X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODT: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13

Official Card:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (G1 Climax 28 Winner)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
    Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito

Grudge Match
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White (w/Gedo)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori

IWGP United States Championship
    Cody (c) vs. Juice Robinson

IWGP Tag Team Championship
    Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tonga Roa) {c} vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) {2018 World Tag League} vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

RPW British Heavyweight Championship
    Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (w/TAKA Michinoku)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) {c} vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH w/Rocky Romero) {2018 Junior Tag League} vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Shingo Takagi)

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay

PRE-SHOW: Gauntlet Match to determine #1 Contenders for the NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Championships at NEW YEARS DASH !!
    Most Violent Players (Togi Makabe & Toru Yano) & Rysuke Taguchi
    Yuji Nagata, Jeff Cobb, & David Finlay Jr.
    CHAOS (Best Friends {Beretta & Chuckie T.} & Hirooki Goto
    Suzuki-gun (Killer Elite Squad {Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.} & Minoru Suzuki)
    THE ELITE (Hangman Page, Yujiro Takahashi, & Marty Scurll)

Then there is this...just incredible.

Comment

I should be able to watch it live, cause its Friday night/Saturday morning here, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Pollaski View Post
        I should be able to watch it live, cause its Friday night/Saturday morning here, right?
        Thursday/Friday. New Year Dash is Friday/Saturday.

Comment

No. Thursday night/Friday morning. Remember, Japan is like 14 hours ahead of us...so our Thursday January 3rd at 11:59pm ET, is their Friday January 4th at 1:59 pm...

Comment

Fuck, for some reason I thought Friday was the 3rd.

Guess I'm watching saturday morning and avoiding spoilers.

Comment

I expect The Elite to be wearing AEW merch. Khan needs to be in it for the long haul for this to have any success. We need a viable alternative to where TNA failed and ROH refused to step up.

Also... fuck I have to get my body synced up to waking up around 1am and that is 36 hours away.

Comment

Fuck Jay White

Comment

So are The Elite leaving NJPW? Or is AEW just their stateside promotion while they continue to work NJPW?

Comment

So are The Elite leaving NJPW? Or is AEW just their stateside promotion while they continue to work NJPW?
                    It could be both.

Cody is the EVP and will be the Executive Producer for the TV show (which is supposedly going to be two hours. Can't confirm but it's a channel with wrestling history---meaning it has shown wrestling at some point in the past).

The Young Bucks will handle gorilla and timing, along with booking (which, if Cody is the EVP/EP, wouldn't he be the head booker with the Bucks as his assistants?)

Hangman Page, BJ Whitmer, and Christopher Daniels will be the agents/producers. I imagine the Bucks will also handle that as well.

TV, I assume won't start until April. Jim Ross really is getting up there and no offense to him, seemed off when doing the last live New Japan show. Unfortunately, Mike Tenay is retired. I would want both on TV.

I would imagine that AEW would offer New Japan dates for its stars or up-and-coming talent in exchange for Omega to appear. Seeing that they are all a tight-knit circle, and Omega's contract is due to expire at the end of the month, I could see Omega asking for that. Of course, Omega could still consider New Japan his home base and only work AEW when New Japan is off. That was what Great Muta wanted to do in the 90's but Bischoff didn't view him as a commodity.

Comment

Originally posted by nutt View Post

It could be both.

Cody is the EVP and will be the Executive Producer for the TV show (which is supposedly going to be two hours. Can't confirm but it's a channel with wrestling history---meaning it has shown wrestling at some point in the past).

The Young Bucks will handle gorilla and timing, along with booking (which, if Cody is the EVP/EP, wouldn't he be the head booker with the Bucks as his assistants?)

Hangman Page, BJ Whitmer, and Christopher Daniels will be the agents/producers. I imagine the Bucks will also handle that as well.

TV, I assume won't start until April. Jim Ross really is getting up there and no offense to him, seemed off when doing the last live New Japan show. Unfortunately, Mike Tenay is retired. I would want both on TV.

I would imagine that AEW would offer New Japan dates for its stars or up-and-coming talent in exchange for Omega to appear. Seeing that they are all a tight-knit circle, and Omega's contract is due to expire at the end of the month, I could see Omega asking for that. Of course, Omega could still consider New Japan his home base and only work AEW when New Japan is off. That was what Great Muta wanted to do in the 90's but Bischoff didn't view him as a commodity.
                      Lot of smart guys in that group that know psychology and put on a show. If they have a few with good business heads, and this could be a pretty good promotion. Definitely giving it a shot. I strongly doubt itll compete with WWE in terms of market share, but it might become big enough to at least give them a swift kick in the ass and make them rethink about doing things.
                      Last edited by Pollaski; 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Lot of smart guys in that group that know psychology and put on a show. They have a few with good business heads, and this could be a pretty good promotion. Definitely giving it a shot. I strongly doubt itll compete with WWE in terms of market share, but it might become big enough to at least give them a swift kick in the ass and make them rethink about doing things.
                        A lot of history in a sense that wrestling in America has been beyond a territorial sense in the last 35 years. WWF/WWE has been the trendsetter and the standalone, whereas companies merged or WWF/WWE bought them out... or simply went out of business.....

When WWF decided to expand beyond the system, a slow glimpse of what happened.....

WWF purchased Georgia Championship Wrestling and folded the company. It kept five people, giving the Briscos full-time jobs for life (Jack left less than a year later, went to the Carolinas, then to Florida, and shortly retired), and the others used mainly as enhancement talent. They practically bought the TV time for this. The WWF eventually purchased Stampede Wrestling from the Hart Family along with Maple Leaf Wrestling from the Tunney family. The deals were mainly for market penetration and was to be for long-term/lifetime jobs for the company. (Hart Foundation and Bulldogs were part of the agreement with Stampede and Stu, Jack Tunney was to be a figurehead President for the WWF and local Toronto promoter but was withholding revenue from booked events when the Ontario books were audited and he was fired).

Jim Crockett Promotions, originally Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, eventually ended up purchasing most of the NWA Mainstays: Championship Wrestling from Florida, Mid-South Wrestling (which had re-branded in its final year to Universal Wrestling Federation in it's attempt to go national), and Central States Wrestling (and it's sister promotion the St. Louis Wrestling Club). Of course in the end, Ted Turner bought the dying promotion and it became WCW. More on that shortly.

The American Wrestling Association, Continental Wrestling Association, and World Class Championship Wrestling formed a pre-dominant three-brand alliance of national/territorial alliances. CWA ran the largest territory in mileage sense, including Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama (after swallowing up Southeast Championship Wrestling), Kentucky, and Southern Indiana, World Class ran Ohio and Texas, while AWA covered most of the Great Lakes and Mountain States, as well as California and Nevada. This was to be the United States Wrestling Association, which eventually folded into the CWA, as the AWA pulled out (Verne realizing he no longer had total control and had to agree with Fritz, Jarrett, and Lawler). Von Erich eventually sold WCCW to Jarrett and Lawler, which led to Dallas and Memphis offices for the USWA. Bill Dundee ran the Dallas branch, which eventually folded and the talent was either let go or moved to Memphis. AWA ends up folding in 1991, six months after it's last show in December 1990. The USWA would be the last surviving territory, eventually shutting its own doors in November 1997.

These territories ended up folding: Pacific Northwest Wrestling, Western States & Sports (NWA Amarillo - Funks), Southwest Championship Wrestling (Blanchard - San Antonio), Houston Wrestling (Paul Boesch), Big Time Wrestling (Michigan/Ohio - Sheik), Hollywood Wrestling (LeBell), Pacific Coast Athletic Corporation (San Francisco - Roy Shire).

With all of this said, Turner attempted to make World Championship Wrestling a viable alternative when purchased in November 1988. The plan was to phase the National Wrestling Alliance name out as it seemed to be the losing name (simply due to Crockett's branding of all titles NWA). This didn't happen until January of 1991. By then, from 1991 thru 1993, WCW hemorrhaged money and Turner Broadcasting executives wanted to shut the company down. Eric Bischoff took over and the story wrote itself: from losing $15 million one year to making $60 million in profit within three years (1994-1997). Of course, that $60 million would turn from black ink to red ink again three years later, showing the company somehow mismanaged.

When Vince McMahon phased out Jim Barnett, Barnett's last approach was Ted Turner after his no-compete was up. Barnett, Turner, and Dusty Rhodes had a sitdown with a major, financial advisor (who is still unknown or name was never brought up as two of the three parties are no longer alive). Despite production costs, lease agreements, and other expenses, it was discovered in 2004 that Turner would lose $50 million in 2005 if he made an attempt. Turner decided against.

It has been said that the Khan family would lose $100 million in 2019 just setting up. It took WCW six years (from 1989 till 1995) to be on par with the WWF. Ironically, they were out of business six years later. Market penetration was the key then. Now, it's household/social media penetration. I don't expect AEW to be formidable #2 for at least two years.

Comment

Almost time for one of the most stacked cards in wrasslin history. Very high expectations, so the boys better bring it or else people will be disappointed.

Comment

Just a couple predictions...as we have gotten closer I've become pretty certain that:

-Tana is going to beat Omega tonight for the title
                            -Naito is definitely going to beat Jericho
                            -O'Spreay will beat Ibushi
                            -Young Bucks will do the honors in the Tag Title match
                            -Juice over Cody (obviously)
                            -Ishimori will dethrone KUSHIDA (Rumor is Kushida is going to WWE)

I see this being a card that has a lot of title changes. If NJPW feels Kenny is gone, they may go all the way with Jay White and have him beat Okada (though Im extremely doubtful on this one).

Comment

Originally posted by JTrain View Post
                              Just a couple predictions...as we have gotten closer I've become pretty certain that:

-Tana is going to beat Omega tonight for the title
                              -Naito is definitely going to beat Jericho
                              -O'Spreay will beat Ibushi
                              -Young Bucks will do the honors in the Tag Title match
                              -Juice over Cody (obviously)
                              -Ishimori will dethrone KUSHIDA (Rumor is Kushida is going to WWE)

I see this being a card that has a lot of title changes. If NJPW feels Kenny is gone, they may go all the way with Jay White and have him beat Okada (though Im extremely doubtful on this one).
                              Pretty much was going with the same. Let's also keep in mind if the G.o.D. are going anywhere, they would be dropping belts on consecutive nights. I doubt they are WWE or AEW bound.

With what you haven't covered.....

I predict Roppongi 3K to regain the Jr Tag belts (honestly these should be done away with. Not many Junior or flying juniors anymore and the tag division is thin)
                              ZSJ to win the British Title over Ishii
                              Suzuki-gun will win the title shot on the pre-show.

Comment

Working...
                              X