Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A medical device manufacturer has threatened to sue a group of volunteers in Italy that 3D printed a valve used for life-saving coronavirus treatments. The valve typically costs about $11,000 from the medical device manufacturer, but the volunteers were able to print replicas for about $1 (via Techdirt).

    A hospital in Italy was in need of the valves after running out while treating patients for COVID-19. The hospital’s usual supplier said they could not make the valves in time to treat the patients, according to Metro. That launched a search for a way to 3D print a replica part, and Cristian Fracassi and Alessandro Ramaioli, who work at Italian startup Isinnova, offered their company’s printer for the job, reports Business Insider.

    However, when the pair asked the manufacturer of the valves for blueprints they could use to print replicas, the company declined and threatened to sue for patent infringement, according to Business Insider Italia. Fracassi and Ramaioli moved ahead anyway by measuring the valves and 3D printing three different versions of them.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/2...ves-treatments

    Tomorrow's news: Italian startup ordered to pay $37 million to medical supply company. Hooray for capitalism!

    Edit: Of course SoftBank and theranos are involved.

    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-patents.shtml
    Last edited by Spartan; 03-18-2020, 10:35 AM.

    Comment


    • There is some precedent here. South Africa basically stole HIV treatment drugs from foreign companies and got away with it, claiming an emergency. The TRIPS agreement I think has provisions for pandemics to steal patents.

      Either way, it was an absolute PR nightmare for the drug companies fighting to limit South Africa's production and that was to help foreign, black, potentially gay people in the 80s. Imagine the PR nightmare of blocking it for a poor white straight Christian grandma in Utah.

      Comment


      • I never got my Obama Phone. I guess I shouldn’t expect my Trump $2000...

        Comment


        • https://twitter.com/thefix/status/12...672380931?s=21

          Fuck these people.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Spartan View Post

            https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/2...ves-treatments

            Tomorrow's news: Italian startup ordered to pay $37 million to medical supply company. Hooray for capitalism!

            Edit: Of course SoftBank and theranos are involved.

            https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-patents.shtml
            At this time - the PTO must simply stop enforcing all medical and device patents. Or let the copycats just go ahead and infringe - courts are all closed. And any jury is going to be sympathetic to the infringer especially if they haven't profited and simply saved lives


            Now is a good time to fucking open source everything - fuck the patents. If someone is able to build a faster better cheaper mouse trap than you - then you need to die like old people with the COVID19

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
              Who was the first woman? She had so much makeup on she doesn’t look like a person.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post

                Who was the first woman? She had so much makeup on she doesn’t look like a person.
                Trish Regan. Her Democrat impeachment coronavirus hoax segment went viral. She's absolutely evil. 100%. She knew this was a potential serious problem and instead went on air and called it all another impeachment hoax against the president.

                I wish there were avenues to charge these people with reckless endangerment. It's completely ridiculous.

                Comment


                • Why are a majority of the questions about Trump calling it a Chinese virus and not about testing?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
                    Why are a majority of the questions about Trump calling it a Chinese virus and not about testing?
                    I'm torn. On one hand, I wish people would focus on the real issue of testing and not Trump's overt racism. On the other hand, we should always push back against it.

                    I just wish we had a president who would focus on this primarily and quit with the petty grievances. But Trump will always be Trump.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DPR View Post

                      I'm torn. On one hand, I wish people would focus on the real issue of testing and not Trump's overt racism. On the other hand, we should always push back against it.

                      I just wish we had a president who would focus on this primarily and quit with the petty grievances. But Trump will always be Trump.
                      Look I don't want them to call it the Chinese virus and don't want Asian people to face racism. But it did come from China that is a fact. The Chinese Communist party has said it was a US bio-weapon. Are US reporters aggressively asking for clarification from the Chinese government about that? Last I saw they were kicking out US reporters.

                      Also if you are going to ask about it the reporter should name the person in the Trump Admin who called it Kung Flu. Because if they don't it comes off as "people in your administration are saying..." which is the same kind of shit they rightly give Trump shit for. "People are saying we are doing a great job." Who is saying that?

                      Testing questions should be the priority followed by questions of how we are procuring more medical supplies. Doctors are dying in Italy due to treating patients without masks.
                      Last edited by TTURedRaider; 03-18-2020, 01:16 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                        Look I don't want them to call it the Chinese virus and don't want Asian people to face racism. But it did come from China that is a fact. The Chinese Communist party has said it was a US bio-weapon. Are US reporters aggressively asking for clarification from the Chinese government about that? Last I saw they were kicking out US reporters.

                        Also if you are going to ask about it the reporter should name the person in the Trump Admin who called it Kung Flu. Because if they don't it comes off as "people in your administration are saying..." which is the same kind of shit they rightly give Trump shit for. "People are saying we are doing a great job." Who is saying that?

                        Testing questions should be the priority followed by questions of how we are procuring more medical supplies. Doctors are dying in Italy due to treating patients without masks.
                        I dunno, I suspect I hold the US government to a higher standard than Communist China.

                        Calling it the Chinese virus doesn't really do any good. Like it matters where it came from at this point to the average person. The only people that should be concerned with the origin are the people working on vaccines/cures and public health officials mapping possible pandemic scenarios.

                        What matters is that Trump did very little to halt the spread initially or to prepare for a pandemic. Now that we're here, we're facing the repercussions of electing a TV game show host.

                        Comment


                        • https://www.diamandis.com/blog/good-...el=tw-14710129

                          Look, good news.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post



                              More bad news.

                              https://mobile.twitter.com/Independe...05922540179456

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post
                                I don't know how U2 ever played in bars back in the day. All of their songs are like ballads and look like they should be played in front of 500,000 people.

                                I went to one of their concerts after 9/11 and there were probably 50,000 people there and they did their ballads and showed all of the names of the victims on the wall behind them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X