Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken-Fried ______________. And, I mean that anything can be chicken-fried in the South. But... let’s focus on my region, which is Virginia and North Carolina.

Biscuits. Sounds odd to anyone that grew up here that, as you go further north... even Northern Virginia... and you stop seeing biscuits. McDonalds has a “Biscuit Zone” which is basically a map of the South. In Virginia, you only find biscuits from Fredericksburg and south. Life without a well-made chicken biscuit is bleak.

Add some pork gravy, and you get Biscuits and Gravy, a staple through much of the south.

Another Southern staple is Brunswick Stew. I’m not a fan but people visit North Carolina just to have it.

Shoefly Pie. Now, I know this was brought here by mennonites from Pennsylvania. But, it’s big out in the mountains.

Pecan Pie is a staple. As are chess pies.

Smithfield Ham. Yep... about as Virginian as one can get. You see this delicacy on Christmas breakfasts a lot.

Pit-Cooked, whole hog BBQ. I won’t get into the sauce debate. But, yeah. Carolina is famous for it. Served with Cole slaw (blech!) or not. But, you have to tell them no slaw. Every. Single. Time.

Hush Puppies. Every BBQ restaurant worth anything has a family recipe. Some are sweet, others are not. You dip them in butter.

Grits. Yeah. This one is a staple in the South. I hate them... but without them you can’t have...

Shrump n’ Grits. No. Not a typo. I like it when they do a grit cake. That texture makes them more palatable to me.

Chicken & Dumplings. Nuff’ said. It’s a Canadian dish. But the South put its stamp on it.

Green beans boiled for hours with salt pork. They’re salty. They’re mushy. And if you serve them to a northerner, they recoil in fear.

Succotash. Yuck.

Collard Greens. Double yuck.

Hardly a comprehensive list. But yeah... just a few off the top of my head.

Comment

Pecans (and the eleventy billion ways to incorrectly pronounce the word) and Biscuits are two things I'm almost a little embarrassed to ignore as quintessentially Southern.

Grits are growing in popularity everywhere.

I live in Charleston, so I don't even bother discussing Shrimp 'n' Grits. People on this board think it's okay to eat Gulf Shrimp, so I already have a heap of disgust in my soul, therefore it isn't worth wasting time on the topic.

I like greens...But, I grew up eating them with my black friends, so I never really associate it as a Southern dish, specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post
        Pecans (and the eleventy billion ways to incorrectly pronounce the word) and Biscuits are two things I'm almost a little embarrassed to ignore as quintessentially Southern.

Grits are growing in popularity everywhere.

I live in Charleston, so I don't even bother discussing Shrimp 'n' Grits. People on this board think it's okay to eat Gulf Shrimp, so I already have a heap of disgust in my soul, therefore it isn't worth wasting time on the topic.

I like greens...But, I grew up eating them with my black friends, so I never really associate it as a Southern dish, specifically.
        It really is strange to think of buttermilk biscuits as being quintessentially Southern. But they totes are.

Comment

Fried chicken, cornbread, biscuits and gravy, grits, chicken and dumplings, a bunch of shit really.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
            Chicken-Fried ______________. And, I mean that anything can be chicken-fried in the South. But... let’s focus on my region, which is Virginia and North Carolina.

Biscuits. Sounds odd to anyone that grew up here that, as you go further north... even Northern Virginia... and you stop seeing biscuits. McDonalds has a “Biscuit Zone” which is basically a map of the South. In Virginia, you only find biscuits from Fredericksburg and south. Life without a well-made chicken biscuit is bleak.

Add some pork gravy, and you get Biscuits and Gravy, a staple through much of the south.

Another Southern staple is Brunswick Stew. I’m not a fan but people visit North Carolina just to have it.

Shoefly Pie. Now, I know this was brought here by mennonites from Pennsylvania. But, it’s big out in the mountains.

Pecan Pie is a staple. As are chess pies.

Smithfield Ham. Yep... about as Virginian as one can get. You see this delicacy on Christmas breakfasts a lot.

Pit-Cooked, whole hog BBQ. I won’t get into the sauce debate. But, yeah. Carolina is famous for it. Served with Cole slaw (blech!) or not. But, you have to tell them no slaw. Every. Single. Time.

Hush Puppies. Every BBQ restaurant worth anything has a family recipe. Some are sweet, others are not. You dip them in butter.

Grits. Yeah. This one is a staple in the South. I hate them... but without them you can’t have...

Shrump n’ Grits. No. Not a typo. I like it when they do a grit cake. That texture makes them more palatable to me.

Chicken & Dumplings. Nuff’ said. It’s a Canadian dish. But the South put its stamp on it.

Green beans boiled for hours with salt pork. They’re salty. They’re mushy. And if you serve them to a northerner, they recoil in fear.

Succotash. Yuck.

Collard Greens. Double yuck.

Hardly a comprehensive list. But yeah... just a few off the top of my head.
            Similar to biscuits, sweet tea didn’t get much love on a national stage until recently. I’ve never been a huge fan so it didn’t bother me too much, but that really blew my mind the first time I went north.

Comment

Fried okra. I can’t think of anywhere I’ve been that’s had it outside of the south.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamster View Post
                Fried okra. I can’t think of anywhere I’ve been that’s had it outside of the south.
                I always ate a ton at the Sizzler or Golden Corral when I was a kid...

The traditional kind

Comment

I don't think there is anything in the south I would care to eat, I grew up on steak and corn\potatoes in the actual midwest(Nebraska), not to be associated with the fatty cheese people up north.

Of course I would prefer Bison if available.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X