Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring about sports...

is it really worth it?

The coaches are going to make promises and have demands. But they are ultimately going to do what they want to do.

The players, kids really are going to do what they are going to do. They are going to come or go. They are going to make plays or not.

You have no control over any of that.

Is it worth the mental/emotional stress? The money for tickets. The time spent traveling to and from games. The ruined days and weekends when they lose or leave?

Do the wins when they come make up for all that?

Nope

Comment

Caring about sports it’s irrational, but I don’t give a fuck and will continue to care.

Comment

Originally posted by TTURedRaider View Post
        is it really worth it?

The coaches are going to make promises and have demands. But they are ultimately going to do what they want to do.

The players, kids really are going to do what they are going to do. They are going to come or go. They are going to make plays or not.

You have no control over any of that.

Is it worth the mental/emotional stress? The money for tickets. The time spent traveling to and from games. The ruined days and weekends when they lose or leave?

Do the wins when they come make up for all that?
        I definitely don't care about sports teams as much as I used to. I'm more involved in my kids playing sports and most importantly teaching them how to be a part of a team. Sports have many great learning opportunities about life and yourself if you play them.

Unfortunately as you get older those learning moments are about getting paid these days.

Comment

Let’s break this down a bit, because I think it’s a little complicated for me.

Caring really comes down to your level of investment. There was a point in time where wins and losses impacted my emotional state, but I moved past that a long time ago. Now in the moment? I totally care. I let myself get into it and enjoy the highs and lows, but when the game is over, it’s over. There’s no reason to give what happens any special importance, it’s just a temporary distraction from the mundane bullshit of every day life. It’s no different than Game of Thrones or whatever, really.

Comment

Pretty much what hookems said.

Comment

I didn’t get the context of why this thread was created till now.

Comment

Originally posted by ivegostdacityblues View Post
                I didn’t get the context of why this thread was created till now.
                Yeah, just found out myself.

Sorry TTU.

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post
                  Let’s break this down a bit, because I think it’s a little complicated for me.

Caring really comes down to your level of investment. There was a point in time where wins and losses impacted my emotional state, but I moved past that a long time ago. Now in the moment? I totally care. I let myself get into it and enjoy the highs and lows, but when the game is over, it’s over. There’s no reason to give what happens any special importance, it’s just a temporary distraction from the mundane bullshit of every day life. It’s no different than Game of Thrones or whatever, really.

Yea, this. Sometimes I don’t get over a loss right away (see Kawaii game 7 quadruple doink lucky ass bullshit shot) if it’s a huge game but it doesn’t affect my life.

Comment

I can watch Wes Byrum kick a fg to win a natty or hear Rod’s call when I see a clip of the kick six and still get goosebumps. I can think about the Super Bowl and remember what it was like after that game at my friends house and get a little depressed.

I’ll take them both and live in the middle.

Comment

This one caught me off guard. It came as a Shaka.

Comment

I call it Mike Price Syndrome, but I never understand why you'd leave a well-paying job at a power conference school where you're a bonafide hero to take over a team thats going to be all too happy to chew you up and spit you out. Theres a reason Shaka bolted for Marquette.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollaski View Post
                          I call it Mike Price Syndrome, but I never understand why you'd leave a well-paying job at a power conference school where you're a bonafide hero to take over a team thats going to be all too happy to chew you up and spit you out. Theres a reason Shaka bolted for Marquette.
                          Shaka Smart needs the right fit to work. He was successful at VCU because everyone in the program bought into his coaching methods. At Texas, things just never seemed right. I think that Marquette is closer to what he’s ready for. Small, but not too small.

Comment

The answer is you don’t. Wichita State is the best job in D1.

Comment

At Texas all it takes is to lose a game where a kid on the other team does Horns Down and the coach is on the hot seat.

They they perpetually bitch about why they underachieve afford everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X