Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Worth Officer Kills Woman In Her Bedroom In Response To 'Open Structure Call'

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Yes it is.

Good talk though,
    Nope. Strawman.

People should be free to make their own personal choices. The choices cops make aren’t personal. They represent their city and department and affect citizens. Thus we should hold their decision making ability up to a higher standard than the average person. College helps.

Comment

Originally posted by md21 View Post

Nope. Strawman.

People should be free to make their own personal choices. The choices cops make aren’t personal. They represent their city and department and affect citizens. Thus we should hold their decision making ability up to a higher standard than the average person. College helps.
      Is this use terminology we don’t know the meaning of day? I drew a logical conclusion from what you said, and you said it wasn’t. You didn’t say why or explain yourself in any way, you just insisted, so I responded in kind. That’s not a strawman.

The choices soldiers make aren’t always personal either, which is why I used them as one of my examples. They represent the United States military/government and what they do affects not only our citizens, but citizens in whatever country they’re stationed/fighting in. Thus we should hold their decision making ability up to a higher standard than the average person. College helps.

Comment

Going to have to raise police pay if you’re going to require them to have a college degree.

Comment

Is this use terminology we don’t know the meaning of day? I drew a logical conclusion from what you said, and you said it wasn’t. You didn’t say why or explain yourself in any way, you just insisted, so I responded in kind. That’s not a strawman.

The choices soldiers make aren’t always personal either, which is why I used them as one of my examples. They represent the United States military/government and what they do affects not only our citizens, but citizens in whatever country they’re stationed/fighting in. Thus we should hold their decision making ability up to a higher standard than the average person. College helps.
          Take a guess what officers (decision makers) in the military have to have?

Comment

Honest question...

Is it possible for a Non-Commissioned Officer to become a Commissioned Officer just through hard work or is a degree required?

I seem to remember an Uncle of mine that was in the Navy saying that he couldn’t get to an Officer position in his career because a lack of a degree. But that was many moons ago and he’s dead now.

Comment

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of an NCO? You know, people on the battlefield who make decisions under pressure that don’t need college to qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by Shamster View Post

Honest question...

Is it possible for a Non-Commissioned Officer to become a Commissioned Officer just through hard work or is a degree required?

I seem to remember an Uncle of mine that was in the Navy saying that he couldn’t get to an Officer position in his career because a lack of a degree. But that was many moons ago and he’s dead now.
                I’ve always been under the impression that it requires a degree, but I’m sure there’s circumstances where people have been commissioned without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamster View Post

Honest question...

No, it is required to start out as one though.

The Paths to Becoming an Officer

If you’re interested in serving as an officer, you have five options:
                  • Attend a senior military college or service academy
                  • Enroll at a traditional college or university with a Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program
                  • Attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) after graduating from college
                  • Receive a direct commission after earning a professional degree
                  • Advance through the enlisted ranks and then complete officer training

Comment

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of an NCO? You know, people on the battlefield who make decisions under pressure that don’t need college to qualify?
                    That doesn’t change anything. They still take orders from guys that do. The military puts a premium on college degrees for their decision makers. End of story.

Comment

That doesn’t change anything. They still take orders from guys that do. The military puts a premium on college degrees for their decision makers. End of story.
                      Yeah, not really. I’m not saying I want some rube who barely made it through HS with a C- average working for the FBI or even making decisions for a precinct, but that’s not the same role as a cop on the street. They take orders from people with degrees too, whether they be elected officials or superiors within the department or whoever.

The point is, NCO’s are entrusted with the lives of the people under their command, and the decisions they make can have very dire consequences. Can they mobilize thousands of men and lead them to their doom, no, but your average police officer doesn’t have that degree of power either. Their responsibilities and duties are limited, and the requirements of their job reflect that. The more responsibility you have, the higher the expectations and qualifications are and should be.

Comment

Yeah, not really. I’m not saying I want some rube who barely made it through HS with a C- average working for the FBI or even making decisions for a precinct, but that’s not the same role as a cop on the street. They take orders from people with degrees too, whether they be elected officials or superiors within the department or whoever.

The point is, NCO’s are entrusted with the lives of the people under their command, and the decisions they make can have very dire consequences. Can they mobilize thousands of men and lead them to their doom, no, but your average police officer doesn’t have that degree of power either. Their responsibilities and duties are limited, and the requirements of their job reflect that. The more responsibility you have, the higher the expectations and qualifications are and should be.
                        Why bother making officers go to college if it doesn’t matter?

Comment

Why bother making officers go to college if it doesn’t matter?
                          Did you not read my post? Because I specifically said that higher degrees of responsibility do and should require higher qualifications. If you want to say that high ranking police officers, federal officers, etc should have degrees, then I’d agree with you. But Joe beat cop? Why should we apply a standard to them that we don’t apply to our military? You know, people who are trained far more extensively in killing people and have far better tools for doing so? People that in times of crisis both at home and abroad are expected to conduct themselves with professionalism? The jobs couldn’t be more similar, and yet for some reason, you don’t think the same standards should be applied.

Comment

Did you not read my post? Because I specifically said that higher degrees of responsibility do and should require higher qualifications. If you want to say that high ranking police officers, federal officers, etc should have degrees, then I’d agree with you. But Joe beat cop? Why should we apply a standard to them that we don’t apply to our military? You know, people who are trained far more extensively in killing people and have far better tools for doing so? People that in times of crisis both at home and abroad are expected to conduct themselves with professionalism? The jobs couldn’t be more similar, and yet for some reason, you don’t think the same standards should be applied.
                            Because the job of police officer involves a lot more than just killing people.

Comment

Because the job of police officer involves a lot more than just killing people.
                              And the job of being a soldier, marine, sailor, etc does too. Enlisted personnel without college degrees perform all kinds of tasks, some of which being far more significant than anything a police officer could or will ever do.

I mean I get it, you painted yourself into a corner that you can’t really wiggle out of. I’m sure it’s frustrating, but maybe you should just admit you’re wrong?

Comment

And the job of being a soldier, marine, sailor, etc does too. Enlisted personnel without college degrees perform all kinds of tasks, some of which being far more significant than anything a police officer could or will ever do.

I mean I get it, you painted yourself into a corner that you can’t really wiggle out of. I’m sure it’s frustrating, but maybe you should just admit you’re wrong?
                                Bruh. A police officers job is different than a soldiers job. In fact, many have pointed out ad infintium how trying to turn police officers into soldiers is a horrible idea.

You haven’t given a single reason why police officers shouldn’t be college educated.

Comment

Working...
                                X