Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering some other bases...

Dolemite is My Name (B-)

Hard not to love Eddie Murphy in a role like this. Super formulaic but the formula works just enough.

Long Shot (C)

The American President really did not need to be repurposed as a mid-2000s studio comedy.

Downton Abbey (C)

The Christmas special of a TV show that left its peak a long time ago.

The King (D)

I like my Shakespeare adaptations to actually like Shakespeare.

Comment

• Men in Black: International (D-)

Holy hell this is bad.

Comment

• Dumbo (C-)

That's a cute elephant. Somehow clearly the best of Disney's three remakes this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by worldofx View Post
          Men in Black: International (D-)

Holy hell this is bad.
          Why would you subject yourself? I have yet to see any MIB film.

Comment

• Ford v. Ferrari (B)

As far as dad movies go this one is mostly satisfying.

Comment

• Little Women (A-)

Gerwig's writing is just too sharp. She made it personal and modern and relevant. Still prefer Winona's totally guileless Jo to this more defiant interpretation but Sirsh is always good. Chalamet does goofy fuckboy pretty well. Florence Pugh totally steals this whole movie.

Comment

• 1917 (A)

Roger Deakins and Sam Mendes with the best argument yet that theme park rides can be cinema too.

Comment

The Irishman (A)

"What kind of man makes a phone call like that?"

Haunting stuff from Marty, who covered some of this territory better in Silence but nevertheless always delivers the goods. How this guy continues to make stuff like this at 76 years old is beyond me.

Pacino is fun and De Niro has a great scene, but Pesci thoroughly owns this thing from beginning to end.

This is on Netflix now btw.

Comment

• Irishmen out on Netflix but I always like watching Thanksgiving movies around this time. Might make an exception.

Comment

• Dark Waters (B+)

It's annoying that people are treating this like it was a paycheck job for Todd Haynes. The sense of dread and utter helplessness he creates through visual storytelling here is impeccable and very much coming from the same guy who made the masterpiece that is SAFE. Really solid work from Haynes and Ruffalo and everyone involved, although I could've done without Hathaway turning it up to 100 to overcompensate for the concerned wife role.
                      Last edited by worldofx; 11-27-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Knives Out is fantastic.

Comment

• The Peanut Butter Falcon (B+)

Honey Boy (B-)

Aka the Shia 2019 Redemption Tour double feature.

He's so good in PBF and single-handedly elevates it from generic 2000s feel good indie. Honey Boy is a bit of a mess but it takes balls to put something that personal on screen.

The man is simply a fantastic actor.

Comment

The Irishman (A)

"What kind of man makes a phone call like that?"

Haunting stuff from Marty, who covered some of this territory better in Silence but nevertheless always delivers the goods. How this guy continues to make stuff like this at 76 years old is beyond me.

Pacino is fun and De Niro has a great scene, but Pesci thoroughly owns this thing from beginning to end.
                            I tried to watch this but couldn't get past cartoon Robert De Niro.

Comment

• Knives Out (B+)

This is like 20% too try-hard for me to love it, but it's quite entertaining and I've been waiting a long time for Ana de Armas to get a role this good so I'm not complaining. I thought Rian did a much better job revealing character than plot.

Comment

• Joker (B)

The writing was a bit of a mess (kind of all over the place) but Joaquin was fucking incredible. I still give the nod to Heath as the GOAT in that character, but this was a great portrayal of Joker.

Comment

Working...
                                X