X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
    List of good Christians on this board:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I don’t really understand what a good Christian even is, because the Bible clearly says nobody is good, so it’s kind of an oxymoron. Everybody sins and will continue to sin for as long as they live, but that’s where repentance comes in. There’s a big, big difference between lying and repenting for it, doing your best not to lie in the future, and lying all day every day without repenting or showing any remorse. One demonstrates a sincere effort to do better, which is motivated by faith, the other shows no desire and indicates a possible lack of faith.

So when I call out Beamer, I’m not claiming to be better than him or anyone else. What I’m doing is showing him why, according to his own self professed beliefs, he’s a hypocrite and should seek repentance. If you notice though, he hasn’t acknowledge that in any way, and is instead trying to reframe what the Bible says to suit his own personal ideology. You know, like Jesus said people would.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
      Thou shalt be excellent to one another. The end. That’s all we need. Thanks Bill & Ted.
      I don’t think that’s too far from the truth. But you know, if you were drinking yourself to death every day, I wouldn’t be good to you by not saying anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMoneypit View Post
        FIFY. Don't feed into double standards.
        Freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want including something that might offend. Freedom of speech only protects you from the government. It does not protect you from any and all consequences you might face as the result of saying words. For example, it doesn't protect you from a clause in your employment contract that you signed which employers interpret broadly to fire people.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
          List of good Christians on this board:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          Technically there’s no such thing as a good Christian. Every one of us is a sinner and no matter how “good” some are, they are not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

I don’t really understand what a good Christian even is, because the Bible clearly says nobody is good, so it’s kind of an oxymoron. Everybody sins and will continue to sin for as long as they live, but that’s where repentance comes in. There’s a big, big difference between lying and repenting for it, doing your best not to lie in the future, and lying all day every day without repenting or showing any remorse. One demonstrates a sincere effort to do better, which is motivated by faith, the other shows no desire and indicates a possible lack of faith.

So when I call out Beamer, I’m not claiming to be better than him or anyone else. What I’m doing is showing him why, according to his own self professed beliefs, he’s a hypocrite and should seek repentance. If you notice though, he hasn’t acknowledge that in any way, and is instead trying to reframe what the Bible says to suit his own personal ideology. You know, like Jesus said people would.
            And my point is what the fuck does any of this have to do with working for a transgender person? Is the evil that is being transgender counteracted by the thousands of lives her company saves every year and the hundreds of thousands that it will one day save?

Or should I quit a job that is hugely fulfilling, lucrative, flexible, and for the best boss I’ve ever had because the big boss identifies as female?

What would be the “non-hypocritical” move here? Should I follow her down the hall ringing a bell and chanting “shame, shame, shame”?

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

Freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want including something that might offend. Freedom of speech only protects you from the government. It does not protect you from any and all consequences you might face as the result of saying words. For example, it doesn't protect you from a clause in your employment contract that you signed which employers interpret broadly to fire people.
              Which I fully agree with, but that's not what I was talking about. Nothing in freedom of speech gives one person the right to say something that someone else isn't. In fact, that is the exact opposite of free speech. I thought you were smart enough to see the difference, evidently I was mistaken.

Comment

Which I fully agree with, but that's not what I was talking about. Nothing in freedom of speech gives one person the right to say something that someone else isn't. In fact, that is the exact opposite of free speech. I thought you were smart enough to see the difference, evidently I was mistaken.
                Imagine this being the hill you choose to die on.

Find someone more important to get pissed about, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post

And my point is what the fuck does any of this have to do with working for a transgender person? Is the evil that is being transgender counteracted by the thousands of lives her company saves every year and the hundreds of thousands that it will one day save?

Or should I quit a job that is hugely fulfilling, lucrative, flexible, and for the best boss I’ve ever had because the big boss identifies as female?

What would be the “non-hypocritical” move here? Should I follow her down the hall ringing a bell and chanting “shame, shame, shame”?
                  Well for one, their existence is a lie, as is your playing along with it by calling them a woman when they’re a man. There’s not much difference between that and swindling people for a living from a biblical standpoint. There’s no counter action or trade off involved here, and the fact that you’d even suggest such a thing is possible is once again, not a biblical view.

That’s between you and the God you claim to believe in. Personally, I couldn’t say I’m a Christian and all that entails and then support things like abortion, gay marriage, transgenders, feminism, and who knows what else at the same time. I’d also have serious reservations about conforming to an ideology that directly contradicts and in some cases outright attacks God. That’s called being a hypocrite, and I’m pretty sure Jesus had beef with those too.

Again, that’s between you and God. This isn’t about me, this is just me holding you to the standards set forth by the faith you claim to have. You’re either repentant or not, you believe in the word or you don’t, there isn’t a third “well I’m a fan when it’s convenient but otherwise I ignore it/treat it as irrelevant” option. The Bible condemns that mentality outright in numerous verses and in some ways describes people like that as being worse than people who don’t believe at all.
                  Last edited by tOSUfanboi2; 10-17-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Kind of weird that you guys always insist on pointing out legal rights and never address the actual principles behind them. Never really understood that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamster View Post

Technically there’s no such thing as a good Christian. Every one of us is a sinner and no matter how “good” some are, they are not perfect.
                      Bingo. But, and this is important, sincere repentance is a key part of the faith. Some people seem to interpret everyone being sinners as a license to do whatever they want, and that they’ll be saved regardless. That’s not what Jesus said at all. Numerous times he healed people, and his words immediately afterwards were “go and sin no more” or something along those lines. He made sure to remind everyone that while God’s grace is boundless, his love is not unconditional in the way that we understand the term. You have to actually want to do the right thing and try, otherwise, there’s really no point to anything he did. God could have just sent a messenger and said “Hey everybody, all sins are forgiven, do whatever you want now” if that was the goal, but it wasn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post

Imagine this being the hill you choose to die on.

Find someone more important to get pissed about, man.
                        I couldn't care less about this guy getting fired. He was just an example of the double standard that is prevalent in the political correctness/ social justice/cultural appropriation movement. We live in a society that doesn't understand the simplest of truths, treating someone differently because of their race is racist.

Comment

Please tell me they were listening to Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
                            Please tell me they were listening to Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta.
                            Not sure, my friend has terrible taste in music so I doubt that was what they were listening too.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Kind of weird that you guys always insist on pointing out legal rights and never address the actual principles behind them. Never really understood that.
                              The freedom of speech includes the license to offend. The 1st Amendment only protects you from penalties from the government. It does not say your boss can't fire you. It exists in the Constitution which limits the power of the government. It does not exist in your contract of employment. You are not free from all social penalties as a consequence of your speech.

You are not entitled to keep a job no matter what you say or how you conduct yourself. You have freedom of speech. That does not prohibit your employer from firing you no matter how offensive you may be to others.

PS I hate the world we live in now for different reasons.

Comment

The freedom of speech includes the license to offend. The 1st Amendment only protects you from penalties from the government. It does not say your boss can't fire you. It exists in the Constitution which limits the power of the government. It does not exist in your contract of employment. You are not free from all social penalties as a consequence of your speech.

You are not entitled to keep a job no matter what you say or how you conduct yourself. You have freedom of speech. That does not prohibit your employer from firing you no matter how offensive you may be to others.

PS I hate the world we live in now for different reasons.
                                Again, we know what the legal boundaries are, nobody anywhere is disputing that.

What do you think about free speech as a principle and how it should apply to society?

Comment

Working...
                                X