Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here has restained their own deck?

Mine desperately needs it and I always like learning new things.

Suggestions/advice?

Originally posted by Foster4Prez View Post
    Mine desperately needs it and I always like learning new things.

Suggestions/advice?
    Don’t do it in the rain. Don’t die.

Thats all I’ve got. Seriously though, look up some videos on YouTube. I fixed a fridge one time that way, and I’m less mechanically inclined than your average 10 year old girl.

Comment

I've built my own deck and re-stained it. What condition is yours in?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
        I've built my own deck and re-stained it. What condition is yours in?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        This is the bench but the rest of the deck is in similar shape.

Comment

Lots of variables. Assuming it's been done before, do you know what type was used before?

Comment

Ah, that pic helps.

Simplist method would be to select a stain/sealer that can be applied with a garden sprayer and give it time to dry.

Comment

Let someone capable, like your wife's boyfriend, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                Lots of variables. Assuming it's been done before, do you know what type was used before?
                No clue what was used before (if anything). Only been in the house a little over a year.

Ah, that pic helps.

Simplist method would be to select a stain/sealer that can be applied with a garden sprayer and give it time to dry.
                Do you have to use stripper/cleaner? I seems like there is next to nothing on the deck already.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash View Post
                  Let someone capable, like your wife's boyfriend, do it.
                  He's too busy.

Comment

No clue what was used before (if anything). Only been in the house a little over a year.

Do you have to use stripper/cleaner? I seems like there is next to nothing on the deck already.
                    Do you have a power washer?

Power wash it, let it dry for a few days and then apply the stain with either a spray gun or a brush. A brush is a lot messier but it also doesn't allow the stain to flow around in the air and possibly hit your house.

No matter what you do the coats are usually only good for 2-3 years. My little kids would ride their tricycles on the deck so for me it was a yearly process.

Also use good stain, don't use Home Depot's Behr..... I think I went with Cabot's which you can pick up at Ace Hardware.

Comment

If the bench is any indication, no stripper should be necessary. Clean it good though, with deck wash or other mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. Allow to dry before applying the new product. Choose a fairly liquid product that will work well with the garden sprayer and apply liberally. Saturate if you will. And just allow to dry and enjoy another x years of trouble free use. Depending on how busy the traffic is on your deck, 3 years should be a minimum, over 5 possible.

Comment

If the bench is any indication, no stripper should be necessary. Clean it good though, with deck wash or other mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. Allow to dry before applying the new product. Choose a fairly liquid product that will work well with the garden sprayer and apply liberally. Saturate if you will. And just allow to dry and enjoy another x years of trouble free use. Depending on how busy the traffic is on your deck, 3 years should be a minimum, over 5 possible.
                        With kids?

Comment

Do you have a power washer?

Power wash it, let it dry for a few days and then apply the stain with either a spray gun or a brush. A brush is a lot messier but it also doesn't allow the stain to flow around in the air and possibly hit your house.

No matter what you do the coats are usually only good for 2-3 years. My little kids would ride their tricycles on the deck so for me it was a yearly process.

Also use good stain, don't use Home Depot's Behr..... I think I went with Cabot's which you can pick up at Ace Hardware.
                          Don't have a power washer but get a pretty good spray with the hose. Think that's good enough for washing? Or should I get my dad to bring his up next time he visits the little ones?

Also, I have a stone patio under the deck. I assume it would be a good idea to cover that before staining, right?

Comment

Don't have a power washer but get a pretty good spray with the hose. Think that's good enough for washing? Or should I get my dad to bring his up next time he visits the little ones?

Also, I have a stone patio under the deck. I assume it would be a good idea to cover that before staining, right?
                            Yes, definitely cover the patio and anything near the deck\siding of your house because that stuff is a pain to get off. I prefer a power washer because it seems to open the pores of the wood so the stain can get in deeper. You'd probably be fine just using the hose to make sure that it is clean. Obviously also wear long heavy duty gloves as I'm not lying, that crap is hard to get off of skin, concrete, siding, etc.
                            Last edited by FuqMizzou; 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

With kids?

That's because you used the paint on shit instead of the soaker stuff. But what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X