Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Favourite (A+)

God I love this film. Incredible craft, brilliant script, phenomenal acting. Yorgos trying so hard to be Kubrick keeps it from being an A+, but I may end up giving in.

Update - I gave in.
    Last edited by worldofx; 11-28-2018, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• First Man (A-) So for this one, I'd give the cinema aspects an A and the story telling aspects a B. Also saw in IMAX at Waldo's suggestion.

There was the usual Chazelle brilliance: The shaky camera, the spectacular lunar scape shots, the piecing together. Not to mention the sound/score. If a terrible score ruined a movie for me(Dunkirk) this one absolutely made the movie for me. The silent moments were breathtaking. The way the pieced together the muffled moments in the cockpit, the metallic clanging, how to film a scene where someone is in a dead on unstoppable bank left..it was all just wonderful. The realism of the early rockets that seemed to be half falling apart before they even made it into space.

From a storytelling, there was just...something missing. Maybe some back story from his childhood or meeting his wife, or whatever. I get that part of the story was the mechanical type of person Armstrong for the most part was. Even keeping notes on his daughter's treatments in an engineering notebook, that hit me. I'm not sure exactly, and maybe it was the source material, but there was just something left out in the story for me that kept it from being spectacular. I'd probably have to watch again to know for sure what it was.

Comment

• Bladerunner 2049 (B+)

Cant imagine how good this movie could have been had they cast a real leading actor instead of that waste of god damn air Ryan Gosling. It clearly was an inferior film to the original, which is not a knock, most films are inferior to the original Blade Runner. That said, it was enjoyable and it kept with the spirit of the original.

Comment

• Originally posted by JTrain View Post
          Bladerunner 2049 (B+)

Cant imagine how good this movie could have been had they cast a real leading actor instead of that waste of god damn air Ryan Gosling. It clearly was an inferior film to the original, which is not a knock, most films are inferior to the original Blade Runner. That said, it was enjoyable and it kept with the spirit of the original.
          Ryan Gosling will always be worldofx 's "First Man".

Comment

• Searching (B+)

I echo most of what Waldo said about this movie. First 10 minutes gets you immediately invested on an emotional level. Its a very well made movie, it uses the modern world we live in (social media, texting, facetime, ect) extremely well to make a story thats been told before seem new. The twists are pretty obvious, but if you go into not expecting some mind blowing cerebral shit, you should be able to just enjoy the ride. Also, who knew that the fucking actor who made the term MILF famous would turn into such a good actor. Biggest negative, I could not for one single second buy Debra Messing as an investigator/cop. Just couldn't.

Comment

• The Sisters Brothers (C)

Uh, kind of a dud? Not sure what critics were thinking here. The ingredients are great but it came out of the oven completely under-baked.

A Prophet was a total masterpiece but Audiard has delivered three huge whiffs since, might be time to give up on him.

Comment

• The Wife (D+)

Airplane movie, maybe. Won't remember I watched this tomorrow.
                Last edited by worldofx; 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (C-)

Old enough to remember when Van Sant made progressive and cinematic films.

Comment

• Disobedience (C+)

If you've been waiting for a movie where Rachel Weisz drops a shitload of spit into Rachel McAdams mouth then you're in luck.

Comment

• The Old Man & the Gun (B-)

Sweet little love letter to Redford and his career, although Spacek was best in show. Needed at least 25% more process, but I enjoyed the photography.

Comment

• Mid 90s (B)

Jonah alllllmost had it. This was like a sketch outline of a very good movie. Kinda pissed he cut Katherine Waterson's part because she's fantastic and needed to be a much bigger presence in this. Some killer scenes but there's just not enough here.

Really love Reznor and Ross' theme to this film though. https://open.spotify.com/album/4fyH8qQJjj9WR939GCL1Sr

Comment

• A Quiet Place (B-)

Late to this but gotta give props to Krasinski on the level of craft, although I'm not here for him straight up lifting the Sicario score.

Childbirth scene was masterful, unfortunately it keeps going after that.

Comment

• Deadpool 2 (D+)

Yep it's as insufferable as the first one.

Comment

• Tully (B-)

Jason Reitman really doesn't deserve Charlize Theron.

Comment

• I saw The Post on HBO. What was the last memorable character Tom Hanks played? Did this get a lot of award play just because Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep were in it because I thought this was mailed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X