Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are smart people so dumb sometimes? (facebook meme rant)

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are smart people so dumb sometimes? (facebook meme rant)

Friend of mine who is a huge Trump supporter posted this today to point out that "there's no such thing as a free lunch"

Now let's break it down.

1.) That's not how taxes work. Even if the information was correct, the 52% tax would be on the money made OVER $29k, not the full amount
    2.) Even if THAT was correct, you're still walking away with the same hourly wage as the current federal minimum wage but with taxes and healthcare already paid for
    3.) A two second google search shows you definitively that this is not Bernie's plan. His 52% rate is for money made OVER $10m/year.

Yet, he and other smart people are posting and commenting on it as if it is the bombshell to shut down Bernie and M4A. I mean for fuck's sake people....

Medicare for All is a dumb. These people are dumb. Bernie is dumb.

If you really want to attack Bernie's policies you start by stating that he wants to eliminate all billionaires, but his policies are dependent upon the existence of billionaires to sustain themselves.

I read shit like this all the time and wonder how these people managed to reach breeding age.

Comment

Originally posted by ibleed View Post
      Medicare for All is a dumb. These people are dumb. Bernie is dumb.

If you really want to attack Bernie's policies you start by stating that he wants to eliminate all billionaires, but his policies are dependent upon the existence of billionaires to sustain themselves.

I read shit like this all the time and wonder how these people managed to reach breeding age.
      That's my point. There is plenty to attack Bernie on. This kind of shit is just stupid.

But I guess it's effective.

Comment

Yep. I've seen that one. If I bother to respond to any political copy/paste memes like that, it's usually "FAKE NEWS!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post
          Yep. I've seen that one. If I bother to respond to any political copy/paste memes like that, it's usually "FAKE NEWS!"
          That's how it started. But now I'm having to explain that universal health care wouldn't result in our population declining due to a run on free abortions....

I know, I know. I should know better.

In retrospect, I should have just trolled them and said we can replace all the aborted babies with mexican immigrants once we open the boarders and then deleted my account and thrown my computer into the ocean.

Comment

My take away from this thread is I hate people.

Comment

The reason why you’re having trouble with this is because you’re operating under the assumption that these people are smart, and they’re almost certainly not. There’s a lot of idiots who, through sheer force of will and rote memorization, manage to accomplish quite a bit in life. Obtain advanced degrees, work in highly technical fields, so on and so forth.

I’d also like to refer you to that old George Carlin bit: Think of how stupid the average person is, now realize that half of them are stupider than that.
              Last edited by tOSUfanboi2; 02-21-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
                My take away from this thread is I hate people.
                tBG, is that you!

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
                  The reason why you’re having trouble with this is because you’re operating under the assumption that these people are smart, and they’re almost certainly not. There’s a lot of idiots who, through sheer force of will and rote memorization, manage to accomplish quite a bit in life. Obtain advanced degrees, work in highly technical fields, so on and so forth.

I’d also like to refer you to that old George Carlin bit: Think of stupid the average person is, now realize that half of them are stupider than that.

Most people lack critical thinking skills. It’s very frustrating. I don’t care that much if someone disagrees with me even on things I care a lot about, as long as their logic makes sense. It’s when someone go full Dynasty or Trojan that pisses me off.

Comment

I haven't gone on FB in a while. In 2016 I had a former roommate from college posting shit about Trump's tax plan and how he'd save $10k or so a year. This was when Trump had one of his iterations that basically would have bankrupted us in 6 months. Of course, that tax bill never passed and never had a chance of ever becoming reality, but it didn't stop him from pretending like he'd save so much money and no other bad things would happen, like the rapid decay of society which would lose him his stupid manufacturing job.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post

Most people lack critical thinking skills. It’s very frustrating. I don’t care that much if someone disagrees with me even on things I care a lot about, as long as their logic makes sense. It’s when someone go full Dynasty or Trojan that pisses me off.
                      You’re reacting wrong, bruh.

See, living where I have for the past handful of years, I run into quite a few fucking idiots. Not surprising, I know, but it’s given
                      me a unique perspective on how to handle them, and I’ve come up with a wide variety of strategies. My personal favorite is agree and amplify, which is where you sarcastically co-sign their bullshit until you reach a point of complete absurdity and force them to rethink their position. It’s fun.

Comment

I don't get why people are all for Sanders. Isn't the goal of the Dems to nominate someone that would beat Trump? Isn't it almost guaranteed that if Sanders is the nomination, Trump wins re-election?

Comment

See, living where I have for the past handful of years, I run into quite a few fucking idiots. Not surprising, I know, but it’s given
                          me a unique perspective on how to handle them, and I’ve come up with a wide variety of strategies. My personal favorite is agree and amplify, which is where you sarcastically co-sign their bullshit until you reach a point of complete absurdity and force them to rethink their position. It’s fun.

You’re a better person than me. I just nod and internalize how stupid I think they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat View Post
                            I don't get why people are all for Sanders. Isn't the goal of the Dems to nominate someone that would beat Trump? Isn't it almost guaranteed that if Sanders is the nomination, Trump wins re-election?

No

Comment

I can't do this. I did it once as a complete joke to my BIL and it backfired and now I know he's a huge anti-Semite.

Comment

Working...
                              X