Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

El Paso Residents Dispute Trump's Claim That Border Barrier Made City Safer

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by daCat View Post

    I guess you missed that whole "based on stats from the FBI" thing.
    But... Trump people don’t trust the FBI?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BChris View Post

      Had to go back and see which one you were cherry picking. Obviously not the first one.

      MONICA ORTIZ URIBE, BYLINE: El Paso's Republican mayor tweeted that the city was never among America's most dangerous places. The local sheriff called Trump's attempt to justify a border wall sad. And El Paso's freshman congresswoman, Veronica Escobar, told C-SPAN that the president had lied.
      But it's so much easier for daCat to dismiss her as the founder for the Women's March in her city.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BChris View Post

        Had to go back and see which one you were cherry picking. Obviously not the first one.

        MONICA ORTIZ URIBE, BYLINE: El Paso's Republican mayor tweeted that the city was never among America's most dangerous places. The local sheriff called Trump's attempt to justify a border wall sad. And El Paso's freshman congresswoman, Veronica Escobar, told C-SPAN that the president had lied.
        Oh, you mean Trump exaggerated? Color me shocked. But the point is, according to the FBI, the wall reduced the crime rate. That article tries to obfuscate the truth.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by daCat View Post

          Oh, you mean Trump exaggerated? Color me shocked. But the point is, according to the FBI, the wall reduced the crime rate. That article tries to obfuscate the truth.

          So basically you are fine with Americans getting gunned down by native born criminals - but god forbid if an illegal immigrant bought a gun legally and killed an American citizen. Am I right?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by DPR View Post

            But it's so much easier for daCat to dismiss her as the founder for the Women's March in her city.
            I used those two articles for a reason. I got what I expected.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BChris View Post

              I used those two articles for a reason. I got what I expected.
              I thought you didn't troll. You just claimed that in another thread here somewhere.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by daCat View Post

                I thought you didn't troll. You just claimed that in another thread here somewhere.
                Actually, I believe what I said is that I troll the trolls.

                Comment


                • #23
                  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8776866.html

                  The senior Trump administration official tweeted: “El Chapo’s reign of terror is over. He’ll spend the rest of his life in a maximum security prison. The threat from violent drug cartels is real – we must secure our border.”

                  Yet some commentators ridiculed her attempt to connect the court case with the border wall issue, pointing out Guzman constructed underground tunnels and flew drugs into the US – methods a wall would do nothing to stop.

                  Dur Derp

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
                    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8776866.html

                    The senior Trump administration official tweeted: “El Chapo’s reign of terror is over. He’ll spend the rest of his life in a maximum security prison. The threat from violent drug cartels is real – we must secure our border.”

                    Yet some commentators ridiculed her attempt to connect the court case with the border wall issue, pointing out Guzman constructed underground tunnels and flew drugs into the US – methods a wall would do nothing to stop.

                    Dur Derp
                    Several people testified during this trial that they primarily use legal ports of entry.. They don't even use the tunnels as much as they use to. A wall will have little to no impact on drugs coming across the border.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Sarah Sanders also said today that it was absurd to think that Trump ever encouraged violence at his rallies. Except he has done that. A lot.

                      This is the thing that makes me actually fucking hate Trump and the people supporting him. They trot Baghdad Sarah out to gaslight us every day from the pulpit of the White House. And we have to just sit here and deal with it or tune it out and let them continue abusing the government.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
                        https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8776866.html

                        The senior Trump administration official tweeted: “El Chapo’s reign of terror is over. He’ll spend the rest of his life in a maximum security prison. The threat from violent drug cartels is real – we must secure our border.”

                        Yet some commentators ridiculed her attempt to connect the court case with the border wall issue, pointing out Guzman constructed underground tunnels and flew drugs into the US – methods a wall would do nothing to stop.

                        Dur Derp
                        Are you suggesting no drugs come in over land? Ignoring part of the problem won't fix the problem.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by daCat View Post

                          Are you suggesting no drugs come in over land? Ignoring part of the problem won't fix the problem.
                          I'm not against a wall, but I want more than an old fat man to yell "build a wall" to determine whether that is the best course of action.

                          If someone has access to the Engineering reports or the ROI write ups from a BA please post them.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by daCat View Post

                            Are you suggesting no drugs come in over land? Ignoring part of the problem won't fix the problem.
                            You'd make a shitty surgeon.

                            "He's got 8 bullet wounds in his chest and 1 in his hand."

                            "Okay, let's start on his hand first."

                            "But doctor...."

                            "No buts! Ignoring part of the problem won't fix the problem."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I'll look for the most current numbers.

                              Here’s what we know about drug seizures, based on CBP data over the last six years, and the most common way the drugs cross the border, based on the 2015 DEA report:
                              • Methamphetamine, up 347 percent: In fiscal 2016, border patrol agents seized 8,215 pounds of methamphetamine — up from 1,838 pounds in fiscal 2011. The DEA says, “Traffickers most commonly transport methamphetamine in tractor trailers and passenger vehicles with hidden compartments. In addition, traffickers send methamphetamine through various mail services or by couriers traveling via bus or commercial airline.”
                              • Heroin, up 45 percent: The amount of heroin seized at the border has increased from 6,191 pounds in fiscal 2011 to 8,961 pounds in fiscal 2016. The DEA says, “Most heroin smuggled across the border is transported in privately-owned vehicles, usually through California, as well as through south Texas.”
                              • Cocaine, down 52 percent: About 4,183 pounds of cocaine was seized at the border in fiscal 2016 — down from 8,763 pounds in fiscal 2011. “Tractor trailers and passenger vehicles are frequently used to transport multi-kilogram quantities of cocaine,” the DEA says. “Cocaine is hidden amongst legitimate cargo or secreted inside of intricate hidden compartments built within passenger vehicles.”
                              • Marijuana, down 49 percent: The amount of marijuana seized has dropped 49 percent since fiscal 2011. The DEA says “large quantities of marijuana” are smuggled “through subterranean tunnels.”

                              John Kelly, the former Department of Homeland Security secretary who is now Trump’s chief of staff, acknowledged at a congressional hearing in April that illegal drugs from Mexico “mostly come through the ports of entry.”

                              Also,

                              https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/2591279002/

                              But an analysis of data from the southern border indicates that the vast majority of narcotics enters through U.S. ports of entry, not the wide swaths of border in between where additional barriers could be erected.

                              According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics, 90 percent of heroin seized along the border, 88 percent of cocaine, 87 percent of methamphetamine, and 80 percent of fentanyl in the first 11 months of the 2018 fiscal year was caught trying to be smuggled in at legal crossing points.

                              While those numbers deal only with drugs that are caught, border experts say the data accurately reflect the way drug cartels successfully smuggle narcotics into the country.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Nah, most drugs are smuggled via dude with backpack crossing the desert.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X