Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around...

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post

It blew my mind the first time I learned that there were basically no immigration laws until the Chinese exclusion acts and subsequent court cases.

Immigration laws here are fundamentally racially based from the genesis, as is the subsequent law that still stands today . Plessy v. Furgeson may have been overturned, but all the crazy racist decisions in immigration from the late 1800's and early 1900's are still on the books and drive a lot of the case law to this day.
    Damn near every single major policy decision this country has ever engaged in has a whiff of bigotry in it, and in a lot of cases more than a whiff. This is why when people say "All you people do is concentrate on race", I can't help but laugh. It's the ultimate case of projection.

Comment

Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post

Damn near every single major policy decision this country has ever engaged in has a whiff of bigotry in it, and in a lot of cases more than a whiff. This is why when people say "All you people do is concentrate on race", I can't help but laugh. It's the ultimate case of projection.
      Jesus Christ, some of what you say makes sense, but then other shit makes you sound completely delusional. Since you insist on going there though, it must be nice to be black and say outrageous bullshit and have no one call you on it because they’re afraid to be called racist. You’d be seriously fucked in most arguments if 80% of the white population wasn’t scared shitless of every dude darker than a slice of wonder bread that raises his voice.

Comment

Also, since it's been brought up, Stephen Miller and many in the Trump admin did EVERYTHING in their power to stop and slow LEGAL immigration...but it's a different topic than why the fuck so many Americans went from, "we just want them to do it legally" to "build the wall, child abuse is A-OK!, MAGA!"

I also agree that "we want them to do it legally," is a totally sane argument....but that's not at all what we're even talking about either. There's literally 40% of America that's totally ok with abusing children and keeping out all Muslims and I can't get my head around it how we went from classical immigration debates to completely crazy.
        Frankly, people have been noting how garbage the Immigration policy is for decades. There are few legal avenues for a lot of people, especially people from Africa, latin America and Asia. One of the best breakdowns of it came from shockingly enough, John Oliver. The problem is that there are a ton of people that have zero interest in fixing it.

https://youtu.be/tXqnRMU1fTs

Comment

Frankly, people have been noting how garbage the Immigration policy is for decades. There are few legal avenues for a lot of people, especially people from Africa, latin America and Asia. One of the best breakdowns of it came from shockingly enough, John Oliver. The problem is that there are a ton of people that have zero interest in fixing it.

https://youtu.be/tXqnRMU1fTs
          Uh oh...you used a youtube video to help illustrate your point. Better watch out, here comes DPR to tell you how right-wing you are.

Comment

I certainly wish our immigration system could be reformed to be about economics instead of race and nationality.
            Unfortunately, in today's culture, trying to make it about economics results in people calling you racist because even economics is racist.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

Uh oh...you used a youtube video to help illustrate your point. Better watch out, here comes DPR to tell you how right-wing you are.
              You retard, it's John Oliver's show on HBO that he's linking to. Seriously why are you such a fucking big Trumptard?

I bet you're more upset that Dr. Seuss got cancelled instead of Dr. Fauci

Comment

Yep. Over, and over, and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post

Unfortunately, in today's culture, trying to make it about economics results in people calling you racist because even economics is racist.
                  On the one hand I get it. A lot of people who don’t really contribute any value to society or have any skills to speak of make a really good living babbling about this shit. I respect the hustle, in a way. If I could sit around and bitch and cry on Twitter all day and get handed free shit/money/TV spots, I might consider doing it.

On the other hand, it gets to a point where this shit becomes so outrageous that nobody can possibly take it seriously, and the real world consequences of their stupidity becoming mainstream start to emerge. There won’t be fire and brimstone, no, it’ll be far worse than that. Instead, what we’re going to see is a gradual decline in dialogue between people of differing backgrounds and viewpoints in an attempt to avoid conflict and maintain sanity/solidarity. The long term consequences of that kind of trend are likely: Revolution/civil war, gradual decline in everyone’s quality of life as society stagnates, and/or a political system that is so paralyzed by the radically different views of their constituents that they never actually do anything.

In an ideal world, people would unite along class lines and put this juvenile bullshit aside, recognizing it for the divide and conquer bullshit it is. Unfortunately, the more likely scenario is they’ll just get more pissed off at each other while the assholes make off with all the money. I guess that’s just what happens when your working poor are split between both parties and neither side actually cares to represent them.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

On the one hand I get it. A lot of people who don’t really contribute any value to society or have any skills to speak of make a really good living babbling about this shit. I respect the hustle, in a way. If I could sit around and bitch and cry on Twitter all day and get handed free shit/money/TV spots, I might consider doing it.

On the other hand, it gets to a point where this shit becomes so outrageous that nobody can possibly take it seriously, and the real world consequences of their stupidity becoming mainstream start to emerge. There won’t be fire and brimstone, no, it’ll be far worse than that. Instead, what we’re going to see is a gradual decline in dialogue between people of differing backgrounds and viewpoints in an attempt to avoid conflict and maintain sanity/solidarity. The long term consequences of that kind of trend are likely: Revolution/civil war, gradual decline in everyone’s quality of life as society stagnates, and/or a political system that is so paralyzed by the radically different views of their constituents that they never actually do anything.

In an ideal world, people would unite along class lines and put this juvenile bullshit aside, recognizing it for the divide and conquer bullshit it is. Unfortunately, the more likely scenario is they’ll just get more pissed off at each other while the assholes make off with all the money. I guess that’s just what happens when your working poor are split between both parties and neither side actually cares to represent them.
                    Truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

There's a reason why the saying "politicians are like diapers....." exists.

Unfortunately, it seems apparent that most of the country likes swimming in the shit that is their same politicians for 30, 40, 50 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

I mean, I get it, but we really need to draw a distinction here. Democrats have plenty of faults and are displaying that now with their caving on stimmy checks and plenty of other stupid issues they get drawn into, but it is worth noting that the entire GOP seems transfixed on Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head's penis at the moment. One is a serious party that fucks up a lot and has plenty of issues, and the other is a party full of colossal dipshits who want to wage culture wars over everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPR View Post

I mean, I get it, but we really need to draw a distinction here. Democrats have plenty of faults and are displaying that now with their caving on stimmy checks and plenty of other stupid issues they get drawn into, but it is worth noting that the entire GOP seems transfixed on Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head's penis at the moment. One is a serious party that fucks up a lot and has plenty of issues, and the other is a party full of colossal dipshits who want to wage culture wars over everything.
                          I mean you’re not wrong, but I feel like I need to keep posting this meme.

Comment

• On that note, I wonder how long we'll have to wait for Fox News to start speculating if Mr. Potato Head still has his "skin" or if he's been peeled. Let's at least make this interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPR View Post

The democrats have been waging a culture war for years, granted it wasn't completely baseless, but suddenly it's wrong for there to be a culture war when it's quite clear the pendulum is starting to swing entirely too far on the rebound? Last I checked, republicans aren't pushing bills to force Mattel to keep the potato male (honestly, they're really not doing much of anything except obstructing atm). It's the democrats pushing culture based legislation (ie: trans athletic laws) which will end up doing more harm than good. But sure, it's perfectly acceptable for the dems to push a culture war that you agree with, yet totally unacceptable for people to be a little pissed that coke is telling them to less white.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

The democrats have been waging a culture war for years, granted it wasn't completely baseless, but suddenly it's wrong for there to be a culture war when it's quite clear the pendulum is starting to swing entirely too far on the rebound? Last I checked, republicans aren't pushing bills to force Mattel to keep the potato male (honestly, they're really not doing much of anything except obstructing atm). It's the democrats pushing culture based legislation (ie: trans athletic laws) which will end up doing more harm than good. But sure, it's perfectly acceptable for the dems to push a culture war that you agree with, yet totally unacceptable for people to be a little pissed that coke is telling them to less white.
                                Uh, everyone has waged a culture war since the dawn of humankind. That's kind of my point.

And Republicans aren't going to introduce legislation to force Hasbro to give a potato a penis. They'll just put "in god we trust" on all of our money, require schools to recite the pledge of allegiance every morning, sign contracts with sports leagues to fly jets overhead and glorify the military, and introduce hundreds of pieces of legislation pushing Christian BS into public schools in all 50 states. There is a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea.

This notion that Republicans only recently took up culture wars is absolutely fucking maniacal.

Comment

Working...
                                X