Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas asks Supreme Court to repeal California's multistate travel ban

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Texas asks Supreme Court to repeal California's multistate travel ban

    Texas filed a lawsuit Tuesday asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a California law prohibiting state employees from attending taxpayer-funded business trips to conferences in the Lone Star State.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ate-travel-ban

    States' rights?

  • #2
    Whats the issue here?

    Dispute between the states. Take it to court. Pretty states' rightsy to me.

    Theres a difference between a state arguing with another state, and a state arguing against the federal government.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ibleed View Post
      Whats the issue here?

      Dispute between the states. Take it to court. Pretty states' rightsy to me.

      Theres a difference between a state arguing with another state, and a state arguing against the federal government.
      Texas is entitled to Texas laws. California is entitled to California laws. So long as individuals aren't harmed and federal laws aren't broken, the federal government has no business being involved.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Spartan View Post

        Texas is entitled to Texas laws. California is entitled to California laws. So long as individuals aren't harmed and federal laws aren't broken, the federal government has no business being involved.
        Texas is arguing that Texas is being harmed. So they sue.

        This happens all the time. And when it does, SCOTUS is the venue.

        Nebraska and Oklahoma sued Colorado over issues related to marijuana legalization a couple years ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          What’s the purpose of this law, anyway? I’m having a hard time figuring it out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ibleed View Post

            Texas is arguing that Texas is being harmed. So they sue.

            This happens all the time. And when it does, SCOTUS is the venue.

            Nebraska and Oklahoma sued Colorado over issues related to marijuana legalization a couple years ago.
            I love when ibleed pretends like he's an expert on interstate commerce law.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DPR View Post

              I love when ibleed pretends like he's an expert on interstate commerce law.
              He didn’t say anything wrong that I can see. States do have beef with one another and it is handled at the federal level. Still trying to figure out what the purpose of this law is though. Were CA public officials flying to Texas and using tax payer money to buy guns and pussy or something?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                He didn’t say anything wrong that I can see. States do have beef with one another and it is handled at the federal level. Still trying to figure out what the purpose of this law is though. Were CA public officials flying to Texas and using tax payer money to buy guns and pussy or something?
                California banned travel using taxpayer dollars to states that they deem to be hostile to LGBTQ rights. I'm not sure if that means the UCLA basketball team can't play at Texas or what, but it was their way of pressuring those states to get with the times.

                It's all about the bible thumpers religious liberty to be bigoted against minority groups they don't like. I have no idea if SCOTUS will rule in their favor. I guess it depends on the argument they put forward.

                Comment


                • #9
                  https://www.politico.com/states/cali...travel-1260126

                  Upon further review, this does apply to public school athletes, who now have to fund raise if they want to compete in the states on the list. I dunno, it's kind of a dumb rule by California. But so are laws enacted by Texas and other states that protect the religious liberty to discriminate against gay people.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DPR View Post

                    California banned travel using taxpayer dollars to states that they deem to be hostile to LGBTQ rights. I'm not sure if that means the UCLA basketball team can't play at Texas or what, but it was their way of pressuring those states to get with the times.

                    It's all about the bible thumpers religious liberty to be bigoted against minority groups they don't like. I have no idea if SCOTUS will rule in their favor. I guess it depends on the argument they put forward.
                    So they’re trying to blacklist people who disagree with them politically using taxpayer money. Yeah, no.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DPR View Post
                      https://www.politico.com/states/cali...travel-1260126

                      Upon further review, this does apply to public school athletes, who now have to fund raise if they want to compete in the states on the list. I dunno, it's kind of a dumb rule by California. But so are laws enacted by Texas and other states that protect the religious liberty to discriminate against gay people.
                      Refusing to force people to play along is not the same as active discrimination.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ibleed View Post
                        Whats the issue here?

                        Dispute between the states. Take it to court. Pretty states' rightsy to me.

                        Theres a difference between a state arguing with another state, and a state arguing against the federal government.
                        How is one state asking the federal government to overturn another state’s laws “States Rights”?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Whatever happened to California breaking away and becoming their own country?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post

                            How is one state asking the federal government to overturn another state’s laws “States Rights”?
                            If one state believes that another state's laws causes harm to it, should it not have some mechanism to contest it? (Merits of such case aside)

                            Also, in virtually every context I've ever heard any discussion of "states rights", it has always been about the states rights versus those of the federal government. The concept of states arguing among states over how things should run tends to fit in with their stance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ibleed View Post

                              If one state believes that another state's laws causes harm to it, should it not have some mechanism to contest it? (Merits of such case aside)

                              Also, in virtually every context I've ever heard any discussion of "states rights", it has always been about the states rights versus those of the federal government. The concept of states arguing among states over how things should run tends to fit in with their stance.
                              So your example of states right would result in the federal government overturning a states laws? That checks out...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X