Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel Kills Palestinians and Western Liberals Shrug. Their Humanitarianism Is a Sham

Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Kills Palestinians and Western Liberals Shrug. Their Humanitarianism Is a Sham

On Friday, the IDF shot an astonishing 773 people with live ammunition, killing 17 of them. Yet a spokesperson for the IDF bragged that Israeli troops “arrived prepared” and “everything was accurate. … We know where every bullet landed.”

Where are the righteously angry op-eds from Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times, or Richard Cohen of the Washington Post, or David Aaronovitch of The Times of London, demanding concrete action against the human rights abusers of the IDF?

And where is the appeal from former U.S. Secretary of State and arch-interventionistMadeleine Albright for economic and financial sanctions against the state of Israel? For an arms embargo? For travel bans on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Lieberman, and IDF chief of staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eizenkot?

Their silence is deafening — and telling. Palestinians, it seems, have been so dehumanized that they don’t deserve a humanitarian intervention; their blood is cheap, their plight is unimportant, and, perhaps above all else, their killers are our friends.
    https://theintercept.com/2018/04/02/...tarian/?menu=1

Oh nothing to see here, just Glenn Greenwald attacking liberals again for something the conservatives are cheering on.

I'm assuming it was Greenwald. Reads like him. I will not click his link.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post
      Oh nothing to see here, just Glenn Greenwald attacking liberals again for something the conservatives are cheering on.

I'm assuming it was Greenwald. Reads like him. I will not click his link.
      Mehdi Hasan from Al Jazeera.

Of course conservatives cheer it on. There have been conservatives on this board who have advocated we do the same thing. The problem is that liberals, in having no reaction, are tacitly approving it. It's evidence of the myth that there's a real difference between the two in American politics outside of a few wedge issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan View Post

Mehdi Hasan from Al Jazeera.

Of course conservatives cheer it on. There have been conservatives on this board who have advocated we do the same thing. The problem is that liberals, in having no reaction, are tacitly approving it. It's evidence of the myth that there's a real difference between the two in American politics outside of a few wedge issues.
        Oh come on. Can't it also be that Trump is such a wild card that they are more concerned with him expanding Gitmo and torturing people in addition to playing chicken with NK on nukes?

I mean, it's terrible what's happening in the ME right now and I'm no fan of Israel, but what are we actually going to be able to do about it? Trump doesn't give a shit and knows by stroking Bibi's cock his base loves him.

Comment

Oh come on. Can't it also be that Trump is such a wild card that they are more concerned with him expanding Gitmo and torturing people in addition to playing chicken with NK on nukes?

I mean, it's terrible what's happening in the ME right now and I'm no fan of Israel, but what are we actually going to be able to do about it? Trump doesn't give a shit and knows by stroking Bibi's cock his base loves him.
          I get that Democrats are against Trump and what he stands for, and that is a laudable stance. But they need to say what they're for. If they can't walk and chew gum at the same time, they aren't capable of running this country.

Comment

I get that Democrats are against Trump and what he stands for, and that is a laudable stance. But they need to say what they're for. If they can't walk and chew gum at the same time, they aren't capable of running this country.
            And how do you intend on winning in 2018 and 2020 by being anti-Israel? That's the same as calling yourself a Satanist in the more hyper-evangelical parts of this country that you have to win in order to form an effective governing coalition.

And yes, I'm aware that stopping this isn't the same as being anti-Israel, but like that nuance will be understood by the morons who think there is a concerted effort by Obama and Soros to cancel Christmas.

Comment

First off, the article is bullshit. It is deliberately slanted to avoid addressing the aggression of the Palestinian's violations (throwing gasoline bombs and other objects) which precipitated this incident.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                First off, the article is bullshit. It is deliberately slanted to avoid addressing the aggression of the Palestinian's violations (throwing gasoline bombs and other objects) which precipitated this incident.
                I present Exhibit A as to why this is a losing issue for Democrats to take a stand on

Comment

And how do you intend on winning in 2018 and 2020 by being anti-Israel? That's the same as calling yourself a Satanist in the more hyper-evangelical parts of this country that you have to win in order to form an effective governing coalition.

And yes, I'm aware that stopping this isn't the same as being anti-Israel, but like that nuance will be understood by the morons who think there is a concerted effort by Obama and Soros to cancel Christmas.
                  If you don't stand up to Israel, regardless of the political consequences, what standing do you have in criticizing anyone for human rights abuses?

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                    Do you have a source for this that doesn't have an interest in vilifying the victims?

Comment

If you don't stand up to Israel, regardless of the political consequences, what standing do you have in criticizing anyone for human rights abuses?
                      Why aren't Democrats fixing ALL of the problems? I guess I'll vote for Jill Stein again...

They shouldn't take a stand because it will lose them in 2018 and 2020. But hey, while they are not in office, they can take comfort in knowing you appreciate them taking a stand. Meanwhile, the conservatives will continue aiding Bibi and the Palestinians will continue being slaughtered.

Comment

Why aren't Democrats fixing ALL of the problems? I guess I'll vote for Jill Stein again...

They shouldn't take a stand because it will lose them in 2018 and 2020. But hey, while they are not in office, they can take comfort in knowing you appreciate them taking a stand. Meanwhile, the conservatives will continue aiding Bibi and the Palestinians will continue being slaughtered.
                        Why aren't they? Why should I vote for a candidate who wants to perpetuate a problem?
                        ​​​​​​
                        If the Democrats lose in 2018 and 2020 because they lost the rounding error of Israel single issue voters who wouldn't have voted Republican anyways for criticizing a massacre, that means that they have a shitty platform and deserved to lose. But let me guess, that's the left's fault for not voting against our class interests, right? Why don't you just nominate an uncharismatic, arrogant, racist, interventionist centrist again? I'm sure that'll work this time.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat
                          Dude. Israel has a manifest destiny to displace Palestine, in its entirety. You know this as well as I. Have the Palestinians thrown gasoline bombs? Sure. Have they been met with superior firepower at every turn? Yes. Israel is slowly and deliberately taking more and more land until they achieve their goal. Democrats and Republicans alike sit on their hands because either they don’t care or, more importantly, they don’t want to offend wealthy Jewish donors who support Israel’s takeover of Palestine.

Comment

I love this thread so much.

Yeah Democrats don't care about foreign policy unless they can cast it all us Republicans screwing up or being warmongers. Basically anyone who is not America or has gained entry illegally to America does not matter unless it suits some argument for their domestic agenda. They just want to discuss how Republicans are nazis/white supremacists and how Trump is terrible. Basically they just want to say they are against evil IE Trump/Republicans and never explain what kind of policies they would actually put forth if they were put in power.

That said Progressives only seem to care about Palestinians. The Syrians, Yemeni, Kurds, Rohingya, Ukrainians, etc can all get murdered because it doesn't matter if people kill them but someone has to stand up to Israel.

So all we have to do is elect Democrats and the slaughter will stop. I don't seem to recall it being stopped under President Obama?
                            Last edited by TTURedRaider; 04-04-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Do you have a source for this that doesn't have an interest in vilifying the victims?
                              It's Al Jazeera. Have you EVER seen them write an article that doesn't vilify Israel?

Comment

Working...
                              X