Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DPR View Post

Pretty much. You can't stick the min wage into reconciliation.

Democrats are just going to have to figure out how badly they want to let Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema jerk them around. I'd push hard on Sinema as she's obviously not going to switch parties and a different Democrat can win in AZ. Manchin is basically a god right now.
    Yeah. And, he knows it. To his credit, I do think he’s representing the views of his constituency, however much that might rankle the progressive wing of the party. West Virginia is basically a red state. If he switches parties, or even just decides not to run, the net result is the same. And, Democrats have to recognize this and not view themselves as having the bulletproof simple majority some think they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

Yeah. And, he knows it. To his credit, I do think he’s representing the views of his constituency, however much that might rankle the progressive wing of the party. West Virginia is basically a red state. If he switches parties, or even just decides not to run, the net result is the same. And, Democrats have to recognize this and not view themselves as having the bulletproof simple majority some think they have.
      As I keep saying, Manchin is going to get his money worth out of his position of influence, it’s just a matter of what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

As I keep saying, Manchin is going to get his money worth out of his position of influence, it’s just a matter of what he wants.
        I guess I wish he would stop being coy and just say it. He’s enjoying it. But, while it’s fun to be in a position to gloat, I find it’s best to have a little bit of fun and quickly move on. The guys who dwell there too long seem to have tragic endings, politically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

I guess I wish he would stop being coy and just say it. He’s enjoying it. But, while it’s fun to be in a position to gloat, I find it’s best to have a little bit of fun and quickly move on. The guys who dwell there too long seem to have tragic endings, politically speaking.
          Nobody ever said he was the best politician.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Nobody ever said he was the best politician.
            Fair.

Comment

Pretty much. You can't stick the min wage into reconciliation.

Democrats are just going to have to figure out how badly they want to let Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema jerk them around. I'd push hard on Sinema as she's obviously not going to switch parties and a different Democrat can win in AZ. Manchin is basically a god right now.
              2022 should be good for Dems to pick up 2 senate seats and then these ucks can GTFO.

Comment

I'd love to be a conservative one day just so I could know what it is like to be shamelessly wrong over and over again and continue pushing forward.

Every time we've raised the min wage, jobs have not been hurt. Every time conservatives say raising the min wage or raising taxes or implementing enviro regs will kill the economy and it never happens.

Worth noting daCat was fine with Trump risking economic ruin to get a slightly better trade deal with China but thinks bumping the min wage is too risky.
                It's the same shit they feed us with trickle down economics that causes the economy to collapse like clockwork every single time. IE: Policies that benefit wealthy Republicans.

The other thing that boggles my mind(and this comes up in the mass transit debate too when it comes to gas/oil prices) is that costs of goods/services may go up, like it's some evil plague. You know what causes costs of goods/services to be inflated for the poor? A regressive sales tax, that's what. Get rid of sales tax, then we can talk seriously about "inflated price of goods and services."

If I have to pay a few hundred more bucks a year for groceries so that other people can make a living wage and aren't using my tax dollars for food stamps ? Yeah, I'm good with that.

Comment

And another damn thing...Republicans don't want to raise the minimum wage, yet go off whining all the time about entitlements. You get one or the other.

Comment

What is being passed off as economics education these days is some deeply flawed shit.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                      What is being passed off as economics education these days is some deeply flawed shit.
                      Ok, boomer.

Comment

No economist who isn't bankrolled by some political interest says trickle down economics is anything other than horseshit.

Even Jerome Powell is saying shit like grow the economy and worry about debt later because growing the bottom quartile of the country will boost the economy enough to manage any debt level. He says this because he wasn't an economist lab-grown in the hellpits of the Heritage Foundation but rather an almost accidental appointment as an economist who just studies economics.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

Ok, boomer.
                          Dammit, such a better response.

Comment

It's not like it matters a lot at this point anyway. At the current debt load, the only way out is to devalue the dollar till it pretty much has the value of a peso.

Comment

It's not like it matters a lot at this point anyway. At the current debt load, the only way out is to devalue the dollar till it pretty much has the value of a peso.
                              You getting senile? Bill Clinton and a Republican Congress balanced the budget in like 5 years.

It's possible, though the extremists in the Republican party are making it increasingly difficult.

Comment

You spend in an economic downturn. You save in an economic upswing. If Republicans could ever stop jacking off to tax cuts for the rich in a good economy maybe we’d not be in this position.

It would be fiscally irresponsible to not spend fucktons of money right now to vaccinate and support people right now. It was fiscally irresponsible to give tax cuts to rich people in a time where economic stimulus wasn’t even needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X