Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia offering Taliban bounties to kill Americans

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/u...-bounties.html

American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.
    Huh. Seems like not a very friendly thing to do.

The intelligence finding was briefed to President Trump, and the White House’s National Security Council discussed the problem at an interagency meeting in late March, the officials said. Officials developed a menu of potential options — starting with making a diplomatic complaint to Moscow and a demand that it stop, along with an escalating series of sanctions and other possible responses, but the White House has yet to authorize any step, the officials said.
    Rut roh. Putin has Trump over a barrel and he knows it. This is what happens when we elect a dipshit who is desperate to appease Daddy Putin.

So we have Russians offering bounties on Americans in Afghanistan and China continuing to steal IP from Americans and Trump is doing fuck-all about either because he needs both to be nonissues for his reelection. How fucking wonderful.

Trump should withdraw from Afghanistan during the pandemic - but the fuck can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post
      Trump should withdraw from Afghanistan during the pandemic - but the fuck can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
      I'd like to see him walk down a ramp while drinking a glass of water.

Comment

So Trump is denying having heard about this until just now.

So we had cash-driven targeting of US soldiers by Russians for months (maybe longer) and Trump was never told about this?

Which is worse - Trump didn't know about it because he ignores intelligence reports and prefers to "wing it" or Trump did know about it and still tried sucking Vlad's dick anyway because he has business interests in Moscow? Or a third option where he knew about it but didn't care because he honestly doesn't give a fuck if a few American troops get shot.

Not many good options here.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post
          So Trump is denying having heard about this until just now.

So we had cash-driven targeting of US soldiers by Russians for months (maybe longer) and Trump was never told about this?

Which is worse - Trump didn't know about it because he ignores intelligence reports and prefers to "wing it" or Trump did know about it and still tried sucking Vlad's dick anyway because he has business interests in Moscow? Or a third option where he knew about it but didn't care because he honestly doesn't give a fuck if a few American troops get shot.

Not many good options here.
          Trump was purposely not informed - he lashes out at people who give him bad news. CNN said he was 10pts behind Biden and he sued them.

Comment

Ol Mitt Romney told you dumb ass liberals that Russia was our biggest enemy back in 2008...you all laughed at him and called him crazy, "hey Mitt, the cold war has been over for 20+ years!"

Whoopsie, huh kiddos?

Comment

It is totally plausible that he didn't hear about this during one of his intelligence briefings because he was rage-tweeting about something.

Comment

Originally posted by JTrain View Post
                Ol Mitt Romney told you dumb ass liberals that Russia was our biggest enemy back in 2008...you all laughed at him and called him crazy, "hey Mitt, the cold war has been over for 20+ years!"

Whoopsie, huh kiddos?
                It was 2012 but yes, Mitt was right on Russia. To be fair to Obama, he was dealing with Medvedev for his entire first term and not Putin directly (thought Putin was clearly directing Medvedev).

However, Democrats accusing Trump of being compromised by Putin via his business interests or some favor for election meddling or whatever are being vindicated as well. How many "muh Russia" dismissals have some people on here said in mockery? There were 24 US troops killed in Afghanistan in 2019. How many of those were the result of this program? And still, Trump does nothing.

What are the odds Trump agrees with Putin's denial, disagrees with the UK's confirmation (our allies, supposedly) and does nothing about this? It's pretty much guaranteed, right? At best, he'll offer some pathetic "disappointed" statement and hope it blows over while maybe a few more American soldiers are killed in the coming months.

Comment

Whoopsie, huh kiddos?
                  Romney was the nominee in 2012. In 2012 Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine and weren't a threat to US dominance.
                  Last edited by sctrojan; 06-28-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

It is worth noting that only 1 American soldier has been killed since March in Afghanistan, a notable slowdown after 4 were killed in February alone. So since American intel was made aware of this (to our knowledge) in March, only 1 casualty.

Did we alter our strategy based on this intelligence? And if so, why wasn't the president informed of it? And if the president was informed of it, why are they lying about it?

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post

It was 2012 but yes, Mitt was right on Russia. To be fair to Obama, he was dealing with Medvedev for his entire first term and not Putin directly (thought Putin was clearly directing Medvedev).

However, Democrats accusing Trump of being compromised by Putin via his business interests or some favor for election meddling or whatever are being vindicated as well. How many "muh Russia" dismissals have some people on here said in mockery? There were 24 US troops killed in Afghanistan in 2019. How many of those were the result of this program? And still, Trump does nothing.

What are the odds Trump agrees with Putin's denial, disagrees with the UK's confirmation (our allies, supposedly) and does nothing about this? It's pretty much guaranteed, right? At best, he'll offer some pathetic "disappointed" statement and hope it blows over while maybe a few more American soldiers are killed in the coming months.
                      Bud, you don't have to sell me on Trump being a jackass that needs to go. I've never denied it, always been on board. If its true, this and the white power retweet should be the death blow.

Im simply pointing out that you guys ripped Mitt to shreds over the Russia angle. He was right, liberals and Obama were wrong.

Comment

Bud, you don't have to sell me on Trump being a jackass that needs to go. I've never denied it, always been on board. If its true, this and the white power retweet should be the death blow.

Im simply pointing out that you guys ripped Mitt to shreds over the Russia angle. He was right, liberals and Obama were wrong.
                        Sure. I've never been one to say that Obama was right on everything. I even started a thread a while back apologizing for mischaracterizing Romney. Frankly, I'd be down with Biden naming him Sec of State if he wins the election.

Comment

Romney ran against frikkin Obama. That's like going up against 2004 USC or 2001 Miami - you can't make a case for your team if you're going up against the best

Comment

Updated reporting now suggesting that US intelligence picked this up in January, not March.

So we possibly have US intelligence reporting a bounty program by Russia for Taliban fighters to assassinate US soldiers in January and Trump doing nothing about it?

Comment

Whoopsie, huh kiddos?
                              I’ve said this before, but I was totally wrong about this. Again, I’ll take my L.

I still think China represents the greatest threat to our status as the world’s primary superpower. But Putin is quite clearly playing Trump for the fool he is. Hell... he doesn’t even have to work hard. Trump is now saying it’s bad intel and fake news.

Comment

Working...
                              X