Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Worth Officer Kills Woman In Her Bedroom In Response To 'Open Structure Call'

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md21 View Post

Bruh. A police officers job is different than a soldiers job. In fact, many have pointed out ad infintium how trying to turn police officers into soldiers is a horrible idea.

You haven’t given a single reason why police officers shouldn’t be college educated.
    I said they’re similar, not the same, because they are similar in a lot of ways. Turning police officers into soldiers is a bad idea, just like turning soldiers into police officers is, but if we’re talking raw capabilities and requirements, there’s no real reason to have a different standard. Enlisted soldiers without degrees frequently do work that is more complex and impactful than anything police officers do, and by all accounts, they do a pretty good job. That leads me to believe the problem with police isn’t qualifications, it’s the way they’re being trained to do the job. It doesn’t matter if a police officer has a degree if he’s being instructed via military style training to shoot at the first sign of danger. If he’s trained in that way and told that he’s required to, he will, and the end result will be the same as it is now.

I’ve given several, you just don’t seem to want to accept them no matter how many ways we approach the issue. Ideally, everybody would go to college and continue to learn and improve for their entire life. Unfortunately, that’s not the world we live in. In the real world, we have a population that is increasingly fat, has little interest in risking their lives for a 50 grand a year, and when they are educated and have opportunities, being a police officer usually isn’t at the top of their list.

I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but college degrees are required in many parts of the country to be a police officer. I don’t have a problem with that, if they can get enough quality applicants with those requirements and think it helps, more power to them. What I have a problem with is thinking that rural Arkansas PD needs college graduates to write tickets when only a fraction of their population has degrees and even fewer want to be cops. It’s not necessary and is completely unrealistic.

Comment

Bruh. A police officers job is different than a soldiers job. In fact, many have pointed out ad infintium how trying to turn police officers into soldiers is a horrible idea.

You haven’t given a single reason why police officers shouldn’t be college educated.
      In all fairness - our streets are a battle zone with citizens having more firepower than the cops - what's cop with a service revolver to do in front of a citizen with an AR15 + Bump stock + extended magazine (or Clip as DaCat would call it)?

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

I said they’re similar, not the same, because they are similar in a lot of ways. Turning police officers into soldiers is a bad idea, just like turning soldiers into police officers is, but if we’re talking raw capabilities and requirements, there’s no real reason to have a different standard. Enlisted soldiers without degrees frequently do work that is more complex and impactful than anything police officers do, and by all accounts, they do a pretty good job. That leads me to believe the problem with police isn’t qualifications, it’s the way they’re being trained to do the job. It doesn’t matter if a police officer has a degree if he’s being instructed via military style training to shoot at the first sign of danger. If he’s trained in that way and told that he’s required to, he will, and the end result will be the same as it is now.

I’ve given several, you just don’t seem to want to accept them no matter how many ways we approach the issue. Ideally, everybody would go to college and continue to learn and improve for their entire life. Unfortunately, that’s not the world we live in. In the real world, we have a population that is increasingly fat, has little interest in risking their lives for a 50 grand a year, and when they are educated and have opportunities, being a police officer usually isn’t at the top of their list.

I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but college degrees are required in many parts of the country to be a police officer. I don’t have a problem with that, if they can get enough quality applicants with those requirements and think it helps, more power to them. What I have a problem with is thinking that rural Arkansas PD needs college graduates to write tickets when only a fraction of their population has degrees and even fewer want to be cops. It’s not necessary and is completely unrealistic.
        Why do you think those departments require degrees? It’s not because they’re a bunch of elitists, it’s because they know it helps and have the data to back that up.

Comment

Okay, I’m listening. Why?
          In many areas, police officers are now required to have a college degree. I’ll boil it down to this. This weeds out some of the Bubbas out there who just want the power trip.

Comment

Why do you think those departments require degrees? It’s not because they’re a bunch of elitists, it’s because they know it helps and have the data to back that up.
            That argument doesn’t really mean anything, because I could just as easily say all of the departments that don’t base that belief on the opposite perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

In all fairness - our streets are a battle zone with citizens having more firepower than the cops - what's cop with a service revolver to do in front of a citizen with an AR15 + Bump stock + extended magazine (or Clip as DaCat would call it)?
              Police officers carry automatic rifles and I don’t know of a single one that carries a revolver. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shamster View Post

Police officers carry automatic rifles and I don’t know of a single one that carries a revolver. lol
                Beat cops carry automatic rifles? Yeah right. The cop who shot that woman, shot her with his service revolver. Because he was carrying a flash light in his other hand.

Comment

That argument doesn’t really mean anything, because I could just as easily say all of the departments that don’t base that belief on the opposite perspective.
                  Well if you want to sound like a dumbfuck, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

In many areas, police officers are now required to have a college degree. I’ll boil it down to this. This weeds out some of the Bubbas out there who just want the power trip.
                    Yeah, I’m not sure I believe that.

We all seem to agree on the problem: Cops are shooting or otherwise killing people they shouldn’t be, because they react to certain high pressure situations incorrectly. I’m going to continue on assuming we’re on the same page here, but if we’re not, please feel free to clarify.

That problem cannot be fixed with any form of traditional education, because it’s not due to a lack of knowledge or cognitive ability. It’s the direct result of people being trained to respond in a particular way when they encounter particular circumstances. It’s basically a Pavlovian response. Think you’re in danger? Draw your weapon. Think you see a gun or other weapon? Shoot. The reason they’re trained in this way is because most police departments have adopted military style training philosophies, and they’re incredibly effective at preparing people to deal with crisis situations. The downside is, that kind of training trades thinking for reaction time, which leads to situations where people get shot and killed for no reason.

To give you guys some idea of what this training looks like, here’s a link to Wikipedia article on a commonly used method known as point shooting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting

If you read through the concept and how it’s trained, you’ll notice that thought isn’t a part of the equation. The goal is to train people to fire with higher than normal accuracy at close range on instinct. According to this article and most things you find online, police started being trained in this way around the 1980s, right around the same time that other military influences started creeping in.

Comment

Well if you want to sound like a dumbfuck, sure.
                      Again, you can say the same thing in response. Doesn’t really mean anything.

Comment

WTF...

Well, this took a turn down "Everybody should go to College Street".

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

Beat cops carry automatic rifles? Yeah right. The cop who shot that woman, shot her with his service revolver. Because he was carrying a flash light in his other hand.
                          Maybe not in your area, but yes, a fair amount of “beat cops” carry AR-15s in their trunk and have been doing so for a long time.

For Example, a buddy of mine works for Athens-Clarke County. In his daily work:

Pepper Spray
                          Taser
                          Asp
                          Glock 17
                          Remington 870 shotgun
                          Daniel Defense DDM4 Carbine

Once again, Cops do not carry service revolvers. They carry semiautomatic pistols. There’s a huge difference.
                          Last edited by Shamster; 10-16-2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Maybe not in your area, but yes, a fair amount of “beat cops” carry AR-15s in their trunk and have been doing so for a long time.

Pepper Spray
                            Taser
                            Asp
                            Glock 17
                            Remington 870 shotgun

Once again, Cops do not carry service revolvers. They carry semiautomatic pistols. There’s a huge difference.
                            "Hey robber, wait right there while I reload these shots"

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

"Hey robber, wait right there while I reload these shots"
                              Barney Fife, FTW!

Comment

Pepper Spray
                                Taser
                                Asp
                                Glock 17
                                Remington 870 shotgun

Thanks for the deep dive master class on the difference between a service revolver and a semi automatic pistol. I rely on you and DS to teach the illiterate citizens about armaments

When cops go to knock on doors they don't carry AR15s. It's a backup weapon which I don't doubt cops have in the trunk of their squad car.

Comment

Working...
                                X