Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Idiot Generation

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/16/623...eneration.html

Before you lambast it please read it and then...discuss.
    Last edited by PBS; 10-08-2014, 07:02 PM.

I'd like to buy the author a beer. And toss another twist to his theory. His "Idiot Generation" are more likely to be can kickers. They want to kick the can back at the former generation and/or kick the can down the road to the next generation. They want to blame this country's troubles on the former generation and yet are instrumental in allowing our government to become more self-serving than ever. Also seem to have no problem passing the bill for all this gimme shit to the next generation.

Comment

I think part of it is that we are seeing the results of the long term use of Ritalin. Remember when they were being pumped full of this shit at an early age? "Little Johnny can't control his behavior. He has A.D.D." Science has shown that mind altering drugs + adolescence = recipe for disaster.

Comment

Generation X is credited with making bad music?

Comment

I want to believe that he is referring to late 80's- early 90's hair bands in which case I would have to agree.

Comment

Well what he qualifies as shitty music means a lot more to me than the other points he was trying to make. Not that his opinion piece was hard to understand but you can judge the man truly by what kind of music he finds shitty.

Comment

Look a member of an older generation shitting on a younger one. Bitching about the state of current affairs and putting it on the 18-30 yr olds. Same as it ever was.

I still don't see how the author objectively determined this generation is more self-absorbed than any before them.

I'm part of the generation that supposedly doesn't care about public affairs but I spend the vast majority of my time here on the Politics board.

In answer to the confused, contradictory, etc. I turn to Uncle Walt who was born in 1819. "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Comment

He provides examples. Perhaps you should read it again. TTU, of course there are exceptions. (Putting arm around your shoulder) Like Sean Maguire said to Will Hunting and I now say to you. "It's not your fault."

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
                  Look a member of an older generation shitting on a younger one. Bitching about the state of current affairs and putting it on the 18-30 yr olds. Same as it ever was.

I still don't see how the author objectively determined this generation is more self-absorbed than any before them.

I'm part of the generation that supposedly doesn't care about public affairs but I spend the vast majority of my time here on the Politics board.

In answer to the confused, contradictory, etc. I turn to Uncle Walt who was born in 1819. "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."
                  How old are you? I just assumed you were like 40 or something. Not that it matters, just figured you for a bit older.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                    I'd like to buy the author a beer. And toss another twist to his theory. His "Idiot Generation" are more likely to be can kickers. They want to kick the can back at the former generation and/or kick the can down the road to the next generation. They want to blame this country's troubles on the former generation and yet are instrumental in allowing our government to become more self-serving than ever. Also seem to have no problem passing the bill for all this gimme shit to the next generation.
                    The author identified as a Gen Xer and blames the generation before him and the generation after him.

I'm right at the end of the Millennial Generation and can be called Gen X depending on which metric you use. I don't think it really matters. Saying someone who is 33 belongs in the same generation as someone who is 18, at this point in time, is just silly. They're two entirely different people.

And for the love of god, can we stop blaming Millennials for the current state of the economy and politics? A very large portion of Gen Y wasn't even old enough to VOTE for Obama or any Rep or Senator in 2008, the class that passed ACA. So calling Gen Y the Obamacare Generation is just asinine. And the economy? Gen Y was entering the workforce right as the economy collapsed at the hands of Gen X and the Boomers. What in the fuck?

If you honestly believe Gen Y is the idiot generation then you're an idiot yourself. Giving up on an entire generation that is still really young is the epitome of being a self-righteous dickbag. I've gotten into generational debates on here before so I don't feel compelled to go through the points, but again, this is a generation that is largely 14-34. To imply that this group of people have managed to have a significant impact on the economic and political culture of this country is to admit that the Boomers and Gen X are such pathetically weak generations that they were so easily cast aside by the "Idiot Generation".

Comment

Originally posted by Debit Cash View Post
                      He provides examples. Perhaps you should read it again. TTU, of course there are exceptions. (Putting arm around your shoulder) Like Sean Maguire said to Will Hunting and I now say to you. "It's not your fault."
                      He just states Millennials are more self-absorbed than previous generation but he doesn't exactly prove it.

He has a few cherry picked data points from Pew polls and another from a Clark University poll. Then some anecdotal evidence from his community college instructor friend. Which is enough to declare the Idiot Generation and the most self-absorbed ever.

As to his bitching about Gen Y voting for Democrats, Obamacare Generation, etc.

According to The Economist, surveys of political attitudes among Millennials in the United Kingdom suggest increasingly liberal attitudes with regard to social and cultural issues, as well as higher overall support for classical liberal economic policies than preceding generations. They are more likely to support same-sex marriage and the legalization of marijuana.

The Economist parallels this with Millennials in the United States, whose attitudes are more supportive of social liberal policies and same-sex marriage relative to other demographics, though less supportive of abortion than their elders.
                      So basically Libertarains. Freak out about the social and cultural issues if you want. Look at what they think about economics.

Originally posted by DPR View Post

How old are you? I just assumed you were like 40 or something. Not that it matters, just figured you for a bit older.
                      Last edited by TTURedRaider; 10-08-2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

(To TTU's point)

As far as their political leanings I would love to think that it had a libertarian angle but I guess I'm just too skeptical. What I witnessed in 2008 was a cult of personality that I haven't seen since wet pantied girls screamed for N Sync. Take gay marriage for example. No one really talked about it until suddenly Obama "evolved" and then BAM, scores of young people ran out and purchased = sign stickers. You really need to convince me that my skepticism is misplaced because I believe it was all about the logos and coolness and very little about policy.

Comment

(To TTU's point)

As far as their political leanings I would love to think that it had a libertarian angle but I guess I'm just too skeptical. What I witnessed in 2008 was a cult of personality that I haven't seen since wet pantied girls screamed for N Sync. Take gay marriage for example. No one really talked about it until suddenly Obama "evolved" and then BAM, scores of young people ran out and purchased = sign stickers. You really need to convince me that my skepticism is misplaced because I believe it was all about the logos and coolness and very little about policy.
                          Millenials or Generation Y has been defined as anyone born from the early 1980s to the early 2000s. I get that your pissed off with how the 2008 election turned out. But only the people born 1990 and before were allow to vote in that one. Many were voting for the first time. Who did you vote for President the first time? Still think it was a good pick?

People were talking about gay marriage before Obama. I thought it should be done away with before he "evolved". He only "evolved" because Biden forced it. Young people didn't run out and purchase = sign stickers. The most a majority did was put a = sign on their facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc as a sign of solidarity. I think the whole pro-gay marriage thing started out of indifference to people being gay. The was just a lack of concern about people being homosexuals. So they are gay who cares. Then you realize you have met or had interactions with gays/lesbians. They seemed alright. I'm not saying churches have to marry them but why can't they be there at the hospital bed when their bf/gf is dying? Most people I know have seen their parents or friends parents get divorced so the whole sanctity of the institution of marriage argument doesn't hold a lot of weight.

The 2008 election was about we let Bush and Republicans be in charge for a while let's try something else. Bush got us in Afghanistan and Iraq. We found no WMDs in Iraq. Which was a scandal and got people talking about impeachment. I mean going into the election the Democrat candidate who ever that was going to benefit from the Anti-Bush/Republican boost. Why not give the young Democratic Senator who hasn't been in Washington that long a shot after having Bush the 2nd? I think it was similar to the 1976 election. The Watergate scandal with Republican President Nixon was still fresh. People that I've talked to thought why not go with this Governor from Georgia who isn't a DC guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post

Millenials or Generation Y has been defined as anyone born from the early 1980s to the early 2000s. I get that your pissed off with how the 2008 election turned out. But only the people born 1990 and before were allow to vote in that one. Many were voting for the first time. Who did you vote for President the first time? Still think it was a good pick?

People were talking about gay marriage before Obama. I thought it should be done away with before he "evolved". He only "evolved" because Biden forced it. Young people didn't run out and purchase = sign stickers. The most a majority did was put a = sign on their facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc as a sign of solidarity. I think the whole pro-gay marriage thing started out of indifference to people being gay. The was just a lack of concern about people being homosexuals. So they are gay who cares. Then you realize you have met or had interactions with gays/lesbians. They seemed alright. I'm not saying churches have to marry them but why can't they be there at the hospital bed when their bf/gf is dying? Most people I know have seen their parents or friends parents get divorced so the whole sanctity of the institution of marriage argument doesn't hold a lot of weight.

The 2008 election was about we let Bush and Republicans be in charge for a while let's try something else. Bush got us in Afghanistan and Iraq. We found no WMDs in Iraq. Which was a scandal and got people talking about impeachment. I mean going into the election the Democrat candidate who ever that was going to benefit from the Anti-Bush/Republican boost. Why not give the young Democratic Senator who hasn't been in Washington that long a shot after having Bush the 2nd? I think it was similar to the 1976 election. The Watergate scandal with Republican President Nixon was still fresh. People that I've talked to thought why not go with this Governor from Georgia who isn't a DC guy.

Hey debit, if anything in this thread needs to be re read, it's this post here. Take your time with it.

Comment

I think part of it is that we are seeing the results of the long term use of Ritalin. Remember when they were being pumped full of this shit at an early age? "Little Johnny can't control his behavior. He has A.D.D." Science has shown that mind altering drugs + adolescence = recipe for disaster.
                              That might have some merit, and that's why stimulant-based ADD/ADHD medicine in children declined rapidly over the past decade. A lot of people scoff at the idea of ADD & ADHD, and to a point they're right, but as science realizes the effects of medicine on the condition, science also realizes the condition is much more common than ever believed. According to some basic statistics at an ADD/ADHD research clinic called "FOCUS", the largest group of diagnosed individuals are retired people. The over-diagnosis of children over the past 20 years or so was a major problem, and was recognized by the medical field across western society and it's reflected in the constant changes to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) which released its fifth edition last year - the first in over a decade.

When we grew up, ADD/ADHD wasn't considered a "legit" condition, and was looked at as something only the really bad kids had. Unfortunately, most "fidgety" or "overly active" kids were missed along the way and learned how to deal with their lack of focus the hard way. They immersed themselves in a task and figured out how to block out distractions the best they could. Fast forward to retirement, and people that were fidgety, active learners growing up no longer have significant tasks to keep their minds focused. They rearrange their house on a weekly basis and read 4-5 books at a time. And, now they're going to centers like FOCUS only to find out they have a form ADD/ADHD

Comment

Working...
                              X