Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Chain and Cryptography for the Layman

Can one of you IT guys explain to me some of the bigger picture meaning with regard to block chain?

In particular, what is meant by "distributing ledgers?"

Doing some CPE and trying to make this practical. I feel so old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PBS; 11-26-2018, 07:02 PM.

Originally posted by PBS View Post
    Can one of you IT guys explain to me some of the bigger picture meaning with regard to block chain?

In particular, what is meant by "distributing ledgers?"

Doing some CPE and trying to make this practical. I feel so old.

I'll try my best...... Right now we mostly use centralized data which is located on one server or a cluster of servers in a location. Blockchain uses decentralization which is spreading the data across many different servers or computers.

If the data is updated in any location it replicates the change throughout the decentralized network. This reduces the chances of hacking, and it is hacked there is a fast record of it.

A company could be hacked and not know about it for months.

Hope that helps, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Comment

And from what I've learned in my field it's nearly impossible for counterfeiting and fraud is virtually impossible.

Comment

And from what I've learned in my field it's nearly impossible for counterfeiting and fraud is virtually impossible.

Correct, it lives on numerous nodes(pc's) and it is secured by cryptography. It can be data, documents, coins, etc....

On top of that, someone stole 100 million Ethereum, so the community restored from a backup and got it all back.......lol

Everything is tracked... Plus you can still take the data offline into cold storage.

Comment

Also, from what I've learned in my field is that nothing is impossible but the block chain holds transactions accountable unlike what is done in Washington.

I've heard that people in your profession are required to take 1-2 week breaks to ensure there aren't any anomalies while you're away.

Comment

Block chain now uses like .1% of the energy on the planet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../#7b0ce1984589

Comment

Working...
            X