• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deschet
    replied
    Originally posted by DPR View Post

Someone who is in politics.
    Fair. I guess I was going for something else. Like... at this point, what disqualifies one from being a Republican? QAnon conspiracy theorist? Come on in! Ran drugs for a Mexican cartel? Why not become a Senator for Delaware? Support helping poor people? GTFO!

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied
    Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

That's why I want term limits and non-consecutive terms.
    Term limits is the most retarded concept - you are throwing away technical knowledge of how the US Govt works. As bad as McConnell has been for the democrats he's been a superstar for the repubs because he fucking knows how the senate works and has complete knowledge that allowed the repubs to block Judge Garland. A newbie senate leader wouldn't know shit about senate rules.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

I never said it was good. I said Trump is the only POTUS to file so quickly.

You're not going to be able to regulate this. The 1A will allow someone to announce a run whenever they want. I suppose you can change filing deadlines or something, but largely you cannot bar someone from running a campaign without impeachment which is the exception in the Constitution.

If you want a fair trade though, I'll say we bar running for election until 8 months out. That allows time for both a primary and a general. In return, we regulate what the media can do by bringing back the Fairness Doctrine.

Oh, and we should absolutely cut the time between election and taking office down. Maybe move the inaugural up to Jan 3 with the rest of Congress and move the election day back to late November/early December.
    I could get behind that.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied
    Originally posted by Deschet View Post

Alternate Take: What defines a politician at this point?
    Someone who is in politics.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied

They still spend a portion, fairly significant portion of their terms campaigning for re-election. If you can't see why that's bad, then you're beyond help. Would your employer tolerate you sitting in their office for 20 percent of the day trying to negotiate a better contract? If not, then why is it you don't have a problem with campaigning while in office. It's really the same thing.
    I never said it was good. I said Trump is the only POTUS to file so quickly.

You're not going to be able to regulate this. The 1A will allow someone to announce a run whenever they want. I suppose you can change filing deadlines or something, but largely you cannot bar someone from running a campaign without impeachment which is the exception in the Constitution.

If you want a fair trade though, I'll say we bar running for election until 8 months out. That allows time for both a primary and a general. In return, we regulate what the media can do by bringing back the Fairness Doctrine.

Oh, and we should absolutely cut the time between election and taking office down. Maybe move the inaugural up to Jan 3 with the rest of Congress and move the election day back to late November/early December.

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied

Good grief. It's just amazing how people like DSM buy into Trump's bullshit. Trump, the sitting president of the US, is "not a politician". That's some good shit there. And before you say "well he is a businessman" fuck off. Trump has been a politician first for at least 5 years now and arguably has flirted with politics since the early 90s.
    Alternate Take: What defines a politician at this point?

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

Well, they can't actually do special dinners with donors without first filing for reelection otherwise that would be a crime. I'm sure that's probably not an enforced crime, but the point stands.

House members file for reelection immediately because their terms are only 2 years. Senators tend to wait a while since they have 6 year terms.
    They still spend a portion, fairly significant portion of their terms campaigning for re-election. If you can't see why that's bad, then you're beyond help. Would your employer tolerate you sitting in their office for 20 percent of the day trying to negotiate a better contract? If not, then why is it you don't have a problem with campaigning while in office. It's really the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied

You're so fucking retarded dude. It's not just presidents that campaign on re-election. And yes, every president is guilty of it. Trump has been the worst at campaigning while in office, but they all do. Staged photo-ops, special dinners with donors, campaigning for senators and reps, etc... I would rather limit the president to a sibgle 6 year term than 2 4 year terms because that's essentially all the work we get out of them anyway.
    Well, they can't actually do special dinners with donors without first filing for reelection otherwise that would be a crime. I'm sure that's probably not an enforced crime, but the point stands.

House members file for reelection immediately because their terms are only 2 years. Senators tend to wait a while since they have 6 year terms.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

It's not a cycle. Trump is the only one to do this. Obama caught flak for filing for reelection in like early 2011 or something, which was just way too early for conservatives until Trump filed literally the day after taking office in 2017.

I sincerely doubt Biden announces reelection (either doing it or not) until 2023.
    You're so fucking retarded dude. It's not just presidents that campaign on re-election. And yes, every president is guilty of it. Trump has been the worst at campaigning while in office, but they all do. Staged photo-ops, special dinners with donors, campaigning for senators and reps, etc... I would rather limit the president to a sibgle 6 year term than 2 4 year terms because that's essentially all the work we get out of them anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

Good grief. It's just amazing how people like DSM buy into Trump's bullshit. Trump, the sitting president of the US, is "not a politician". That's some good shit there. And before you say "well he is a businessman" fuck off. Trump has been a politician first for at least 5 years now and arguably has flirted with politics since the early 90s.
    Has anything he has done in office which reminded you of a politician? No. He's not a businessman either. He's a bully, plain and simple. A politician at least tries to have the appearance of caring what the people want. Trump has never done that.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied
    Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post

Cutting down the election cycle would go a long way too. It shouldn't take longer than 6 weeks to go from primary to general. Stop this stupid cycle in which a person wins office and starts working on their reelect the day after. It's stupid as hell and ensures that nothing gets done.
    That's why I want term limits and non-consecutive terms.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied

Cutting down the election cycle would go a long way too. It shouldn't take longer than 6 weeks to go from primary to general. Stop this stupid cycle in which a person wins office and starts working on their reelect the day after. It's stupid as hell and ensures that nothing gets done.
    It's not a cycle. Trump is the only one to do this. Obama caught flak for filing for reelection in like early 2011 or something, which was just way too early for conservatives until Trump filed literally the day after taking office in 2017.

I sincerely doubt Biden announces reelection (either doing it or not) until 2023.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied

Are any of those names your "typical lying politician"? Not, they're not, they're so egregious they stand out. Which is similar to Hillary, hence she's worse than your typical lying politician. I did not say she was worse than trump...though technically he's not really a politician. So while he's most definitely a worse human being than her, not sure he's a worse lying politician.

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied

Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied

I fully agree here - limit the election to 6 weeks (like they do in England). Also the day after the election is called the new president is sworn in. The existing admin has 2 weeks to bring the incoming admin up to speed but as the minority (hence any shenanigans can be prosecuted).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X