Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

Regardless, the fact that Trump’s Alpha Male persona is a caricature of an Alpha Male stands. He’s deeply insecure. A true Alpha wouldn’t be so quick to respond on Twitter to every affront. He wouldn’t care.
    The whole term is stupid because it's one dimensional, but Trump does display many traditional "alpha male" characteristics. Insane levels of confidence, tendency to bully and demean subordinates, obsession with self image, etc. People seem to live under this delusion that "alpha males" are the cream of the crop and should be idolized, but the fact is, as they're commonly defined, alphas are significantly worse at being a functional member of society than betas on average.

Think about all of the most influential people in modern history, say the last 100 or so years. How many of those guys are brash, domineering, arrogant, etc? Very few, because as technology has progressed, intelligence has become more important than any other attribute, and intelligent people tend to be more empathetic, understanding, willing to compromise, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2

The whole term is stupid because it's one dimensional, but Trump does display many traditional "alpha male" characteristics. Insane levels of confidence, tendency to bully and demean subordinates, obsession with self image, etc. People seem to live under this delusion that "alpha males" are the cream of the crop and should be idolized, but the fact is, as they're commonly defined, alphas are significantly worse at being a functional member of society than betas on average.

Think about all of the most influential people in modern history, say the last 100 or so years. How many of those guys are brash, domineering, arrogant, etc? Very few, because as technology has progressed, intelligence has become more important than any other attribute, and intelligent people tend to be more empathetic, understanding, willing to compromise, etc.
      I view the whole Alpha/Beta thing with a bit of contempt. Most people are more complicated than this false dichotomy. Take the nerdiest guy you can think of... a Bill Gates type. If you put him in a tennis match with an athlete, he’s the Beta. But, put the athlete in a room full of computer nerds... they’re now the Alphas.

Those who define it as simplistically as “some” do here are simpletons.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Yeah, so was Adolf Hitler, and he was a faggy artist with mommy issues. Your definition of alpha male sucks, and Henry Kissinger is a piece of shit that should be burning in hell.
        There are different shades of the Alpha Male phenomenon, and frankly guys like Trump and Hitler are caricatures of that. The point I was making was that Trump, despite all his bluster, despite all his nonsense doesn't accomplish anything of significance, he's fools gold. Compare that to someone like Kissinger who actually accomplished something, end consequences be damned. I wouldn't want my future son to grow up to be the next Kissinger, but one has to admit the guy managed to get crap accomplished. Hitler on the other hand, didn't do diddly squat. He was a new version of Wilheim II, in other words, he was a bullshit artist that served as a flimsy fig leaf as more able men ran the country. Hitler was a saber rattler, but once he started trying to dictate military strategy, was made fun of by the general staff. He was a grease fire, and everyone knew it. The people that we should all truly hate are the people like Himmler and others, who sold an entire nation on an extremely flawed political philosophy. Alfred Speer and others made it possible for the German military elite to take over most of Europe, that's where the beef should lie, not with the meth addict in chief.

I've been reading a lot about Trump lately, and in one of the books I read, a former high level staffer described Trump's behavior as "How a poor person thinks rich people act". It's almost like Trump is trying to convince us of what he is, instead of being it. Whether it's gold plating everything, whether it's the multiple trophy wives that all eventually start looking like him after years of plastic surgery, it all feels like a giant billboard for a guy whose covering something. It's like deep inside he knows that despite being born with every possible advantage, he's a mediocre businessman that is seen as a joke by those with actual influence and pull in the community. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and others didn't have to do stupid Pizza Hut ads in order to stay afloat.

A true Alpha would be someone like Teddy Roosevelt, if you had to place that label on anyone. A guy who believed in the sanctity of his word, lived by a set code of ethics, and exhibited the positive traits that all of us should have.

Comment

Take any President and put them in a weight room with a bunch of NFL linebackers and they would quickly become a beta.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
          Last edited by FuqMizzou; 03-14-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canedude08 View Post

There are different shades of the Alpha Male phenomenon, and frankly guys like Trump and Hitler are caricatures of that. The point I was making was that Trump, despite all his bluster, despite all his nonsense doesn't accomplish anything of significance, he's fools gold. Compare that to someone like Kissinger who actually accomplished something, end consequences be damned. I wouldn't want my future son to grow up to be the next Kissinger, but one has to admit the guy managed to get crap accomplished. Hitler on the other hand, didn't do diddly squat. He was a new version of Wilheim II, in other words, he was a bullshit artist that served as a flimsy fig leaf as more able men ran the country. Hitler was a saber rattler, but once he started trying to dictate military strategy, was made fun of by the general staff. He was a grease fire, and everyone knew it. The people that we should all truly hate are the people like Himmler and others, who sold an entire nation on an extremely flawed political philosophy. Alfred Speer and others made it possible for the German military elite to take over most of Europe, that's where the beef should lie, not with the meth addict in chief.

I've been reading a lot about Trump lately, and in one of the books I read, a former high level staffer described Trump's behavior as "How a poor person thinks rich people act". It's almost like Trump is trying to convince us of what he is, instead of being it. Whether it's gold plating everything, whether it's the multiple trophy wives that all eventually start looking like him after years of plastic surgery, it all feels like a giant billboard for a guy whose covering something. It's like deep inside he knows that despite being born with every possible advantage, he's a mediocre businessman that is seen as a joke by those with actual influence and pull in the community. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and others didn't have to do stupid Pizza Hut ads in order to stay afloat.

A true Alpha would be someone like Teddy Roosevelt, if you had to place that label on anyone. A guy who believed in the sanctity of his word, lived by a set code of ethics, and exhibited the positive traits that all of us should have.
            well said!, hear! hear!

Comment

I would love to see Teddy Roosevelt's opinion on identity politics.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                I would love to see Teddy Roosevelt's opinion on identity politics.
                He would probably be disappointed that minorities are still considered second class citizens almost 100 years after his presidency. He'd probably feel that marginalization of a significant part of the population flies contrary to the interests of progressive thought. Then again, he'd probably be beyond upset that exploiting the environment is still socially acceptable, and that despite being far more advanced in regards to technology, we still depend on much of the same stuff that he had in his day.

Comment

He would probably be disappointed that minorities are still considered second class citizens almost 100 years after his presidency. He'd probably feel that marginalization of a significant part of the population flies contrary to the interests of progressive thought. Then again, he'd probably be beyond upset that exploiting the environment is still socially acceptable, and that despite being far more advanced in regards to technology, we still depend on much of the same stuff that he had in his day.
                  Link to a list of rights not afforded to minorities?

Comment

I already know your views, some of which I would agree with, some not so much. For instance, I think Teddy would be a huge proponent of personal responsibility, which flies in the face of contemporary progressive thought.

Comment

I already know your views, some of which I would agree with, some not so much. For instance, I think Teddy would be a huge proponent of personal responsibility, which flies in the face of contemporary progressive thought.
                      By Personal Responsibility you mean things like buying insurance for Obamacare so that you're indigent and depend on the public largess when you land up in the ER without insurance?

Why that Obama......what a conservative!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

By Personal Responsibility you mean things like buying insurance for Obamacare so that you're indigent and depend on the public largess when you land up in the ER without insurance?

Why that Obama......what a conservative!!!
                        Where is the intersection of personal responsibility and being forced by law to buy a product?

And further, where is the intersection of thinking and posting in your mind?

Clue: both are non-existent.

Comment

Where is the intersection of personal responsibility and being forced by law to buy a product?

And further, where is the intersection of thinking and posting in your mind?

Clue: both are non-existent.
                          You are forced to pay taxes - Obamacare is a Tax - signed Judge Roberts esq and SCOTUS.

Comment

Originally posted by sctrojan View Post

You are forced to pay taxes - Obamacare is a Tax - signed Judge Roberts esq and SCOTUS.

Comment

Teddy would also find it utterly abhorrent that corporations could depend on the modern welfare state(Too Big To Fail), while individuals are expected to "Pull themselves up by the bootstraps", despite the fact that the bootstraps of his day have been sold off. We live in a society in which an individual asking for help is seen as "Lazy", but corporations expect to be bailed out of their incompetence daily. I don't think the man responsible for breaking up monopolies would be cool with that. Frankly, I would kill to know what TR would think of Citizens United. Odds are he would probably blow a gasket.

Teddy believed in personal responsibility(as do I), but he also believed in equality of opportunity. You can't keep telling people "You can pull yourself up", but then torch the ladder that the person is grabbing for.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

Link to a list of rights not afforded to minorities?
                                You are so full of crap, it's almost comical. You realize that the White Citizens Councils of the 50s and 60s used to ask the same exact question, right? Just because something is on paper, doesn't make it true. We may not be having picnics in the town square as we hang the local Negro that dared to register to vote, but we as a society are still treating large parts of the population as second class citizens. Whether it is Laura Ingraham's nonsense with Lebron, whether it is the President of the United States calling citizens utilizing their first amendment rights "Sons of Bitches", it shows that society still views people like me as less than.

We could go full steam ahead into policies that disproportionately affect minorities, but I know damn well you don't want to have that conversation. Whether it is gerrymandering and voter suppression, redlining, police brutality, the failed war on drugs, unequal educational opportunities, etc., minorities(or the poor and working class minorities if you want to be specific) are starting off behind the eight ball. It's complete nonsense, and Dr. King said it perfectly when he stated that "Until we figure out how we are going to treat the poor and working class members of this society, it will never be truly free"

Comment

Working...
                                X