Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Democratic Party

Wash Post - Democrats and their voters have shifted left as 2020 nears. They’re betting the rest of the country follows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-and-their-voters-have-lurched-left-as-2020-nears-theyre-betting-the-rest-of-the-country-follows/2019/01/22/ba2e9800-1b55-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html

For years, Democratic presidential candidates have been skittish about taking positions that were considered too liberal, for fear of scaring off moderates and independent voters. That caution seems to be gone, along with soul-searching about making explicit appeals to conservative voters.

It has been replaced by confidence — whether real or mistaken — that a more liberal and populist Democratic Party can form a majority out of voters who either support the sweeping changes candidates have proposed or will vote for anyone other than President Trump.

NY Times - What Democrats Could Lose With Their Left Turn

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/u...ependents.html

One defining feature of the Democratic primary so far has been the party’s leftward turn. In recent debates, candidates have supported policies like offering health insurance to undocumented immigrants, and commenters have warned about the potential electoral penalty of repelling persuadable voters.

Political science research suggests that moderates generally fare better in elections, but much of our current understanding is speculative: There has been little directly relevant data on how voters are reacting in the moment. Are swing voters being put off? Are Democratic voters excited and more likely to stick with their party?

The embrace of progressivism solidifies support among Democratic survey respondents when thinking about the 2020 general election. But it repels independents, with a negative effect that is stronger and clearer than the signs of enthusiasm generated among Democrats.

But repubs are just fine with their right turn with Trump?

Why is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

Why is that ok?
      That’s the thing. Trump’s policy positions, assuming he actually cares about them at all, are literally all over the place. I don’t think Trump personally cares for many Republicans or Democrats. He just uses the GOP as a rhetorical device. He knows his base hates Democrats so he blasts them nonstop. They’re his bogeymen. Trump’s playbook isn’t all that complex. Nor is Trump as a person. He cares about one thing. Donald J. Trump. Everyone else is expendable.

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
        Wash Post - Democrats and their voters have shifted left as 2020 nears. They’re betting the rest of the country follows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-and-their-voters-have-lurched-left-as-2020-nears-theyre-betting-the-rest-of-the-country-follows/2019/01/22/ba2e9800-1b55-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html

NY Times - What Democrats Could Lose With Their Left Turn

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/u...ependents.html
        It's either that or keep following the Republicans to the right as they have been for the past 30 years.

Comment

There’s no doubt that they have moved left. It’s an overreaction to the movement right in economic policy since the 70s that really has created a massive wealth gap.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
            There’s no doubt that they have moved left. It’s an overreaction to the movement right in the global economic policy since the 70s that really has created massive wealth.
            Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by DynastyFSU2 View Post

Fixed

You can thank globalism for that.

FWIW, over the last 20 years Europe has had declining inequality while the US has gone up.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...all-once-again

Comment

The Trumpers have pushed me away from the Republican party and into voting for anyone who can beat Trump or his supporters.

I have generally voted about 40%Dem, 30% R, 30%I. Going forward I will vote against anyone who has any connection to Trump whatsoever.

For the Republican party ever to get votes from me again, the Dems are going to have to trot out an actual Marxist or the Republicans would have to find an actual fiscal conservative with no ties to Trump.

In other words, it's more about what the Republicans have done wrong than anything the Dems are doing policy wise for me.
                Last edited by General_Grantlocks; 10-04-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Grantlocks View Post
                  The Trumpers have pushed me away from the Republican party and into voting for anyone who can beat Trump or his supporters.

I have generally voted about 40%Dem, 30% R, 30%I. Going forward I will vote against anyone who has any connection to Trump whatsoever.

For the Republican party ever to get votes from me again, the Dems are going to have to trot out an actual Marxist or the Republicans would have to find an actual fiscal conservative with no ties to Trump.

In other words, it's more about what the Republicans have done wrong than anything the Dems are doing policy wise for me.
                  I began souring on the GOP in the late 90s. When I saw how the GOP treated Colin Powell, I cringed. When I watched McCain be cowed into pandering to the Religious Right, I cringed. But, I never thought that they would go with a guy like Trump. It will take a generation to clean the GOP of his stench. Like you, TTU and many of my friends who, at one point counted themselves Republicans, I will not vote for any candidate with any ties to Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
                    There’s no doubt that they have moved left. It’s an overreaction to the movement right in economic policy since the 70s that really has created a massive wealth gap.
                    What a strange coincidence how all that occurred at the same time that Democrats were changing their rules to accept political donations from corporations and Jimmy Carter abandoning labor unions. So... Coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post

It's either that or keep following the Republicans to the right as they have been for the past 30 years.
                      Then make the argument for it so independents will go along with you. In order to convince you have to persuade and Democrats don't appear to be doing that.

According to the poll reference in the NYT article the leftward shift results in -6% support for a Democrat in 2020 among independents, +3% support among Democrats, and does little for mobilization. This does not seem like a recipe for success.

The argument I've heard for the leftward shift. Is Republicans have moved right. Also need to secure the Democratic base to ensure they will come out and vote. If Trump isn't enough for the base to come out and vote for you despite some policy squabbles then the base makes the good the enemy of the perfect. If you want to address the shift... address the rightward shift but make the actual argument and win people over!

Also pick a few things you really want to accomplish because we can't remake every bit of society all at once in your image. Obama only got a few things before the House flipped on him.

- Address Climate Change (carbon tax etc)
                      - Replace private healthcare insurance with a government-run system
                      - Establishing free public college for all children from working=class families
                      - Decriminalize unauthorized border crossings
                      - Expanding undocumented immigrants' access to government services
                      - Ultra Millionaire Tax
                      - Overturning Citizens United
                      - Getting rid of the Electoral College
                      - Getting rid of gerrymandering

I don't think you can get that all done in one go.

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

Why is that ok?
                        Except Trump's pretty much a centrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollaski View Post

Except Trump's pretty much a centrist.
                          Trump is Reagan doing the quiet things out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

Then make the argument for it so independents will go along with you. In order to convince you have to persuade and Democrats don't appear to be doing that.

According to the poll reference in the NYT article the leftward shift results in -6% support for a Democrat in 2020 among independents, +3% support among Democrats, and does little for mobilization. This does not seem like a recipe for success.

The argument I've heard for the leftward shift. Is Republicans have moved right. Also need to secure the Democratic base to ensure they will come out and vote. If Trump isn't enough for the base to come out and vote for you despite some policy squabbles then the base makes the good the enemy of the perfect. If you want to address the shift... address the rightward shift but make the actual argument and win people over!

Also pick a few things you really want to accomplish because we can't remake every bit of society all at once in your image. Obama only got a few things before the House flipped on him.

- Address Climate Change (carbon tax etc)
                            - Replace private healthcare insurance with a government-run system
                            - Establishing free public college for all children from working=class families
                            - Decriminalize unauthorized border crossings
                            - Expanding undocumented immigrants' access to government services
                            - Ultra Millionaire Tax
                            - Overturning Citizens United
                            - Getting rid of the Electoral College
                            - Getting rid of gerrymandering

I don't think you can get that all done in one go.
                            Sure, if I were a Democrat. Except I'm not. I don't want Independents or anyone else to vote Democrat. I consider it an unredeemable brand.

As for the rest, I have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post

Sure, if I were a Democrat. Except I'm not. I don't want Independents or anyone else to vote Democrat. I consider it an unredeemable brand.

As for the rest, I have been.
                              You're an independent, who is your candidate? What is their platform?

Comment

Working...
                              X