Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * 31-0

Let’s say that Gonzaga conquers history itself, beating Baylor to become the first team since Bobby Knight’s ‘75-‘76 Hoosiers went undefeated, en route to winning it all. They’d also be the only team to do so in the 64-team era.

But, will that historic season have an asterisk? In a season played under the specter of the COVID-19 pandemic, which wrecked havoc on most programs at one point or another, and a tournament not featuring perennial blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky, with others such as Kansas and UNC being poor copies of their usual selves, will Gonzaga’s accomplishments be marked with an asterisk?

Is Gonzaga a generationally-talented team? Or, are they simply the best in a fundamentally challenging year for sports in general?

Hard to really put too much stock into it based on their conference. I mean an 11 seed gave them all they could handle.

Comment

Because Kentucky/Duke/Kansas/NorthCarolina didn't do it, it can't be legit?

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post
        Hard to really put too much stock into it based on their conference. I mean an 11 seed gave them all they could handle.

Comment

Originally posted by riker7 View Post
          That's exactly what the two posts above yours are saying.

Comment

Also, please stop blaming Covid because your team sucked.

Comment

No. I’m not saying that, precisely. Just that, in a year in which these powerhouses were not really there, one has to wonder as if college basketball was just in a very down year.

Comment

Also, please stop blaming Covid because your team sucked.
                My theory is that COVID benefitted older, more experienced teams who did not need to work as hard on team chemistry. Teams predicated on younger talent seemed to only begin to get into a rhythm towards the end of the season, if at all. Pre-Season schedules were all but scrapped. Home field advantages were all but negated. Do you think this is a coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post

That's exactly what the two posts above yours are saying.
                  Not exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

Not exactly.

Comment

No. I’m not saying that, precisely. Just that, in a year in which these powerhouses were not really there, one has to wonder as if college basketball was just in a very down year.

Comment

My theory is that COVID benefitted older, more experienced teams who did not need to work as hard on team chemistry. Teams predicated on younger talent seemed to only begin to get into a rhythm towards the end of the season, if at all. Pre-Season schedules were all but scrapped. Home field advantages were all but negated. Do you think this is a coincidence?

Comment

My theory is that Duke sucks and LMFAO @ Duke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll give them that they could be the greatest team in a down year ever.

Comment

I think Gonzaga is a good team, but that they were helped by Covid. What I mean is, I don't think they go undefeated in a regular year. They had 2, 3 games against teams that were down players because of Covid protocols? That may very well have emded their perfect seasons, but even if they have an off game, this is still one of the more talented teams of the last years and they're also very experienced. A championship would have been just as likely in a regular year.

Comment

Working...
                              X