X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worldofx
    replied
    Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
    Hate to break it to you Waldo, but Adam Driver is ugly as fuck, talks weird, and sucks at acting. I watched that movie about CIA torturing people the other day, and I wanted to literally vomit on the screen. Why do leftists unironically like people that suck? Is it just a sad attempt at being edgy or something?

Watch Marriage Story and get back to me.

Leave a comment:

• tOSUfanboi2
    replied
    Hate to break it to you Waldo, but Adam Driver is ugly as fuck, talks weird, and sucks at acting. I watched that movie about CIA torturing people the other day, and I wanted to literally vomit on the screen. Why do leftists unironically like people that suck? Is it just a sad attempt at being edgy or something?

Leave a comment:

• Pollaski
    replied
    Been making a bit of use of my free Disney+ subscription.

The Muppets (C+)
    Nobody I ever want to see in Hollywood more than Amy Adams in a lighthearted role. The overall film was definitely funny and fun to watch, but it just didn't have the same charm as the older muppet films.

The Great Muppet Caper (B)
    I saw this as a kid, but rewatched again now that I'm older. I just remember being disturbed by the Murphy bed scenes. Tough to believe that this movie is forty years old (holy shit is Diana Rigg young)- I don't think kids today would appreciate the absolute genius of the mass bike riding scene. Anyways, every bit as fun with all the Muppet Hijinks that you remember. Song-wise, right up there with the original Muppet Movie, although still a step below the utter brilliance of Muppet Christmas Carol.

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied
    Laundromat - A (netflix)

Brilliant Soderberg movie about Panama Papers starring Streep, Banderas, Oldman, Jeffrey Wright - cameos by Schwimmer, Sharon Stone, Bernadette (Big Bang)
    Last edited by sctrojan; Yesterday, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    More catch-up...

Midsommar (B+)

Man I'm torn on this one. Ari Aster is obviously very talented - I think this one coalesces quite a bit better than Hereditary did - but my God is this whole thing over-directed. It's a shame because there are some absolutely brilliant concepts and segments in this film (the opening sequence all the way up to the argument revealing the dynamic of Pugh and Reynor's relationship is note perfect, not coincidentally one of the few times Aster gets out of the way). Overall it's impressive but I look forward to when Aster matures a little bit as a director because the dude has a very unique take on relationship dynamics.

I Lost My Body (A-)

France delivered the best animated film AND musical score of the year. Stunning work from Jeremy Clapin and Dan Levy, just totally captivated by the whole journey and that includes the creepy protagonist. I'm actually surprised the depiction equals endorsement crowd hasn't gone after this one yet.

Atlantics (B+)

Beguiling first film from french actress Mati Diop. Cannes really killed it this year.

Luce (B)

Classic case of a well-meaning Sundance film with young screenwriters who are trying to say too much. Ends up feeling inconsistent but there are flashes of brilliance. Great breakout performance from Kelvin Harrison.

The Dead Don't Die (C)

Big Jarmusch fan but this one just fell flat for me. Driver nailed those deadpan deliveries though.

The Report (C-)

Another film that kinda wastes Driver. All that Sundance buzz for this didactic one-dimensional script? It's funny that it throws shade at Zero Dark Thirty when it doesn't have an ounce of that film's cinematic verve.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (C)

Seems like something that was hard to adapt from page to screen. Linklater always finds the humanity but I forgot about this quickly afterwards.

Gemini Man (C-)

I can't get over the fundamental mistake of Will Smith, the guy who has looked the same age for 25 years, being the person you cast for a film that revolves around de-aging. I hope Ang Lee escapes from this stretch of his career.

Harriet (D)

Total garbage. Man do I miss the Kasi Lemmons who made Eve's Bayou.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    Originally posted by worldofx View Post
    Marriage Story (A+)

Adam Driver has the belt.

Also convinced Gerwig ghost wrote some of this (Dern's final monologue is beyond obvious) because there's no way Baumbach wrote something this good by himself.

My #1 film of the year is now on Netflix. Watch it.

Leave a comment:

• JTrain
    replied
    Joker (B)

The writing was a bit of a mess (kind of all over the place) but Joaquin was fucking incredible. I still give the nod to Heath as the GOAT in that character, but this was a great portrayal of Joker.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    Knives Out (B+)

This is like 20% too try-hard for me to love it, but it's quite entertaining and I've been waiting a long time for Ana de Armas to get a role this good so I'm not complaining. I thought Rian did a much better job revealing character than plot.

Leave a comment:

• riker7
    replied
    The Irishman (A)

"What kind of man makes a phone call like that?"

Haunting stuff from Marty, who covered some of this territory better in Silence but nevertheless always delivers the goods. How this guy continues to make stuff like this at 76 years old is beyond me.

Pacino is fun and De Niro has a great scene, but Pesci thoroughly owns this thing from beginning to end.
    I tried to watch this but couldn't get past cartoon Robert De Niro.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    The Peanut Butter Falcon (B+)

Honey Boy (B-)

Aka the Shia 2019 Redemption Tour double feature.

He's so good in PBF and single-handedly elevates it from generic 2000s feel good indie. Honey Boy is a bit of a mess but it takes balls to put something that personal on screen.

The man is simply a fantastic actor.

Leave a comment:

• riker7
    replied
    Knives Out is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    Dark Waters (A-)

It's annoying that people are treating this like it was a paycheck job for Todd Haynes. The sense of dread and utter helplessness he creates through visual storytelling here is impeccable and very much coming from the same guy who made the masterpiece that is SAFE. Really solid work from Haynes and Ruffalo and everyone involved, although I could've done without Hathaway turning it up to 100 to overcompensate for the concerned wife role.
    Last edited by worldofx; Yesterday, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CheaterMichael
    replied
    Irishmen out on Netflix but I always like watching Thanksgiving movies around this time. Might make an exception.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    The Irishman (A)

"What kind of man makes a phone call like that?"

Haunting stuff from Marty, who covered some of this territory better in Silence but nevertheless always delivers the goods. How this guy continues to make stuff like this at 76 years old is beyond me.

Pacino is fun and De Niro has a great scene, but Pesci thoroughly owns this thing from beginning to end.

This is on Netflix now btw.

Leave a comment:

• worldofx
    replied
    1917 (A)

Roger Deakins and Sam Mendes with the best argument yet that theme park rides can be cinema too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X