Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NBA, China, and Hong Kong

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

    Big picture I kind of wish we would. Not because I like seeing people suffer mind you, but because I don’t. Economic prosperity gives their authoritarian government the muscle it needs to oppress its people, and without that, they’d collapse via revolution in no time. If the choice is let millions continue to be imprisoned and murdered indefinitely under the boots of psychopaths or that, it makes perfect sense. Having a substantial male majority helps that a lot, if they were closer to 50/50, I’d probably be less gung ho.
    I think that’s part of it but not everything. They were oppressing their people before and after economic prosperity. The world just kind of decided that their authoritarian capitalism was better than their authoritarian socialism.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by md21 View Post

      I think that’s part of it but not everything. They were oppressing their people before and after economic prosperity. The world just kind of decided that their authoritarian capitalism was better than their authoritarian socialism.
      But it’s not, and I think this rash of recent controversies is helping people see that. The hypothesis was that if you encourage capitalism, their society would become more free as a result. Turns out, not only is that not true, but all it really does is provide their oppressive government with bigger and better tools to torment their people with. So to that I say, let’s stop doing business with them. It doesn’t have to be a sweeping, overnight thing, but gradually moving away from China until they either change or they’re not our problem anymore is probably a good idea.

      Pardon me getting all Godwin’s law for a second, but it’s a relevant example here. American business interests made a LOT of money off of the third reich, and you could argue they wouldn’t have been anywhere near as destructive as they were if not for that. Do we really want to keep repeating these same
      mistakes over and over again, or is it better to say “Hey so, you guys don’t respect basic human rights and we’re not down with that, so don’t call us until that changes?”

      Comment


      • Originally posted by md21 View Post

        I think that’s part of it but not everything. They were oppressing their people before and after economic prosperity. The world just kind of decided that their authoritarian capitalism was better than their authoritarian socialism.

        I think the world decided authoritarianism is bad in general.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

          But it’s not, and I think this rash of recent controversies is helping people see that. The hypothesis was that if you encourage capitalism, their society would become more free as a result. Turns out, not only is that not true, but all it really does is provide their oppressive government with bigger and better tools to torment their people with. So to that I say, let’s stop doing business with them. It doesn’t have to be a sweeping, overnight thing, but gradually moving away from China until they either change or they’re not our problem anymore is probably a good idea.

          Pardon me getting all Godwin’s law for a second, but it’s a relevant example here. American business interests made a LOT of money off of the third reich, and you could argue they wouldn’t have been anywhere near as destructive as they were if not for that. Do we really want to keep repeating these same
          mistakes over and over again, or is it better to say “Hey so, you guys don’t respect basic human rights and we’re not down with that, so don’t call us until that changes?”
          Ideally yes that would be good but it’s a balancing act in reality. We have corporate overlords to appease, and a culture of mass consumerism to feed. Our pols still answer to them.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by md21 View Post

            Ideally yes that would be good but it’s a balancing act in reality. We have corporate overlords to appease, and a culture of mass consumerism to feed. Our pols still answer to them.
            Ah, right. I forgot we live to serve the almighty dollar and can’t let pesky things like human dignity get in the way. Silly me.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post


              I think the world decided authoritarianism is bad in general.

              Deng Xaoping is generally seen a lot more favorably than Mao

              Comment


              • Originally posted by md21 View Post
                Also, I don’t get why, if you happen to have an opinion on say police shootings you have to also have a strong take on HK/China. People have their pet issues.
                So why can't HK/China be Daryl Morey's pet issue?

                Lebron wants to be something more than a basketball player. He didn't just want to be Michael Jordan. He wants to be Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. He hasn't just spoke only about police shootings. He's waded into politics. He donated money to Obama and gather 20,000 to watch Obama political ads at the Cleveland Cavs arena. Called Trump a bum. He declared he would never sit across from Trump but he would sit across from Obama. He endorsed and campaigned for Hillary Clinton. LeBron James says NFL owners have 'slave mentality' when it comes to players

                He wants to be an activist, political, a labor leader, face of the NBA globally, etc. Okay great so lets not just treat him like some basketball player lets ask him to weigh in on things. But now we are not supposed to do that? Or only keep it contained to domestic U.S. politics?

                This reminds me...

                Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gave an interview to NPR this week to promote a new HBO documentary called Kareem: Minority of One. In that interview, they were discussing Abdul-Jabbar’s political activism when a famous quote supposedly said by Michael Jordan came up.

                The quote, which may be apocryphal, comes from a time when a friend reportedly asked Jordan why he wouldn’t campaign for a Democrat seeking office in North Carolina. Jordan’s response: “Republicans buy sneakers, too.”

                When the quote was mentioned in the interview with Abdul-Jabbar, he bristled, and then went after Jordan:
                “You can’t be afraid of losing shoe sales if you’re worried about your civil and human rights. He took commerce over conscience. It’s unfortunate for him, but he’s gotta live with it.”


                Last edited by TTURedRaider; 10-15-2019, 07:05 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by md21 View Post

                  Few americans are willing to change their lifestyle out of solidarity with HK. Not LeBron, not hookems, no one.
                  It would definitely be more easy to do if I was one of the world's richest athletes and would mean something if I was a global figure like Lebron.

                  That said my shoes are made in Vietnam. I'm not buying any games from Tencent, Blizzard, etc in the future.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post

                    This is a whole sentence of gobbledegook.

                    We are talking about LeBron speaking out against free speech in this thread, sir. Everyone from Warren, to Ron Wyden(solid leftist) to Rubio, to the far right is blasting LeBron here.

                    The only talking points he's following here are the Chinese government's.
                    Well fuck.

                    Carry on then.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                      So why can't HK/China be Daryl Morey's pet issue?

                      Lebron wants to be something more than a basketball player. He didn't just want to be Michael Jordan. He wants to be Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. He hasn't just spoke only about police shootings. He's waded into politics. He donated money to Obama and gather 20,000 to watch Obama political ads at the Cleveland Cavs arena. Called Trump a bum. He declared he would never sit across from Trump but he would sit across from Obama. He endorsed and campaigned for Hillary Clinton. LeBron James says NFL owners have 'slave mentality' when it comes to players

                      He wants to be an activist, political, a labor leader, face of the NBA globally, etc. Okay great so lets not just treat him like some basketball player lets ask him to weigh in on things. But now we are not supposed to do that? Or only keep it contained to domestic U.S. politics?

                      This reminds me...
                      It can be, but Morey abandoned the issue.

                      I am all for criticizing LeBron here, but he's also been saying this whole time that he wants to be a billionaire athlete. And the reaction from the right is to me just concern trolling to shut him down from complaining about Trump or police brutality or whatever his issue dujour is.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                        It would definitely be more easy to do if I was one of the world's richest athletes and would mean something if I was a global figure like Lebron.

                        That said my shoes are made in Vietnam. I'm not buying any games from Tencent, Blizzard, etc in the future.
                        For LeBron it is a far more complex issue. We're not just talking about the repercussions for him if he speaks out against China. Hundreds even thousands of other people are affected financially and otherwise by what he says, not all of them are millionaires either.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by md21 View Post

                          It can be, but Morey abandoned the issue.

                          I am all for criticizing LeBron here, but he's also been saying this whole time that he wants to be a billionaire athlete. And the reaction from the right is to me just concern trolling to shut him down from complaining about Trump or police brutality or whatever his issue dujour is.
                          The pushback has come from everyone, not just the right.

                          It's called common sense. You used to have some

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by boomie View Post

                            The pushback has come from everyone, not just the right.

                            It's called common sense. You used to have some
                            Lmaoooo. You guys are funny. You’re trying to hold LeBron more accountable for China and HK than your president.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by md21 View Post

                              For LeBron it is a far more complex issue. We're not just talking about the repercussions for him if he speaks out against China. Hundreds even thousands of other people are affected financially and otherwise by what he says, not all of them are millionaires either.
                              Which is why he should have said nothing or something better. Instead he spoke out against millions of Americans and the exact freedoms he claims to be fighting for.

                              You know what people said to MLK? They said, you're endangering the lives of other African Americans with your "radicalism" and protests. LeBron is acting just like people who said that to MLK. He's acting just like the owners acted to Kaepernick. The NFL owners actions helped the entire league, but they were still wrong.
                              Last edited by General_Grantlocks; 10-15-2019, 09:11 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by sctrojan View Post
                                demonstrations in Hong Kong which began with the aim to oppose the introduction of the Fugitive Offenders amendment bill proposed by the Hong Kong government.If enacted, the bill would allow local authorities to detain and extradite criminal fugitives who are wanted in territories with which Hong Kong does not currently have extradition agreements, including Taiwan and mainland China.



                                So tOSU and our board repubs now are soft on crime?
                                You're a fucking moron

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X