Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Worth Officer Kills Woman In Her Bedroom In Response To 'Open Structure Call'

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

    Okay, I’m listening. Why?
    Cops need critical thinking skills.

    Comment


    • #32
      While I wait for md’s response, let me go on a little rant here.

      I’m not an expert in this area by any means, but I have heard from people who are and listened to some of their ideas. The thing that keeps coming up is that the policies that are in place and the training police receive is really the core issue. You can’t put people through 15+ week military style boot camps, arm them to the teeth, give them very flexible guidelines in terms of use of force, and then just expect things to go well. Personally, I think we could go a long way to solving this problem by adding more civilian oversight, more training focused on dealing with people and stress, and put less emphasis on training beat cops like they’re patrolling Iraq. It won’t solve the problem obviously, because police have always shot people either in error or cold blood as far back as anyone knows, but it could definitely help.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by md21 View Post

        Cops need critical thinking skills.
        I’d agree with that. Do you think that can be taught or that it’s inherent? Because I think it’s a combination of the two.

        Better question though, why aren’t people being taught critical thinking in the 12 years they’re in school prior to college? It stands to reason that people would probably develop those skills to a higher degree if we started teaching them early instead of waiting until they’re adults.

        Comment


        • #34
          I'd rather require that people driving a car have critical thinking skills, because they don't.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

            I’d agree with that. Do you think that can be taught or that it’s inherent? Because I think it’s a combination of the two.

            Better question though, why aren’t people being taught critical thinking in the 12 years they’re in school prior to college? It stands to reason that people would probably develop those skills to a higher degree if we started teaching them early instead of waiting until they’re adults.
            Brain science points to it being taught. Your hippocampus (decision making part of the brain) develops during late adolescence and teen years

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by md21 View Post

              Brain science points to it being taught. Your hippocampus (decision making part of the brain) develops during late adolescence and teen years
              Legislating intelligence is as stupid as legislating morality

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by md21 View Post

                Brain science points to it being taught. Your hippocampus (decision making part of the brain) develops during late adolescence and teen years
                Which is mostly prior to college...? I mean unless you’re a genius and you go early. Why not start earlier? Is there really any harm in teaching children to make sound decisions based on logic and the information at their disposal?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by sctrojan View Post
                  Legislating intelligence is as stupid as legislating morality
                  I just don’t see why a college degree should matter in this context. For one, the actual nuts and bolts of every day police work don’t require a lot of intelligence. Pretty much anyone can be taught to write tickets, understand people’s rights, and fill out basic reports, which is all the majority of cops are going to be doing on a day to day basis. I’d be much more interested in someone’s psychological profile. Are they empathetic/conscientious? Do they have good communication skills? Do they have any hang ups about authority? I’d much rather have a dumb cop with a good moral compass than a smart cop with a God complex.

                  I’d also just like to point out that there’s very, very few places in this country where becoming a cop is easy. They go through mental health and medical screenings, have to meet physical standards, can’t have a record, pass lie detector tests, there’s a whole bunch of hurdles. What I think is causing the problem
                  isn’t the selection process, it’s how they’re indoctrinated. Look up what the police academy is like in your local area if you don’t believe me, they’re not training peacekeepers who are skilled at conflict resolution, they’re training soldiers.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                    Which is mostly prior to college...? I mean unless you’re a genius and you go early. Why not start earlier? Is there really any harm in teaching children to make sound decisions based on logic and the information at their disposal?
                    Here’s a good article -

                    https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...ContentID=3051

                    I had some experience with this out of college, one of my first jobs was as a youth intervention counselor and it became clear to me that 17-18 year olds just were not physically able to make sound decisions

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by md21 View Post

                      Here’s a good article -

                      https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...ContentID=3051

                      I had some experience with this out of college, one of my first jobs was as a youth intervention counselor and it became clear to me that 17-18 year olds just were not physically able to make sound decisions
                      So, should we change the legal age for voting, drinking, smoking, signing contracts, etc to 25?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                        So, should we change the legal age for voting, drinking, smoking, signing contracts, etc to 25?
                        Definitely not what I said

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                          Disagree.
                          Really? Why? Because reading this, the actual state code for murder https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/PE.19.htm, doesn't seem to fit this situation.

                          It fits the first clause, which is why manslaughter is the correct charge, but it is lacking the intent portion which is mentioned in every category for murder. Unless you think this officers intent was to kill this person when he went to the property. Again, even the shot fired appears to be a negligent discharge to me.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by md21 View Post

                            Definitely not what I said
                            Well it’s a pretty logical conclusion to draw based on what you’re saying here. If people below that age aren’t fully developed and make decisions based on emotions, should they really be making life long commitments? Signing up for six figure loans? Fighting wars? Deciding who should be in power?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

                              Well it’s a pretty logical conclusion to draw based on what you’re saying here. If people below that age aren’t fully developed and make decisions based on emotions, should they really be making life long commitments? Signing up for six figure loans? Fighting wars? Deciding who should be in power?
                              No it isn't.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by md21 View Post

                                No it isn't.
                                Yes it is.

                                Good talk though,

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X