

• PokesBo
    replied
    Originally posted by CheaterMichael

I'm not going to give you a reply of disgust....just going to clarify.

The very definition of BBQ is coking stuff over an open flame. It's a noun. It's a verb.

Throwing shit into a non-flame sourced heating element with the goal of slow cooking is just slow cooking with BBQ seasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Canedude08
    replied
    Originally posted by daCat View Post

IMO, the venue has nothing to do with it. That said, I've had great bbq in places I had to worry if the rain would collapse the ceiling and also in places I wouldn't be afraid to eat off the floor.
    Hence why I said "odds are". I've been to some nice rib joints in my day, but there's a reason why a lot of these legendary BBQ joints look like hell holes. Let's be honest, BBQ as an American institution was created by the poorest Americans, who by skill managed to take crappy meat and make it not only edible, but desirable.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied
    Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

Fair, honestly I didn't know that was the definition so the hatred of "BBQ" crockpot is based on logic not snobbery. So I cooked them didn't BBQ them.

I feel enlightened now.
    Not going to lie, I learned bbq cooking from my Grandfather and Aunt far more than I ever did my parents. My parents were the worst when it came to Q. They'd boil ribs *yes, ribs in just water to 'tenderize them'" then throw them on the grill with sauce on them. It was sad.

I've never tasted the devil that is crock pot pork parts outside of whatever is in a cocktail weeny and I stand my ground on all things BBQ crock pot related.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X