X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPR
    replied
    Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post

Cut down the election cycle to SIX WEEKS. The less time you have to campaign, the less money it should cost.
    It will be tough to do this because of the 1st amendment. However, the Congress can probably tidy it up a bit by forcing states to adhere to a uniform set of rules.

Primary season cannot start until June. First Tuesday in June is the earliest they can hold a primary. When accounting for early voting and mailed ballots as well as debates and petitions, that means we can make the earliest date to file April 16th, the day after taxes are due. Figure out a way to outlaw campaign spending by anyone who isn't filed to run.

So, in theory, the political season couldn't start until April 16th of that election year. Force presidential primaries to start in June and go into late July and have their conventions in August. Do 3-4 straight Super Tuesdays where 10-12 states/territories vote. You're done in 5-6 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deschet View Post

Theoretically. But yeah... I like this as well. The truth is, any way we can take money out of politics, the better.
    Would you also wish for rainbows and ponies?

Realistically, you can't take out the money out of politics but shortening the campaigns to 3 months will automatically reduce the amount of money spent.

You do need strict campaigning rules. Anybody breaking the 3moth rule is DQ'ed

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

Theoretically. But yeah... I like this as well. The truth is, any way we can take money out of politics, the better.
    That's one thing Brazil actually does right. Though it leads to some really strange campaign ads.

https://youtu.be/lKhj_WJVxRM

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied
    Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post

Cut down the election cycle to SIX WEEKS. The less time you have to campaign, the less money it should cost.

Leave a comment:

• Canedude08
    replied

That’s one way of looking at it. Another way is to look at how much the major campaigns dump into marketing.

You want to fix this mess? Kill off Citizens United. Allow each party running a candidate the same amount of money. Make an even field. Give everyone the same access to exposure.

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied
    Originally posted by BChris View Post

Dude is a real piece of shit.
    Any surprise he's a republican?

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied
    Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

Yes he is.
    Yep. This guy is trash.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

Yes he is.

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied

Yeah.

Leave a comment:

• BChris
    replied
    Originally posted by DPR View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...t/?arc404=true

Cawthorn lied about his friend abandoning him to his "fiery tomb" and luckily bystanders were able to save him, but in fact his friend pulled him out and saved his life.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck? He falsely accused his friend, who pulled him out of the burning car, of abandoning him and credited fake people for saving his life? All to score points that he'd use to win a Congressional seat later on? What an absolute asshole.

Also says he was "left behind" by this country. He is good friends with the son of Mark Meadows, who was an influential member of Congress and later the Chief of Staff to the president. He used that connection to win a seat in Congress through a $500k PAC donation that won him the primary.

Just a liar through his core.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...t/?arc404=true

Cawthorn lied about his friend abandoning him to his "fiery tomb" and luckily bystanders were able to save him, but in fact his friend pulled him out and saved his life.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck? He falsely accused his friend, who pulled him out of the burning car, of abandoning him and credited fake people for saving his life? All to score points that he'd use to win a Congressional seat later on? What an absolute asshole.

Also says he was "left behind" by this country. He is good friends with the son of Mark Meadows, who was an influential member of Congress and later the Chief of Staff to the president. He used that connection to win a seat in Congress through a $500k PAC donation that won him the primary.

Just a liar through his core.

Leave a comment:

• Deschet
    replied

Someone who is in politics.
    Fair. I guess I was going for something else. Like... at this point, what disqualifies one from being a Republican? QAnon conspiracy theorist? Come on in! Ran drugs for a Mexican cartel? Why not become a Senator for Delaware? Support helping poor people? GTFO!

Leave a comment:

• sctrojan
    replied
    Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

That's why I want term limits and non-consecutive terms.
    Term limits is the most retarded concept - you are throwing away technical knowledge of how the US Govt works. As bad as McConnell has been for the democrats he's been a superstar for the repubs because he fucking knows how the senate works and has complete knowledge that allowed the repubs to block Judge Garland. A newbie senate leader wouldn't know shit about senate rules.

Leave a comment:

• DSMoneypit
    replied

I never said it was good. I said Trump is the only POTUS to file so quickly.

You're not going to be able to regulate this. The 1A will allow someone to announce a run whenever they want. I suppose you can change filing deadlines or something, but largely you cannot bar someone from running a campaign without impeachment which is the exception in the Constitution.

If you want a fair trade though, I'll say we bar running for election until 8 months out. That allows time for both a primary and a general. In return, we regulate what the media can do by bringing back the Fairness Doctrine.

Oh, and we should absolutely cut the time between election and taking office down. Maybe move the inaugural up to Jan 3 with the rest of Congress and move the election day back to late November/early December.
    I could get behind that.

Leave a comment:

• DPR
    replied

Alternate Take: What defines a politician at this point?
    Someone who is in politics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X