Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cooch suggests rewrite of Statue of Liberty

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...inelli-1459824

"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."
    Curious to see if all of the "confederate monuments are history and should be preserved" folks think about the Trump admin scrubbing parts of the Statue of Liberty.

to be fair, no one is changing the statue....we are a country of LEGAL immigrants. Almost all of those streaming into NYC, Baltimore and Philly in the 1850-1920's did it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by DynastyFSU2 View Post
      to be fair, no one is changing the statue....we are a country of LEGAL immigrants. Almost all of those streaming into NYC, Baltimore and Philly in the 1850-1920's did it the right way.
      who fucking looked at papers when the orignal settlers arrived?

Comment

This is like a Boomer telling a Gen Z'er to quit whining about the cost of college. Back in his day, he paid for his tuition with a part-time job at Wendy's and he even had a little left over to put a down payment on a home when he graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post

This is like a Boomer telling a Gen Z'er to quit whining about the cost of college. Back in his day, he paid for his tuition with a part-time job at Wendy's and he even had a little left over to put a down payment on a home when he graduated.
          Except it’s not. The welfare state completely changes the immigration argument.

Comment

I graduated in 2000 with $11,000 in student debt and i still worked a full time job all the way thru college. SO i don't want to hear about how hard it is to afford college. If it is important to you, you will find a way. Just like, if coming to the US is important to you, you should do it the right way.

Comment

This thread is stupid.

Comment

I graduated in 2000 with $11,000 in student debt and i still worked a full time job all the way thru college. SO i don't want to hear about how hard it is to afford college. If it is important to you, you will find a way. Just like, if coming to the US is important to you, you should do it the right way.
                I don’t care so much about the right and wrong of the situation, because that doesn’t really matter to me. What I’m concerned with is the return we’re getting for the billions of dollars we’re spending on these people. If the only benefit to bringing these people in is to provide the upper class with fruit pickers, dish washers, and maids, then I’m not on board. Just like with low wage employees who rely on government benefits to survive, they’re using government money to subsidize their lifestyle and accumulate even more wealth than they already have. That’s not right, and it’s definitely not beneficial to the vast majority of us.

Comment

What was the right way? The US had open borders until 1875 and only regulated East Asian immigration until the 1920s.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Except it’s not. The welfare state completely changes the immigration argument.
                    In what way? If you pay taxes and are legally here, why shouldn't you be able to participate in services?

To me, this is just another escalation on curbing immigration completely and belies all of the BS Trump said about people coming here legally. Well, they came here legally and now Trump wants to kick them out.

Comment

In what way? If you pay taxes and are legally here, why shouldn't you be able to participate in services?

To me, this is just another escalation on curbing immigration completely and belies all of the BS Trump said about people coming here legally. Well, they came here legally and now Trump wants to kick them out.
                      They don’t pay taxes, at least not any more than tourists do. Are we extending our rights and social programs to every international traveler while we’re at it? Because my understanding has always been that social programs were created to benefit citizens of the U.S., not anyone who stumbles across the border and mows a few lawns.

Its a pretty simple equation. We spend billions of dollars every year on social services and benefits for illegal immigrants. Are we getting enough value in return to allow the current trends to continue? I’m not talking about rich people who want cheap maids and gardeners, I’m talking about tax revenue and society as a whole.

Comment

$11,000 in student debt .

You poor thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

You poor thing.
                          When i graduated....i definitely was poor.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

You poor thing.
                            He did say he was working full time. Depending on your living situation/other bills, that’s still quite a bit of debt to graduate with.

Comment

Cuccinelli is a slimy piece of shit. It astounds me it took Trump this long to pick him for a post.

Comment

Working...
                              X