• Show
Clear All

• Duke lands #1 Recruit Harry Giles

Top class again next year.

Who gives a shit?

Comment

Hard to call him #1 with a torn ACL.

Comment

Heh. Considering how talented he is, it's easy. UK fans were salivating after he rescheduled his announcement shortly after Cal visited him. Alas, it was not meant to be for Kentucky or Kansas. Wake fans were delusional if they thought he'd go to anywhere but the Big Three.

We get to play, and in all likelihood lose, Kentucky in a few weeks. Better make it happen this year. Next year it's Duke's to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter4bucks
          Yea being #1 and all is a just a number. He's got physical problems and this isn't the 1st time.
          All true. A lot of that had to do with growth spurts. Again, Calipari wanted this kid. Bad. If he thought he was a risk, as many UK fans are saying now, he wouldn't have been recruiting him in Virginia.

Like Duke, you all have a terrific class coming in. But I think Giles will be special. Have you seen this kid play? He's nasty. He's rehabbing at Duke, so he'll be beneficiary to the best sports medicine school in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

All true. A lot of that had to do with growth spurts. Again, Calipari wanted this kid. Bad. If he thought he was a risk, as many UK fans are saying now, he wouldn't have been recruiting him in Virginia.

Like Duke, you all have a terrific class coming in. But I think Giles will be special. Have you seen this kid play? He's nasty. He's rehabbing at Duke, so he'll be beneficiary to the best sports medicine school in the country.
            As long as they don't wash the surgical tools with hydraulic oil.

He's good. I'm just pointing out he currently has a torn ACL which leads me to question his #1 ranking. That's all. I'd take a chance on him too.

Comment

This isn't 10 or even 15 years ago. It's done all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter4bucks
                Your point is what? You got a #1 that wont perform top 20?. Damn D.
                Nope. And if you think he won't be performing like a top-5, let alone a top-20... I hope that you're the guy prepping teams to face an absolutely loaded Duke team next year. I don't see anyone on this team, barring a breakout season, that will be in a good position to leave.

Comment

Duke is called the master of the 1 and done for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by daCat View Post
                    Duke is called the master of the 1 and done for a reason.
                    LOL. Yes. Because you call them that. I doubt Krzyzewski can dethrone Calipari.

Comment

LOL. Yes. Because you call them that. I doubt Krzyzewski can dethrone Calipari.
                      I thought you just said Duke had the #1 and done class again?

Comment

I said that next year's class has the potential for a few. Welcome to the way the game is played. Krzyzewski tried to play by the old rules in the 2000s. He was out-recruited at every end, taking guys like Kyle Singler and whiffing on the John Walls of the universe.

Calipari was the first to embrace this trend. And yes, I think he went overboard. But, the sad truth of it is that the best high school players have figured out that if the universities are going to use them, they are going to use the universities.

Until the NCAA changes the rules, and I hope they do, coaches have little choice but to recruit the most talented kids out there. We no longer live in the era in which Grant Hill, Jamaal Mashburn and Chris Webber stay past one year.

It also creates a new form of parity. Lesser schools can in many cases equalize the disparity in talent with experience. A team of five seniors will present challenges for teams like Duke and Kentucky, which seem to now both hoard the top-tier transient talent.

The fact is, if I'm correct about this year's class having few defections, Duke will have a Caliparian dilemma next year, with so much talent that Krzyzewski will have to limit the minutes of everyone, abandoning his rotation of six he prefers.

It'll be interesting. Still, I wouldn't call Duke THE one-n-done school but rather, a school that was forced to come to the realization that, to compete with Kentucky, they had to embrace the current situation rather than living in the past.

Comment

duke's recruiting will fall off now that coach K is no longer exploiting his status as Team USA coach for recruiting purposes.

also, does Giles come with a few extra ACLs?

Comment

surely deschet you have to see the irony though. duke is the school that (allegedly) had a fan write an angry letter to elton brand for leaving early. up until what 1999 or 2000 no duke players had left early. even after, you had 4 years of guys like battier who could have gone. (i think jason/jay williams was only 3?). and now, all of the sudden, they're doing the things that they specifically scorned.

delicious irony, from a hypocritical coach of the highest order.

Comment

I said that next year's class has the potential for a few. Welcome to the way the game is played. Krzyzewski tried to play by the old rules in the 2000s. He was out-recruited at every end, taking guys like Kyle Singler and whiffing on the John Walls of the universe.

Calipari was the first to embrace this trend. And yes, I think he went overboard. But, the sad truth of it is that the best high school players have figured out that if the universities are going to use them, they are going to use the universities.

Until the NCAA changes the rules, and I hope they do, coaches have little choice but to recruit the most talented kids out there. We no longer live in the era in which Grant Hill, Jamaal Mashburn and Chris Webber stay past one year.

It also creates a new form of parity. Lesser schools can in many cases equalize the disparity in talent with experience. A team of five seniors will present challenges for teams like Duke and Kentucky, which seem to now both hoard the top-tier transient talent.

The fact is, if I'm correct about this year's class having few defections, Duke will have a Caliparian dilemma next year, with so much talent that Krzyzewski will have to limit the minutes of everyone, abandoning his rotation of six he prefers.

It'll be interesting. Still, I wouldn't call Duke THE one-n-done school but rather, a school that was forced to come to the realization that, to compete with Kentucky, they had to embrace the current situation rather than living in the past.
                              You just laid out the exact opposite of the argument you were making 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X