Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancel Culture is FUCKING STUPID!!!

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Deschet View Post

    I think it’s safe to say that there are those who feel that, when their side is doing the canceling, it’s justified.

    I’ve seen firsthand, how small businesses — restaurants, in particular — have paid a heavy price by mob justice. And, I’m not a fan. But really… if you think about it, this is the danger of apps like Yelp, which can be used as a force of good or bad. Restaurant owners fear bad Yelp reviews like no other, and will literally give dissatisfied patrons anything they want.

    Shit. I’ll give you the game plan. Go into a restaurant, don’t say a thing bad the whole time, and claim you were a victim of _______. There’s a 99% chance you get a free meal out of it, if not more.

    School systems are once again being dragged into the culture wars. In the 90’s, it was evolution and sex-ed. As Christian Conservatives began placing their children into private wackadoo Christian schools — or homeschooling — this gave local school boards a bit of breathing room.

    Over the last five or so years, this has become a battle for History, with both sides more polarized than ever, disagreeing on the facts themselves, as opposed to philosophical differences. And? That’s dangerous. That’s also the MAGA movement in a nutshell. Instead of challenging the facts of how history is taught, or encouraging debate, both sides want it their way.
    Shhh!!!! Let him stay in his echo chamber.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post

      Shhh!!!! Let him stay in his echo chamber.
      LOL how many times have I proven you to be a complete hypocrite here and you are the one talking about echo chambers?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Deschet View Post

        I think it’s safe to say that there are those who feel that, when their side is doing the canceling, it’s justified.

        I’ve seen firsthand, how small businesses — restaurants, in particular — have paid a heavy price by mob justice. And, I’m not a fan. But really… if you think about it, this is the danger of apps like Yelp, which can be used as a force of good or bad. Restaurant owners fear bad Yelp reviews like no other, and will literally give dissatisfied patrons anything they want.

        Shit. I’ll give you the game plan. Go into a restaurant, don’t say a thing bad the whole time, and claim you were a victim of _______. There’s a 99% chance you get a free meal out of it, if not more.

        School systems are once again being dragged into the culture wars. In the 90’s, it was evolution and sex-ed. As Christian Conservatives began placing their children into private wackadoo Christian schools — or homeschooling — this gave local school boards a bit of breathing room.

        Over the last five or so years, this has become a battle for History, with both sides more polarized than ever, disagreeing on the facts themselves, as opposed to philosophical differences. And? That’s dangerous. That’s also the MAGA movement in a nutshell. Instead of challenging the facts of how history is taught, or encouraging debate, both sides want it their way.
        The bigger point I'm making is that this shit, as you say, has been going on for a long time, but only conservatives seem to whine about it when it hurts them. Who is warning about cancel culture? Conservatives. Who uses cancel culture obsessively? Conservatives.

        Liberals use it too, but at least they have the good sense not to whine about it when it goes the other way (aside from me driving the point home here to folks like DSM who only see it from one side).

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DPR View Post

          The bigger point I'm making is that this shit, as you say, has been going on for a long time, but only conservatives seem to whine about it when it hurts them. Who is warning about cancel culture? Conservatives. Who uses cancel culture obsessively? Conservatives.

          Liberals use it too, but at least they have the good sense not to whine about it when it goes the other way (aside from me driving the point home here to folks like DSM who only see it from one side).
          Maybe the Conservatives do whine more these days. CC is certainly invoked more often by conservative media outlets than liberal ones.

          One possible explanation for this is that younger generations (read: more liberal) are far more savvy at social media than older generations. Ergo, they’re just better at cancelling things that run afoul of the way they feel things should be than Conservatives, who struggle with Facebook, let alone the newer platforms.

          So, perhaps it’s more sour grapes. Imagine if the Christian Coalition was social media-savvy. Ugh. They could have done irreparable harm.

          My point? Be glad they’re somewhat limited. And realize the harm progressives have done for the sake of “being right,” as you are bright enough to know that a wrong committed for the right reasons is still a wrong.

          So as to be clear, let me frame this in a different way. One major difference between progressives and conservatives is their views of the purpose of prisons. Specifically, whether they’re designed to punish or rehabilitate.

          While the notion of cancelling a business or entity has cooled off lately, I posit that progressives take an oddly conservative stance of punishment over rehabilitation when it comes to cancel culture. If, as progressives, you believe in rehabilitation, you need to embrace each moment as an opportunity to learn. Destroying people or institutions vis the Vox Vulgus runs afoul of the progressive mission statement.

          To put this more succinctly, it makes you just as bad as those you wish to supplant. Be better. Exposing a problem is one thing. Offering a path to redemption should be offered before you go nuclear.

          Comment


          • ?

            Facebook is dominated by conservative propaganda. I think they are far more media savvy than you want to admit.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DPR View Post
              ?

              Facebook is dominated by conservative propaganda. I think they are far more media savvy than you want to admit.
              I love how the conservatives rail on social media being all liberal but yet they take advantage of it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DPR View Post
                ?

                Facebook is dominated by conservative propaganda. I think they are far more media savvy than you want to admit.
                Yes. I’d posit much of that isn’t coming from conservatives in our country, and with the purpose of sowing the seeds of discord rather than advancing a conservative agenda in any traditional sense.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Deschet View Post

                  Yes. I’d posit much of that isn’t coming from conservatives in our country, and with the purpose of sowing the seeds of discord rather than advancing a conservative agenda in any traditional sense.
                  I mean, some reporting just came out that Boy Kush and Zuck had a dinner in 2019 in which Zuck agreed to let Boy Kush lie with impunity on Facebook during the 2020 campaign and in return, FB would not get regulated as much. Like, I don't know what to tell you, but FB is heavily conservative and a massive echo chamber.

                  Comment


                  • https://twitter.com/DaveSomers/statu...06086645682176

                    Some casual threats to a school board by a mob to change their agenda. Geez guys, who wants to pull up the definition?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DPR View Post
                      https://twitter.com/DaveSomers/statu...06086645682176

                      Some casual threats to a school board by a mob to change their agenda. Geez guys, who wants to pull up the definition?
                      I know which one likes MTG the most.

                      Comment


                      • https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/10/u...es-matter.html

                        Black superintendent is forced out after showing support for Black Lives Matter in a rural Maryland school district.

                        Michael D. McFarland, president of the National Alliance of Black School Educators, said that many African American school administrators are already unfairly branded as activists, and scrutinized for any perceived misstep.

                        Particularly in majority-white communities, Dr. McFarland said, “it’s harder for you to do the work that you were hired to do” as a superintendent, “let alone take stances on equity and social justice issues.”

                        “To take those stances comes at an enormous cost,” he added.

                        Dr. Kane thought long and hard about the cost of staying silent.
                        This is happening across the country. Bizarre that DSM is so quiet about this very obvious form of cancel culture.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by DPR View Post
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/10/u...es-matter.html

                          Black superintendent is forced out after showing support for Black Lives Matter in a rural Maryland school district.



                          This is happening across the country. Bizarre that DSM is so quiet about this very obvious form of cancel culture.
                          For clarity, how would you classify the organization known as BLM?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by daCat View Post

                            For clarity, how would you classify the organization known as BLM?
                            Black people protesting police brutality.


                            How would you define the 1/6 "protestors"? People protesting election brutality by democrats?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by daCat View Post

                              For clarity, how would you classify the organization known as BLM?
                              The only organization known as BLM is the Bureau of Land Management. They do a pretty good job, though they should have went harder after the Bundy terrorists.

                              If you are talking about the loose collective of people forming a movement known as Black Lives Matter, I would say that their root mission of stopping police brutality is a good one. What do you think about it?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DPR View Post

                                The only organization known as BLM is the Bureau of Land Management. They do a pretty good job, though they should have went harder after the Bundy terrorists.

                                If you are talking about the loose collective of people forming a movement known as Black Lives Matter, I would say that their root mission of stopping police brutality is a good one. What do you think about it?
                                He wants you to say domestic terrorists. Just FYI.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X