Collapse

Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was younger and didn't have much else big/important in life then sports team success/failure was more important (heck, a lot of us joined this community in our college years during that time). However, most of us have aged enough to have more important things in life and sports has become just like any other form of entertainment. It's our male soap opera to follow and have something to discuss with other men in social settings where we don't know people that well. 90% of the time your sports team is going to disappoint you (unless you are Alabama) so just watch and wait for that 10% to happen hopefully? If not then it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by samnite View Post
      When I was younger and didn't have much else big/important in life then sports team success/failure was more important (heck, a lot of us joined this community in our college years during that time). However, most of us have aged enough to have more important things in life and sports has become just like any other form of entertainment. It's our male soap opera to follow and have something to discuss with other men in social settings where we don't know people that well. 90% of the time your sports team is going to disappoint you (unless you are Alabama) so just watch and wait for that 10% to happen hopefully? If not then it doesn't really matter.
      Yep.

Another thing to add into this is that my level of interest/emotional involvement is a good reflection of where I’m at in life. If I have the free time and mental energy to care a lot about sports, then my life is going pretty great.

Comment

I mostly quit college sports and now just focus on NBA and MLB.

Illinois got the 1 seed and I didn't watch a single game all year. Maybe if they made the title game I would watch, but meh.

I found out we hired Bret Bielema like 2 days ago and that shit was old ass news. That's how much I pay attention.

I did see the Beard news and immediately thought of TTU. What an absolute dick punch.

Comment

I’m still a Duke fan. I have been since I was five, sitting on my dad’s shoulders at my first Duke game, versus Carolina, at Cameron... back when it didn’t cost you a semester of college tuition to see a game. That’s not gonna change. Although, I missed a few games this year; college basketball was, in a word, uninspiring.

I’m a Mets fan. Meh.

I’m a Bears fan. Meh.

I’m a Celtics fan, but watched more Pelicans games because Zion.

Do I still believe in being a fan? Yes. Are these challenging times in which to do so? Again, yes.

But, that’s being a fan. You’re a fan in good times and bad. So long as you don’t get carried away? It’s cool. If you let it control your day-to-day life? You’re good. If you do? Reassess.

The end.

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
            is it really worth it?

The coaches are going to make promises and have demands. But they are ultimately going to do what they want to do.

The players, kids really are going to do what they are going to do. They are going to come or go. They are going to make plays or not.

You have no control over any of that.

Is it worth the mental/emotional stress? The money for tickets. The time spent traveling to and from games. The ruined days and weekends when they lose or leave?

Do the wins when they come make up for all that?

I've developed a pretty objective approach to viewing sports but to answer this question, yes it's worth the time and money to invest in being a fan because the personal experiences and memories are what's important, not whether your team wins or loses.

And for me I'll just say I remember the most painful losses (i.e. Rose Bowl vs. Texas) far more than whatever the highs were and in a twisted way the only thing I miss are those feelings of pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post
              Nope
              I feel I should elaborate.

Is it worth the emotional stress many of us experienced in our lives for an uncontrollable outcome? Fuck no.

Is it worth the money to go and experience sports in person? Fuck yes. This board, at its core, is a prime example of that. This group of fuckwads started as sports fans, and developed (mostly) into a virtual community with shared interests.

There are few things better than shared experiences with strangers and friends alike, and I cannot think of any place where that is more evident than a tailgate. Shit, using this board as an example again, and just my own experiences, I met multiple people at LSU (ibleed, gravel), Toledo (some ND fan that was cool, but I can't remember his handle), SCAR (bellefay, Gyle, SEC_Man, Cuse, aubie), Belk Bowl (getemgoat), and I'm guessing others I'm forgetting...That's just using this board and a few CFB games as examples.

So, is that aspect worth it? Every single day. Live sporting events, as entertainment and social entities are completely worth every single penny.

BUT

I no longer give a fuck about my teams winning or losing. I'm +7 from my home time zone, and I don't spend any extra time staying up to watch games. I'll check out some matinee games (welcome back, baseball) and enjoy those, but for the most part, I'm sticking to my highlights on YouTube and checking box scores. I spent too much energy pissed off as a GM-from-the-couch second guessing poor decisions from my teams, and in the past few years I realized it's fuckin' dumb to waste that time. Life is precious...I now watch more random shit like eurotrash kicking ball sport (fuck that stupid edit), Aussie Football, and Rugby...I have zero fucking clue what's going on, and that actually makes me enjoy it more. I have no vested interest in the outcomes, so I can just enjoy sport as sport.

I also have a very hard time comprehending why folks put so much of their life stock in the hands of children...Which, yes, college athletes (and many pros) are still children. The only children I allow to influence my emotions are the ones in my bloodline... Seeing people do and say vile things to kids playing games makes me fucking sick.

So, it's not as cut and dry as "nope", but the overall sentiment remains...I'm not going to allow sports and fandom to influence my well-being as I did for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
                I didn’t get the context of why this thread was created till now.
                I still don't

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

I'm just saying that from a competition and fairness standpoint. If you were to ask me who wins the next 10 Nebraska/tOSU meetings, I could get fairly close to that answer.

I doubt you can tell accurately who wins the next 10 Panther vs. Falcons meetings.
                  There are no winners in that scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post
                    I’m still a Duke fan. I have been since I was five, sitting on my dad’s shoulders at my first Duke game, versus Carolina, at Cameron... back when it didn’t cost you a semester of college tuition to see a game. That’s not gonna change. Although, I missed a few games this year; college basketball was, in a word, uninspiring.

I’m a Mets fan. Meh.

I’m a Bears fan. Meh.

I’m a Celtics fan, but watched more Pelicans games because Zion.

Do I still believe in being a fan? Yes. Are these challenging times in which to do so? Again, yes.

But, that’s being a fan. You’re a fan in good times and bad. So long as you don’t get carried away? It’s cool. If you let it control your day-to-day life? You’re good. If you do? Reassess.

The end.
                    Is deschet grown up NCK?

Comment

Originally posted by worldofx View Post

I've developed a pretty objective approach to viewing sports but to answer this question, yes it's worth the time and money to invest in being a fan because the personal experiences and memories are what's important, not whether your team wins or loses.

And for me I'll just say I remember the most painful losses (i.e. Rose Bowl vs. Texas) far more than whatever the highs were and in a twisted way the only thing I miss are those feelings of pain.
                      You ever play poker?

There is an old saying, one that I will botch, that goes something like "poker players can barely remember details of their biggest pots, but can tell you with painstaking clarity the exact playouts of their worst beats".

Comment

Fan comes from the word fanatic; a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, There is no rationality to it, so it really boils down to an individuals ability to put things into proper perspective. Allow the wins to make you feel good, accept the losses and understand there is nothing that can happen in the game that is going to directly effect your actual life.

Win or lose, 95% of this site will still be a collection of inept, unintelligent cockwits. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by DPR View Post

You ever play poker?

There is an old saying, one that I will botch, that goes something like "poker players can barely remember details of their biggest pots, but can tell you with painstaking clarity the exact playouts of their worst beats".
                          Poker, like motivational speeches and self help seminars, is for junkies who run off of emotion and ego. I don’t mind it, and I certainly think people should be allowed to spend their time that way, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by JTrain View Post
                            Fan comes from the word fanatic; a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, There is no rationality to it, so it really boils down to an individuals ability to put things into proper perspective. Allow the wins to make you feel good, accept the losses and understand there is nothing that can happen in the game that is going to directly effect your actual life.
                            I agree with this wholeheartedly. Rational Fan is an oxymoron. Who has ever met a UNC fan who is so rational that he admits that UNC should have been given the Death Penalty, or a Duke fan who acknowledges that the NCAA has a vested monetary incentive for Duke to reach the Final Four. You might find two or three... which is two or three more than Kentucky. So, I guess there’s that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschet View Post

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Rational Fan is an oxymoron. Who has ever met a UNC fan who is so rational that he admits that UNC should have been given the Death Penalty, or a Duke fan who acknowledges that the NCAA has a vested monetary incentive for Duke to reach the Final Four. You might find two or three... which is two or three more than Kentucky. So, I guess there’s that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresneck View Post

I mean... tell me if this was VCU, Marquette, or some other program which makes the NCAA far less money, if they wouldn’t have been given much worse than UNC’s slap on the wrist.

Comment

Working...
                                X