Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahh... Virginia Republicans. Never Change!

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh... Virginia Republicans. Never Change!

How many times on here, let alone out in the real world, do you hear Republicans talking about how they are the party who freed the slaves? I want to say this came up (again) here not to long ago.

Well, Virginia just held a vote concerning the relocation of Confederate monuments around the state. Not the destruction. Not to tear them down. But, to allow the cities in which they’re located the right to take them out of their hallowed places in the public square. And, guess which party voted against it? That’s right. That same party who’s members like to constantly remind us that they are still the party of Lincoln.

Can we finally just put this ridiculous notion, that the GOP of today is the same party that freed the slaves, to rest? How can you be the party of Lincoln... the party which freed the slaves... and simultaneously be the party which fights for Confederate pride?

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
    How many times on here, let alone out in the real world, do you hear Republicans talking about how they are the party who freed the slaves? I want to say this came up (again) here not to long ago.

Well, Virginia just held a vote concerning the relocation of Confederate monuments around the state. Not the destruction. Not to tear them down. But, to allow the cities in which they’re located the right to take them out of their hallowed places in the public square. And, guess which party voted against it? That’s right. That same party who’s members like to constantly remind us that they are still the party of Lincoln.

Can we finally just put this ridiculous notion, that the GOP of today is the same party that freed the slaves, to rest? How can you be the party of Lincoln... the party which freed the slaves... and simultaneously be the party which fights for Confederate pride?
    Yes, yes. Put all your history in a dark room and pretend it never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by DynastyFSU2 View Post

Yes, yes. Put all your history in a dark room and pretend it never happened.
      That’s not what people are asking for. There’s a difference in running from history and asking for it not to be exalted by monuments on Main Street. Up until recently, Virginia celebrated Lee-Jackson-King Day. Let that sink in. It was done deliberately. That is just plain sickening, pairing two men who fought to preserve slavery with the civil rights martyr who died with a dream that all men could be seen as being equal.

It’s also unsurprising that the above irony is lost on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

That’s not what people are asking for. There’s a difference in running from history and asking for it not to be exalted by monuments on Main Street. Up until recently, Virginia celebrated Lee-Jackson-King Day. Let that sink in. It was done deliberately. That is just plain sickening, pairing two men who fought to preserve slavery with the civil rights martyr who died with a dream that all men could be seen as being equal.

It’s also unsurprising that the above irony is lost on you.
        I'm not from the south, historically. I have family buried at andersonville, and gettysburg. I live in a town that has a monument to its role in the war...a hospital town. It has the stars and bars on it, but its been there since before automobiles. It is not about slavery, it's about the care given to both sides during the civil war. Should it be removed from the town square?

Comment

I’m trying to imagine another country that would tolerate monuments of failed revolutionaries in town squares 150 years later. It’s bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
            I’m trying to imagine another country that would tolerate monuments of failed revolutionaries in town squares 150 years later. It’s bizarre.
            You wont. Our Civil war was unique in history. Mostly because we are unique in history.

Comment

It’s generally a good rule of thumb to try and not be like Alabama or Mississippi.

Comment

I'm trying to imagine another country with our freedoms coming up with Hillary or Trump as viable options.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

I'm trying to imagine another country with our freedoms coming up with Hillary or Trump as viable options.
                  The U.K. came up with Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbin so they’re a closest 2nd.

Comment

Only semi-decent comparison I can think of is the Soviet era monuments that are still scattered around Russia, but most of the ones I’ve seen seem to be centered around WW2. Hard to remove historical monuments celebrating your country’s greatest military victory/coming back from the brink of annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Only semi-decent comparison I can think of is the Soviet era monuments that are still scattered around Russia, but most of the ones I’ve seen seem to be centered around WW2. Hard to remove historical monuments celebrating your country’s greatest military victory/coming back from the brink of annihilation.
                      Soviets weren't failed revolutionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post

Soviets weren't failed revolutionaries.
                        Guess it depends on whether or not you buy into their idea of what a revolution is.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Guess it depends on whether or not you buy into their idea of what a revolution is.
                          They formed an entirely new government that held for 70 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post

They formed an entirely new government that held for 70 years.
                            Apparently you’re unfamiliar with the concept of a communist revolution. According to China and Cuba, their revolutions are still ongoing.

Comment

Originally posted by DynastyFSU2 View Post

I'm not from the south, historically. I have family buried at andersonville, and gettysburg. I live in a town that has a monument to its role in the war...a hospital town. It has the stars and bars on it, but its been there since before automobiles. It is not about slavery, it's about the care given to both sides during the civil war. Should it be removed from the town square?
                              From the town square? That’s up to that town. That was my point. These bills allow the people of the town to decide. Personally, it doesn’t affect my life. But, I have a black friend who has to walk past a Stonewall Jackson monument every day he goes to his law practice. It offends him. He should have a say.

And, I’m sorry dude. But, anything with the Stars and Bars is about slavery. In the case of the Civil War, good men indeed fought on both sides. Most of those men didn’t own slaves. Still, they fought on the side of those who wanted to preserve the right of white men to own slaves. That’s what that flag stands for.

Comment

Working...
                              X