Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mulvaney - GOP "evolving" on deficit growth

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mulvaney - GOP "evolving" on deficit growth

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cfb_story.html

    “My party is very interested in deficits when there is a Democrat in the White House. The worst thing in the whole world is deficits when Barack Obama was the president. Then Donald Trump became president, and we’re a lot less interested as a party,” Mulvaney said at the Oxford Union to a group of several hundred people.

    Republicans, he said, were “evolving” since Trump became president.
    Good thing Mulvaney isn't in charge of anything seriously budget related.

    Mulvaney, who ran the Office of Management and Budget before taking the active chief of staff role
    Oh

  • #2
    Everyone remember all of those threads from the board leftists when Obama was president about how big a problem the deficit was?

    Oh

    Both sides do it, and nobody actually cares because they haven’t been given any reason to. For all intents and purposes, the entire western world is swimming in debt largely due to inefficient and poorly managed social programs, but good luck cutting any of that shit or downsizing the U.S.’s world conquest tier military.

    Comment


    • #3
      Trump - inherited $665 billion deficit, grew it to $1,101 billion.

      Obama - inherited $1,413 billion deficit, shrunk it to $665 billion.

      W - inherited $128 billion surplus, turned it into $1,413 deficit.

      Clinton - inherited $255 billion deficit, turned it into $128 billion surplus.

      HW - inherited $153 billion deficit, grew it to $255 billion.

      Reagan - inherited $79 billion deficit, grew it to $153 billion.

      Carter - inherited $54 billion deficit, grew it to $79 billion.

      Nixon/Ford - inherited $3 billion surplus, turned it into $54 billion deficit.

      JFK/LBJ - inheritied $3 billion deficit, turned it into $3 billion surplus.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
        Everyone remember all of those threads from the board leftists when Obama was president about how big a problem the deficit was?
        The deficit was shrinking under Obama and we all understood Keynesian economics that deficit spending was beneficial during recessions.

        Both sides do it, and nobody actually cares because they haven’t been given any reason to. For all intents and purposes, the entire western world is swimming in debt largely due to inefficient and poorly managed social programs, but good luck cutting any of that shit or downsizing the U.S.’s world conquest tier military.
        I posted each administration above. Republicans clearly do it more than Democrats. With the exception of Carter, every Democratic administration has shrunk or eliminated the deficit and every Republican one has increased it. But more importantly, Democrats don't scream and bitch about the deficit. Republicans do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DPR View Post
          Trump - inherited $665 billion deficit, grew it to $1,101 billion.

          Obama - inherited $1,413 billion deficit, shrunk it to $665 billion.

          W - inherited $128 billion surplus, turned it into $1,413 deficit.

          Clinton - inherited $255 billion deficit, turned it into $128 billion surplus.

          HW - inherited $153 billion deficit, grew it to $255 billion.

          Reagan - inherited $79 billion deficit, grew it to $153 billion.

          Carter - inherited $54 billion deficit, grew it to $79 billion.

          Nixon/Ford - inherited $3 billion surplus, turned it into $54 billion deficit.

          JFK/LBJ - inheritied $3 billion deficit, turned it into $3 billion surplus.
          Nothing like removing all historical context and looking at extremely complex things in a vacuum.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

            Nothing like removing all historical context and looking at extremely complex things in a vacuum.
            Like crediting Trump with the economy?

            The deficit is entirely within the realm of the administration with some help from Congress. Republicans openly admit they don't care about it when they are in the White House but then shriek about it when a Democrat is in charge.

            Trump could easily cut the deficit down to $200 billion or less. All it takes is him cutting back wasteful spending (DoD, DHS, golfing) and raising taxes. But he won't do that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DPR View Post

              The deficit was shrinking under Obama and we all understood Keynesian economics that deficit spending was beneficial during recessions.



              I posted each administration above. Republicans clearly do it more than Democrats. With the exception of Carter, every Democratic administration has shrunk or eliminated the deficit and every Republican one has increased it. But more importantly, Democrats don't scream and bitch about the deficit. Republicans do.
              LMFAO

              We’re done here. I don’t know who you’re paying for your education, but you should ask for a refund.

              Comment


              • #8
                https://www.npr.org/2011/06/07/13700...-bush-tax-cuts

                "We recognize, loud and clear, the surplus is not the government's money," he said. "The surplus is the people's money. And we ought to trust them with their own money."

                It's been a long time since anyone has talked about a government surplus in Washington, D.C.

                Maya MacGuineas, who heads the Center for a Responsible Federal Budget, says within a year of that 2001 tax cut, the federal government was back to borrowing money, and it's been running in the red ever since.
                Tell me about this nuance, Hookems. Bush specifically targeted the surplus as a bad thing and made sure we went back into the red within a year of taking office.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                  LMFAO

                  We’re done here. I don’t know who you’re paying for your education, but you should ask for a refund.
                  Why yes, let's mock the very thing that helped turn us back from a major depression. Good work there champ.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DPR View Post

                    Like crediting Trump with the economy?

                    The deficit is entirely within the realm of the administration with some help from Congress. Republicans openly admit they don't care about it when they are in the White House but then shriek about it when a Democrat is in charge.

                    Trump could easily cut the deficit down to $200 billion or less. All it takes is him cutting back wasteful spending (DoD, DHS, golfing) and raising taxes. But he won't do that.
                    Which I’ve never done, unless you count pointing out that it didn’t collapse and has done well despite every retard and their brother claiming the opposite would happen. I guess it’s not surprising though, considering you seem to think the president has a much larger impact than they actually do. Don’t feel bad though, it’s not an uncommon perspective among partisan hacks that refuse to look at economics beyond talking points that they think sound good.

                    Yeah, so easy. Seriously, have you ever studied economics? Like at all? You can’t tinker with the market to your hearts content by choking out contractors and raising taxes and not pay the price for it. Thinking like this is what slowed our recovery after the financial crisis and is precisely why nobody outside of academic circle jerks takes the shit Democrats say seriously when it comes to economics.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DPR View Post

                      Why yes, let's mock the very thing that helped turn us back from a major depression. Good work there champ.
                      I bet you think the new deal is what ended the Great Depression, don’t you? Not the complete devastation of the industrial capacity of almost the entire developed world outside of the U.S., forcing dependence on us. Nope, it was 100% dear leader FDR and his big spending that actually made the Great Depression worse before suddenly paying dividends when we were the only game in town and the rest of the world was on life support.

                      Seriously, the stories partisans tell themselves are truly baffling.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DPR View Post
                        https://www.npr.org/2011/06/07/13700...-bush-tax-cuts



                        Tell me about this nuance, Hookems. Bush specifically targeted the surplus as a bad thing and made sure we went back into the red within a year of taking office.
                        Surpluses are bad, first of all.

                        Second of all, W was a retarded and I’ve stated at least 500 times on here that he’s the worst president of my lifetime, possibly ever. Not sure why you’re expecting me to defend him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                          Which I’ve never done, unless you count pointing out that it didn’t collapse and has done well despite every retard and their brother claiming the opposite would happen. I guess it’s not surprising though, considering you seem to think the president has a much larger impact than they actually do. Don’t feel bad though, it’s not an uncommon perspective among partisan hacks that refuse to look at economics beyond talking points that they think sound good.
                          I don't think I've ever stated that the president has a major impact on the economy. The only exceptions are during recessions when government stimulus can help the economy recover.

                          Yeah, so easy. Seriously, have you ever studied economics? Like at all? You can’t tinker with the market to your hearts content by choking out contractors and raising taxes and not pay the price for it. Thinking like this is what slowed our recovery after the financial crisis and is precisely why nobody outside of academic circle jerks takes the shit Democrats say seriously when it comes to economics.
                          Are you serious here? Republicans took back the House in 2010 and proceeded to shriek about the deficit and pushed us into multiple shutdowns and a default on our debt vs compromising and working with Obama. They viewed a $1 trillion deficit during a recession as an abomination. But now, when we don't need to run a deficit, they are running a $1.1 trillion deficit and say it's totally cool.

                          If they let Obama run a higher deficit from 11-13 the recovery is faster.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh boy, Hookems is being dumber in this thread than he was in the landmine thread.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DPR View Post

                              I don't think I've ever stated that the president has a major impact on the economy. The only exceptions are during recessions when government stimulus can help the economy recover.



                              Are you serious here? Republicans took back the House in 2010 and proceeded to shriek about the deficit and pushed us into multiple shutdowns and a default on our debt vs compromising and working with Obama. They viewed a $1 trillion deficit during a recession as an abomination. But now, when we don't need to run a deficit, they are running a $1.1 trillion deficit and say it's totally cool.

                              If they let Obama run a higher deficit from 11-13 the recovery is faster.
                              The government can’t help the economy recover via spending, the best they can do is soften the blow for citizens so they can help the economy recover on its own. Government intervention is only necessary to the extent that it facilitates the warehousing of labor/keeps people afloat long enough to rebuild. At least, that’s my perspective and that of a lot of people. Opinions vary, but considering how much government money seems to vanish before ever making it into the hands of the average person in the form of jobs or benefits, I think my perspective is understandable.

                              Yeah, they played politics, because they’re fuck tards. I don’t know why you think Republicans being shitty excuses Democrats being shitty, but it really doesn’t. Both sides ignore all of the information they don’t like in favor of what they do, and celebrate the economy when they’re in power and trash it when they’re not. The only notable exception to this is Obama, who to his credit refused to play that game. I admire him for that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X