Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump makes way for Turkey operation against Kurds in Syria

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

    Agreed. So what was with the "A republic is it's people response"?
    A federal crime committed against a US citizen is a crime committed against the US.

    Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

    Good for them! Of course there is no formal way to kick out a NATO member. Do the Democratic Socialists have a stance on the Turkish occupation of Syria? I'm betting they couldn't come up with a statement on it.

    Of Course Congress’ Vote to Recognize the Armenian Genocide Was Political
    That doesn’t mean it was cynical.




    See this is the kind of stuff that annoys me.
    The last meeting I went to, everyone was spinning their wheels over Iran and how the Houthis weren't a case of imperialism. So I can understand how frustrating it can be. But at the same time, you're not going to win anyone over by trying to brow beat them into believing that the US is a victim in this. It is, at best, a willing participant and, at worst, the evil empire.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Spartan View Post
      A federal crime committed against a US citizen is a crime committed against the US.
      Agreed. I'm just saying a federal crime against 8,977+ US citizens is orders of magnitude greater than a federal crime committed against 1 US citizen.

      The last meeting I went to, everyone was spinning their wheels over Iran and how the Houthis weren't a case of imperialism. So I can understand how frustrating it can be. But at the same time, you're not going to win anyone over by trying to brow beat them into believing that the US is a victim in this. It is, at best, a willing participant and, at worst, the evil empire.
      Your misstating my position. I just want them to have a standard and hold everyone to it. Not one standard for the US and different standards for everyone else.

      Why wasn't Iran and the Houthis a case of imperialism? Its clearly a intervention by Iran into the affairs of Yemen. Why is that anymore okay than Saudi Arabia involvement or our help to Saudi Arabia? America should get out so the Kurds can fight off ethnic cleansing from Turkey, ISIS, and the Assad regime by themselves but its okay for the Houthis to receive support from Iran? If it's adventurism/interventionism/imperialism for the US to get involved in foreign countries why isn't it when Iran, Russia, Turkey, etc do it? If its a crime for Israel to annex land in Palestine why then can Russia annex Crimea from Ukraine without protests from the Left?

      Explain to me how this isn't imperialism.

      https://apnews.com/62642940e3fe4b1b87323decc9487fea

      BAGHDAD (AP) — The day after anti-government protests erupted in Iraq, Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani flew into Baghdad late at night and took a helicopter to the heavily fortified Green Zone, where he surprised a group of top security officials by chairing a meeting in place of the prime minister.

      The arrival of Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force and the architect of its regional security apparatus, signaled Tehran’s concern over the protests, which had erupted across the capital and in Iraq’s Shiite heartland, and included calls for Iran to stop meddling in the country.

      “We in Iran know how to deal with protests,” Soleimani told the Iraqi officials, according to two senior officials familiar with the meeting who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the secret gathering. “This happened in Iran and we got it under control.”
      Here we have an Iranian general sitting in for Iraq's Prime Minister telling Iraqi security officials how they should deal with anti-government protests which in part had to do with Iran's influence of Iraq.
      Last edited by TTURedRaider; 10-31-2019, 06:27 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

        Agreed. I'm just saying a federal crime against 8,977+ US citizens is orders of magnitude greater than a federal crime committed against 1 US citizen.
        So what's the number? At what point do you value an American citizen's life enough to put tens of thousands more citizens and millions of locals in harm's way?

        Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
        Your misstating my position. I just want them to have a standard and hold everyone to it. Not one standard for the US and different standards for everyone else.

        Why wasn't Iran and the Houthis a case of imperialism? Its clearly a intervention by Iran into the affairs of Yemen. Why is that anymore okay than Saudi Arabia involvement or our help to Saudi Arabia? America should get out so the Kurds can fight off ethnic cleansing from Turkey, ISIS, and the Assad regime by themselves but its okay for the Houthis to receive support from Iran? If it's adventurism/interventionism/imperialism for the US to get involved in foreign countries why isn't it when Iran, Russia, Turkey, etc do it? If its a crime for Israel to annex land in Palestine why then can Russia annex Crimea from Ukraine without protests from the Left?

        Explain to me how this isn't imperialism.

        https://apnews.com/62642940e3fe4b1b87323decc9487fea



        Here we have an Iranian general sitting in for Iraq's Prime Minister telling Iraqi security officials how they should deal with anti-government protests which in part had to do with Iran's influence of Iraq.
        Their argument, which I disagreed with, was that they were only defending minority rights that were already endangered by imperialist Saudis

        What I don't disagree with is the goal of protesting. That is too voice displeasure to people with the power to affect change. In this case, it would be to make it clear that we disapprove of Iranian adventurism in the region, which we do. However, what would be the outcome? With a highly impulsive narcissist who craves validation and already believes that a war in the region would be trivial, what would be the outcome? Is that outcome worth preventing further adventurism by Iran in the short term? As much as one might want to hold everyone to an idealized standard, some things aren't worth the cost.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Spartan View Post
          So what's the number? At what point do you value an American citizen's life enough to put tens of thousands more citizens and millions of locals in harm's way?
          When the criminal action kills/wounds more Americans than say the War of 1812 and starts to approach Mexican-American War status I think you have to consider it. What about you? Does a number exist? Would they have to be attacking San Diego directly for you to say okay that does it?

          Their argument, which I disagreed with, was that they were only defending minority rights that were already endangered by imperialist Saudis

          What I don't disagree with is the goal of protesting. That is too voice displeasure to people with the power to affect change. In this case, it would be to make it clear that we disapprove of Iranian adventurism in the region, which we do. However, what would be the outcome? With a highly impulsive narcissist who craves validation and already believes that a war in the region would be trivial, what would be the outcome? Is that outcome worth preventing further adventurism by Iran in the short term? As much as one might want to hold everyone to an idealized standard, some things aren't worth the cost.
          I figured it would be something like that. But I could argue we were doing that by partnering with Syrian Kurds defending minority rights and protecting them from the danger of Turkish imperialists. But instead they say we should show solidarity with the Socialist Kurds and also US should abandon them.

          In this case, protests could have made clear that we disapprove of Iranian and Russian adventurism in the region. They could have easily done that while the Nobel Peace Prize winning President who didn't want a war with Iran was in office. What a sight that would have been anti-war and showing solidarity with Iranian and Russian citizens who didn't think their governments should be looking for foreign monsters to slay. Protesting to voice displeasure at adventurism by any country seems a fairly low basic standard for the anti-war/anti-imperialism people to set.

          Reuters - Exclusive: Iran intervenes to prevent ousting of Iraqi prime minister - sources
          Last edited by TTURedRaider; 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM.

          Comment


          • Also...

            Bradley fighting vehicles deployed as part of Operation Turn the F**k Around and Go Back To Syria

            Comment


            • This thread got way better after I left.

              My favorite part is everyone talking about the opinions of Kurds, whereas I was actually with those people.

              Also, the questioning of blowing up LCF is comical, but it's to be expected from all the military strategists on this board. If y'all only knew what other shit we demolished in the past year.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                Obama armed various groups and got us involved. Thus our bases in Syria that Trump forced us to retreat from. What was the end game for Obama? We use the Kurds to defeat ISIS and then what?
                Don't forget he also blatantly lied on national television about US involvement in Syria, and a week later it came to light we had 10,000 troops on the ground supporting Syrian operations. But, yeah...The previous administration is completely innocent in the entire Syria debacle.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

                  Obama armed various groups and got us involved. Thus our bases in Syria that Trump forced us to retreat from. What was the end game for Obama? We use the Kurds to defeat ISIS and then what?
                  That's not really how it went down, but still...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X