Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two police officers in Georgia are on administrative leave after shooting at five minors during a vehicle stop Saturday morning.

The officers are on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, a news release from Waycross Police said. Waycross is in south Georgia.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/ge...ors/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
      Aurora police apologize after Black children were detained, handcuffed in stolen car mixup
      Video shows a 17-year-old and 12-year-old lying on their stomachs with their hands cuffed behind their backs

As it turns out the same license plate numbers different state and the stolen vehicle was a motorcycle. Great police work from these highly trained officers.
      Even so, how the fuck do you confuse a motorcycle for a car. The description of the stolen vehicle usually includes more than a tag number so...you know...the cips hav an idea of what they're looking for. Either there is A LOT more to this story or the police in Aurora are fucking morons.

Comment

• https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/police...y-deputy-cops/

Police in Reno, Nevada say one of their officers accidentally shot a suspect after getting accidentally Tased by a Washoe County sheriff’s deputy. Officers released body cam footage on Sunday.

Body cam footage–ostensibly from a Washoe County deputy’s point of view–showed that law enforcement official firing his stun gun. He had moved around the suspect and opened fire, but he missed, and struck a Reno police officer in the knee, according to Robinson. That caused the officer to then shoot the suspect in the right shoulder with a firearm, according to this account.
        On the bright side the officer didn't shoot him in the head. Also they are going to look into if it's a crime to accidentally shoot a suspect. My guess is they say it's on him for not cooperating.

Robinson said that the outside agency looking into the officer-involved shooting (in this case, the Sparks Police Department) will determine if criminal charges are appropriate, and will submit their findings to the Washoe County District Attorney’s Office, who will then make and release a public report.

The suspect, who was not named, received a non-life threatening injury, and was released from the hospital. The SPD cited him for reckless driving, and obstructing or resisting officers.

Comment

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/police...y-deputy-cops/

On the bright side the officer didn't shoot him in the head. Also they are going to look into if it's a crime to accidentally shoot a suspect. My guess is they say it's on him for not cooperating.
          I know, lets form a circle around the guy and fire weapons. /r/wcgw

Comment

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/police...y-deputy-cops/

I think you'll find that, as long as the stop and arrest was justified, that no charges will be filed. That's not saying that there won't, or shouldn't, be disciplinary actions and a lawsuit though. It's just hard to charge someone for an accidental shooting. At most, it would be assault with a deadly weapon, but how many times have people on this site bitched about civilians not being charged for injuries caused by NDs. This is really, in the grand scheme of things, no different from any other negligent discharge. As long as procedures were followed and it was a legit stop/arrest, there should be no charges.

Now if this had happened to one of those people in the wrong tag incident mentioned above. Then there had better be charges following.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

I think you'll find that, as long as the stop and arrest was justified, that no charges will be filed. That's not saying that there won't, or shouldn't, be disciplinary actions and a lawsuit though. It's just hard to charge someone for an accidental shooting. At most, it would be assault with a deadly weapon, but how many times have people on this site bitched about civilians not being charged for injuries caused by NDs. This is really, in the grand scheme of things, no different from any other negligent discharge. As long as procedures were followed and it was a legit stop/arrest, there should be no charges.

Now if this had happened to one of those people in the wrong tag incident mentioned above. Then there had better be charges following.
              So if I'm reading this right and please correct me if I'm mistaken. You're saying since the initial traffic stop was justified then there should be no charges against the officer for shooting the guy without cause?

That offends my innate sense of justice. A cop gets stunned gun by a deputy then shoots a civilian. Despite a clear harm (being shot) you are saying nothing criminal happened? What about?

"NRS 202.280 forbids shooting a gun in a public place in Nevada. This is a crime even if nobody sustains injuries from the gunfire.

NRS 202.280 violations are typically prosecuted as Nevada misdemeanors, carrying up to 6 months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.

Peace officers who neglect to arrest people for firing a gun in public can be convicted themselves of a gross misdemeanor in Nevada. The sentence carries:
              • up to 364 days in jail, and/or
              • up to $2,000 in fines"

Comment

So if I'm reading this right and please correct me if I'm mistaken. You're saying since the initial traffic stop was justified then there should be no charges against the officer for shooting the guy without cause?

That offends my innate sense of justice. A cop gets stunned gun by a deputy then shoots a civilian. Despite a clear harm (being shot) you are saying nothing criminal happened? What about?

"NRS 202.280 forbids shooting a gun in a public place in Nevada. This is a crime even if nobody sustains injuries from the gunfire.

NRS 202.280 violations are typically prosecuted as Nevada misdemeanors, carrying up to 6 months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.

Peace officers who neglect to arrest people for firing a gun in public can be convicted themselves of a gross misdemeanor in Nevada. The sentence carries:
                • up to 364 days in jail, and/or
                • up to $2,000 in fines"
                Again, let me clarify. If the stop was justifiable and it was reasonable for him to have drawn his weapon based on the circumstances of the stop. Then this is a negligent discharge case. I don't know the circumstances behind this particular case, I'm just going off of my understanding of the law.

The law you posted is written to prevent shooting a gun in the air for celebrations. It does not address shooting a gun in a public place when you can legally do so. IE: A public gun range is a public place. A negligent discharge at the gun range will get you invited to leave. A negligent discharge that results in an injury, may or may not get you charged. It will definitely get you sued though.

In this case, again, as long as the officer was justified in having his weapon drawn, and being tazed caused the negligent discharge, then it's going to be hard to charge him with a crime. Also, please remember that I have called this a negligent discharge and that I think this officer deserves discipline for his actions. I'm just pointing out in this case I don't think criminal actions are warranted.

Let's look at another example, where criminal charges were filed (and I honestly though the punishment wasn't severe enough), the Fruitvale Subway incident. In that case the officer that fired confused his taser for his service weapon and killed a man. Do I think the officer intended to kill the victim, no. Why was that a crime and this one wasn't. Because the officer didn't follow procedure, along with other reasons, he was charged with a crime. The procedure for tasing someone, in that department (as well as others) is to use only the left hand. This is to reduce the chances of accidentally grabbing and discharging your service weapon instead.

So again, let me reiterate, as long as the officer didn't break procedure and was justified in pulling his weapon, there more than likely will not be charges. That is not saying that the officer is innocent and shouldn't be punished, that is simply stating that he likely will not be charged with a crime.

One other thing, this is a shining example of why the 1st rule of gun safety is so very important. Keep your finger off the trigger until you've identified your target and are ready to fire. Had the officer not had his finger on the trigger, the reaction to getting tazed would not have cause him to have a negligent discharge.

Comment

• When three teens were allegedly threatened by an armed man, the responding officers turned their guns on them, mother says

Black teens who were victims of a knife attack had guns drawn on them by deputies, lawyer says

City calling for investigation into SCV Sheriff’s Station response to incident

The teens, two of them Black, were sitting with their skateboards at a bus stop Friday along Soledad Canyon Road in Santa Clarita when a man approached and asked if they had any crack, Brown said. When they told the man to leave them alone, he pulled out a knife and began thrusting it at them, prompting the teens to raise their skateboards as shields, Brown said.

Multiple people called 911 to report the incident, but when deputies arrived they treated the teens as criminals

In the video, at least three sheriff’s deputies can be seen approaching the bus stop with their guns drawn and pointed at the three teens. They instruct each teen to walk backward toward them; one is made to kneel on the ground. All three teens are handcuffed and put into squad cars.

As a small crowd gathers on the sidewalk, multiple people can be heard shouting, “It was the other guy,” and telling the deputies the suspect had fled down the street. A woman who identifies herself as the manager of a nearby Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant can be heard saying she called 911 to report that the teens were being chased through the restaurant’s parking lot by a man with a knife.

“I told your sergeant who was the problem and what was going on,” she tells the deputies. “For you guys to act this way is ridiculous.”
                  One of the sheriff deputies deployed an AR-15 rifle variant and pointed it at the teens. Presumably them being armed with skateboards justified this? I'm just happy the law officers didn't shoot anyone. By the way the homeless Hispanic man who tried to stab the teens got away while the cops were detaining the skateboarders. So when he stabs someone else we can all be comforted by the fact that the police detained the black teens intead.
                  Last edited by TTURedRaider; 08-19-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• ​​​​​

“OK, he did, he did (strike the cop). **We have body camera video**, surveillance video from the arena that’s very descriptive, and I can adamantly tell you that Mr. Ujiri did strike the deputy sheriff.”

– Alameda County Sgt. Ray Kelly

“(we) **watched a body camera video of the incident** between the deputy and Ujiri and **“fully supports the deputy”** and is recommending the case move to the District Attorney for “criminal charges of misdemeanour battery of a police officer against Ujiri.”

– Alameda County Sheriff Greg Ahern

“...the body camera and the security footage is part of the investigation and is not being released.”

“it was not body-cam video from the officer, but footage from the stadium that captured the blow. The body cam, police said, switched off the instant Mr. Ujiri made contact.”

– “a spokesman” for the force
                    Also, the deputy and his wife sued Uriji in February, alleging that injuries sustained from the shoving match have prevented the deputy from performing his husbandly duties. No, seriously.

That as a substantial result of the harm caused by Defendants MASAI UJIRI,
                    TORONTO RAPTORS, MAPLE LEAF SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT, DOES 1 through 100,
                    inclusive, and each of them, Plaintiff KELLY STRICKLAND is informed and believes, and hereon
                    alleges, that the injuries to her spouse are of a permanent nature, and that she will be deprived of
                    love, companionship, comfort, care, services, assistance, protection, affection, society, and moral
                    support
                    , all to her further damage, and in excess of the minimum jurisdictional limits of this Court,
                    and that she is entitled to prejudgment interest on that amount in accordance with law.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post

​​​​​

Also, the deputy and his wife sued Uriji in February, alleging that injuries sustained from the shoving match have prevented the deputy from performing his husbandly duties. No, seriously.
                      So the deputy shoves him twice for no reason at all...and then claims the retaliatory shove injured him. Fuck that cop, he's the type of cop that feeds into this narrative and makes the situation worse.

While Masai shouldn't have shoved back, I can understand getting heated in that situation and sometimes your temper gets the best of you. I can't really fault him for his actions and the deputy should be counter-sued. The Sheriff also needs to step down for saying what he did. You can't defend your officer in this case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post

​​​​​

All that over some shoves.... What a world that we live in.

Teach your kids to be tough

Comment

• Police in Arizona have released bodycam and CCTV footage showing the arrest of a man who died after he was held by officers on hot tarmac for six minutes in 100-degree heat.

Ramon Timothy Lopez, 28, became unresponsive in the back of a police car following his arrest for allegedly stealing a drink from a shop in the city of Phoenix.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-dies-...nutes-12053541

How dare that man steal a drink. He deserves to be burned to death.

Comment

• Why do cops feel the need to compression choke people by holding them down for minutes even when it's like 3-5 cops? Why not handcuff them and put them in a police vehicle?

Comment

Why do cops feel the need to compression choke people by holding them down for minutes even when it's like 3-5 cops? Why not handcuff them and put them in a police vehicle?
                              Pride. They are personally offended when someone doesn't immediately respect their authority. Normal bully behavior.

Comment

• Detroit police officer shoots and kills dog behind a fence in its own yard.

https://www.news.com.au/world/detroi...36ab8a57b9f614

The Detroit PD just told us, the officer who shot the dog did nothing wrong. They say the cop was looking for a gun an armed suspect had discarded, and was with her police dog that was on a leash. Short story -- the law required the cop to control her dog and stay away from a fence where a dog was legally on the other side -- contained on its property, but she didn't and the dogs began fighting.

The PD says the only way the cop could extricate her dog from the pitbull's mouth was to shoot it. The law couldn't be clearer -- the cop -- who had her dog on a leash -- did not have control of her dog, because she should have kept it away from the fence. And, get this ... the PD is saying the fence was illegally constructed ... as if that mattered.
                                https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/22/detro...dog-attack-k9/
                                Last edited by Spartan; 08-23-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X