Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Trump use Coronavirus to delay/cancel the election?

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will Trump use Coronavirus to delay/cancel the election?

    Legitimate question.

  • #2
    He’s going to be locked in the White House with nothing but time to foster odd conspiracy shit from people that have his number. I think he’ll try to pull some Putin thing and name himself supreme leader in a time of crisis and try to extend his presidency for two years or something.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post
      Legitimate question.
      Yes he's canceling the 2020 elections as well as the census.
      Last edited by sctrojan; 03-22-2020, 05:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        He isn't. This country has conducted elections during wartime, during pandemics(1918 midterms took place during Spanish Flu epidemic, and coming right off end of WWI). There's no excuse to delay this election, especially when you can easily do mail in, when you can easily do other things to limit exposure. Frankly, if this isn't under control by then, I'd be extremely shocked.

        Comment


        • #5
          The short answer is that he doesn't have the power to do that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post
            He isn't. This country has conducted elections during wartime, during pandemics(1918 midterms took place during Spanish Flu epidemic, and coming right off end of WWI). There's no excuse to delay this election, especially when you can easily do mail in, when you can easily do other things to limit exposure. Frankly, if this isn't under control by then, I'd be extremely shocked.
            So how do homeless people vote if they don't have a permanent address?

            Comment


            • #7

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

                So how do homeless people vote if they don't have a permanent address?
                Most homeless people don't vote, because most of them have more pressing concerns than VOTING. How many homeless people carry identification? That would be a limitation to voting anyway. That has been the case for decades, if not centuries. Why am I not shocked that you would ask such a dumbass question?

                It is possible to have a temporary address and then register to vote from there(IE people using their parent's address while they are in between addresses as a mailing address). People forget that in most cases, no one is checking addresses for accuracy.

                The point of the matter is that Trump doesn't have the power to suspend elections.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nash View Post
                  The short answer is that he doesn't have the power to do that.
                  This. Elections are conducted by states and the presidential election is constitutionally mandated. If an election doesn't occur in November for whatever reason, then Trump's term will officially expire on January 20, 2021. Same with Pence. Same with all 435 members of the House. And since more Republicans are on the ticket than Democrats this November, with no elections occurring the remaining Senate will be led by Democrats. And the president pro tempore would be Patrick Leahy (assuming he's alive).

                  Which means that if the November elections are canceled, Patrick Leahy will be president on January 21, 2021.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So wait a second, let me get this straight.

                    At first, Trump was saying this shit was no big deal and people shouldn’t worry about it. That was wrong and he was evil, so he started going along with the media’s LARP and crashed the economy to pacify you guys. Now that he’s doing exactly what you asked him to, you’re accusing him of using a situation that the media and your side in general blew way the fuck out of proportion to suspend elections?

                    Someone really needs to start cataloguing and reposting all of the Trump conspiracy theories that get floated on here every time one of these threads come up, because you guys have an absolutely TERRIBLE track record of predicting how things will play out.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
                      So wait a second, let me get this straight.

                      At first, Trump was saying this shit was no big deal and people shouldn’t worry about it. That was wrong and he was evil, so he started going along with the media’s LARP and crashed the economy to pacify you guys. Now that he’s doing exactly what you asked him to, you’re accusing him of using a situation that the media and your side in general blew way the fuck out of proportion to suspend elections?

                      Someone really needs to start cataloguing and reposting all of the Trump conspiracy theories that get floated on here every time one of these threads come up, because you guys have an absolutely TERRIBLE track record of predicting how things will play out.
                      It's really not that hard. He denied it until he couldn't, then reluctantly went along with experts. Now he's bucking them because he thinks it might hurt his own financials and reelection prospects.

                      As for the election, Trump has threatened to cancel/postpone elections since 2015. I have no idea if he is serious or not, but he's been beating that drum for 5 years.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DPR View Post

                        It's really not that hard. He denied it until he couldn't, then reluctantly went along with experts. Now he's bucking them because he thinks it might hurt his own financials and reelection prospects.

                        As for the election, Trump has threatened to cancel/postpone elections since 2015. I have no idea if he is serious or not, but he's been beating that drum for 5 years.
                        Yeah, if you believe what his motives are is whatever casts him in the worst light possible. I can say my neighbor is okay with the quarantine because he wants to fuck his kids in peace if I assume he’s a child molester, that doesn’t make the claim legitimate. Point is, this baked in presumption that whatever Trump is in favor of is inherently evil and self serving by default is straight up insanity.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If Trump plays this right - he'll get the economy humming again by Easter and then by October it will be flu season again so hopefully CV19 should make a comeback and boom! elections suspended.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                            Yeah, if you believe what his motives are is whatever casts him in the worst light possible. I can say my neighbor is okay with the quarantine because he wants to fuck his kids in peace if I assume he’s a child molester, that doesn’t make the claim legitimate.
                            LOL. Trump has, at every chance given, stated he'd cancel an election and declare himself the winner since ~2015. He tried getting people to revolt in 2012 when Romney lost.

                            Creating some idiotic straw man to deflect from that is weak. Both you and I know that he would, if he could do it, cancel the November elections. 100% there isn't a doubt in my mind. Luckily, he can't.

                            You have a tendency to play the "anything Trump said that is bad he was joking, anything good and he was serious" card and it's pretty obvious at this point.

                            Point is, this baked in presumption that whatever Trump is in favor of is inherently evil and self serving by default is straight up insanity.
                            Actually no. Give me an example in his 74 years of life where Trump has truly done something altruistic and selfless. Keep in mind, this is a guy who got mad at his son Eric when he found out a St Jude's charity golf tournament wasn't paying full green fees at his Bedminster golf course. He later made sure they were billed. This was only a few grand that he personally made sure he got from a charity event for kids with cancer. Trump himself has rarely given to any charity and used his own charity as a personal slush fund to buy paintings of himself.

                            When someone tells you who they are for 74 years, believe them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
                              So wait a second, let me get this straight.

                              At first, Trump was saying this shit was no big deal and people shouldn’t worry about it. That was wrong and he was evil, so he started going along with the media’s LARP and crashed the economy to pacify you guys. Now that he’s doing exactly what you asked him to, you’re accusing him of using a situation that the media and your side in general blew way the fuck out of proportion to suspend elections?

                              Someone really needs to start cataloguing and reposting all of the Trump conspiracy theories that get floated on here every time one of these threads come up, because you guys have an absolutely TERRIBLE track record of predicting how things will play out.
                              2 Things.

                              First and foremost, it's because he's made it about himself and politics and failed to help with medical demands, especially where they are needed most. He's still failing in that regard.

                              Secondly, his decision to not take it seriously and ignore doctors and the CDC throughout has cost us trillions of dollars and cost likely 10's of thousands of lives. IF he'd been on top of it from the beginning(see Japan/Korea), we'd have less than 10,000 cases and long term much less economic shutdown.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X