Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why White Privilege is a Canard

Interesting article. Id like to get everyone's thoughts...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...campaign=Smith

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PBS; 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM.

Is National Review the one Curt Schilling writes for

Comment

Originally posted by Gyle View Post
      Is National Review the one Curt Schilling writes for
      LOL Touche'

Comment

Race is, as usual, a stand in for class. At the same time, it never hurts to be white. A demographic shift may change that one day. Or maybe not.

Comment

White privilege does not mean that white folks don’t, at times, have a hard go of it. It simply means that race generally isn’t a factor in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
            Race is, as usual, a stand in for class. At the same time, it never hurts to be white. A demographic shift may change that one day. Or maybe not.
            Unless you're trying to get into college or qualify for a scholarship. Or get a job with most state governments. Or just want to say whatever you feel like without being physically attacked or ostracized. It hurts pretty bad in all of those cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
              White privilege does not mean that white folks don’t, at times, have a hard go of it. It simply means that race generally isn’t a factor in it.
              Let's just make something perfectly clear: White privilege is a racist idea. The entire thing is based upon the notion that someone is or isn't something, has or hasn't experienced something, or can or can't be something on the basis of race. It doesn't get any more clear cut than that.

But I'm a good sport and I love shitting on bad ideas, so let me rip this one to shreds real quick.

Everybody on this planet is different than everybody else. Some of us are fat, skinny, short, tall, black, white, smart, stupid, attractive, ugly, etc. Any one of these things can and does come with positives and negatives that can have an impact on the course of your life. Nobody has ever or will ever deny that basic fact of life, which is why we all learn that life isn't fair at a young age.

What I have a problem with, is this growing notion that success or failure is determined in some way by one of those immutable characteriatics. It's simply not true in today's day and age. Every day, we see amazing people of all kinds doing spectacular things, often "overcoming the odds" in the process, which really makes you wonder, who's setting the odds? I can't point to anyone in particular, and neither can anyone else, yet we all walk around acting as if someone is sitting on a throne determining who succeeds and who fails.

That notion is bullshit. It crushes the human spirit and puts a megaphone in front of that little voice all of us have inside of us saying that we're not good enough. It amplifies and lends credence to the excuses we all make as to why we can't live the life we want to live, and I think we can all agree that none of us need any help in that department.

Anyway, my worry about all of this isn't anti-white racism, how the people who take offense to stupid beliefs like this feel, or any of that. My worry is that millions of people will adopt this retarded mind set, never develop because they have an easy out, and live a life that they'll later regret. I'm worried about segregation coming back in my lifetime, this time by choice. I'm worried about my son growing up in a world where he's told he can't know or understand someone else's problems because of the melanin in their skin.

That's the shit that bothers me about "white privilege", and it's about time people cut the identity politics bullshit and consider the long term implications of what they mindlessly parrot.

Comment

Who you know to and to whom you are related are far more important than any other factor. It is also important to take advantage of your opportunities. There are no great men, only those who took (take) full advantage of their opportunities. If you've never seen this it is worth 1.5 hours of your time:

Comment

In my life's experiences, being white has been a bonus at times, and a hindrance at others. It hasn't been the gravy train a lot of people want to make it out to be.

Comment

The term "white" is too broad. I happen to be Irish. It hasn't exactly been peaches for my people throughout history.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Unless you're trying to get into college or qualify for a scholarship. Or get a job with most state governments. Or just want to say whatever you feel like without being physically attacked or ostracized. It hurts pretty bad in all of those cases.
                      I figured that you would be the one to bring up affirmative action.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...44WEcn9FqfX_4z

As far as saying whatever you feel, go ahead. You aren't ostracized because you're white, though. You're ostracized because society thinks it's stupid. You know perfectly well that a Black person would be labeled a thug for saying the same thing. Maybe not by the same people, but it is just as inevitable.

Comment

Let's just make something perfectly clear: White privilege is a racist idea. The entire thing is based upon the notion that someone is or isn't something, has or hasn't experienced something, or can or can't be something on the basis of race. It doesn't get any more clear cut than that.

But I'm a good sport and I love shitting on bad ideas, so let me rip this one to shreds real quick.

Everybody on this planet is different than everybody else. Some of us are fat, skinny, short, tall, black, white, smart, stupid, attractive, ugly, etc. Any one of these things can and does come with positives and negatives that can have an impact on the course of your life. Nobody has ever or will ever deny that basic fact of life, which is why we all learn that life isn't fair at a young age.

What I have a problem with, is this growing notion that success or failure is determined in some way by one of those immutable characteriatics. It's simply not true in today's day and age. Every day, we see amazing people of all kinds doing spectacular things, often "overcoming the odds" in the process, which really makes you wonder, who's setting the odds? I can't point to anyone in particular, and neither can anyone else, yet we all walk around acting as if someone is sitting on a throne determining who succeeds and who fails.

That notion is bullshit. It crushes the human spirit and puts a megaphone in front of that little voice all of us have inside of us saying that we're not good enough. It amplifies and lends credence to the excuses we all make as to why we can't live the life we want to live, and I think we can all agree that none of us need any help in that department.

Anyway, my worry about all of this isn't anti-white racism, how the people who take offense to stupid beliefs like this feel, or any of that. My worry is that millions of people will adopt this retarded mind set, never develop because they have an easy out, and live a life that they'll later regret. I'm worried about segregation coming back in my lifetime, this time by choice. I'm worried about my son growing up in a world where he's told he can't know or understand someone else's problems because of the melanin in their skin.

That's the shit that bothers me about "white privilege", and it's about time people cut the identity politics bullshit and consider the long term implications of what they mindlessly parrot.
                        We’ve been over this before. The entire notion is that whites generally don’t experience adversity based on our race.

To bring back an example. I hear gunshots near my place in a nice, gentrified area. The cops show up a half an hour later. Or more. I believe you had this happen to you. Now, go a few blocks over. Someone hears gunshots. Calls the cops. They show up over an hour later. Or more. You agreed with this example once upon a time.

And sorry bro. You’re not going to rip me to shreds.

Comment

Unless you're trying to get into college or qualify for a scholarship.
                          Completely depends. But yes, in a lot of cases it helps to be a black or Latino minority.

Or get a job with most state governments.
                          Is there any proof that state governments over-hire black or Latino minorities?

Or just want to say whatever you feel like without being physically attacked or ostracized. It hurts pretty bad in all of those cases.
                          I say whatever I feel like and rarely get in trouble. Perhaps you should ask yourself why saying what you feel like makes you look like such an asshole to others.

You're skipping over interactions with law enforcement. That's kind of a big one. And if you're black and in a smaller town, your dating pool is substantially smaller as people are still racist as hell when it comes to interracial dating/marriage.

Comment

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing and simply said that he is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagoodson View Post

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing and simply said that he is an idiot.
                              Heh. Except he knows I’m not an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                              X